Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed

+5
Sparky
FluffSlave
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
KatieB
9 posters

Go down

Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed Empty Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 am

So Charlie has liver damage and this is most likely coming from toxins in his gut. 

John said that this means he is going to have to be on a Hay and Grass only diet. 

Are anyone elses buns on this?  Im worried cos he is not a big hay eater at all! 

Any ideas where I can get grass - thats not chemically treated or wee'd on by dogs and cats?  I just dont know where to start but I do know that the grass in my garden isnt going to last very long.

I have no idea how I am going to resist his face at breakfast and dinner time.

It will of course do Annabelles rump no harm at all!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed Empty Re: Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 am

I'm sorry to hear this Katie. As if the poor little guy doesn't have enough to deal with Sad

Readigrass? I know you can't feed too much of it, but it could be a nice change for him now and then?

Have you tried him with green oat hay? Molly and Junior love it!

I'm no help on the grass front I'm afraid... All I can suggest is raiding the lawns of your family, friends and neighbours. You could grow some in pots too. Not that it'd last long....

Good luck resisting his little begging face Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed Empty Re: Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:44 am

Grow Organic grass seed in Organic soil, we are growing grass seed's at the moment from The Hay Experts in Organic soil. You should be able to buy both at B&Q .

This is what we are growing http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/timothy-meadow-grass-seed.html as we are not putting the mini bun 8 on greens just hay and grass. This below is the Timothy grass seeds

Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed GrassSeeds001

Charlie and his new Diet - Help needed GrassSeeds002

Galens Garden also do some different tasty grass seeds  http://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/seeds/grass-seeds

Whatever you go for just make sure you sow them in Organic soil Very Happy

Galens Garden also do a 'Liver Support' tincture but it doesn't tell you anything about it  http://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/potions/tinctures-syrups/liver-support-tincture

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Oh, poor little guy Sad

Does hay and grass diet allow dried herbs and forages? 

As Thumper2001 suggested, Readigrass might make a nice change for him now and again.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:04 pm

How do buns do on this kind of a diet?  Im guessing they do really well?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Katieb wrote:How do buns do on this kind of a diet?  Im guessing they do really well?

Well they should have perfect teeth that's for sure and I would think it would be an excellent diet for their digestion Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:53 pm

We are growing Timothy grass seed from Rabbit Nutrition - it took a little while and a bit of sun before it started growing but now it is growing fast, a couple of inches a week at least.

Is he allowed other wild forage? There should be loads of it about at the moment - different plantains, hawthorn, brambles (us lot love brambles, even the prickly bits), dandelion leaves. The RWAF did a blog that included Forage Friday - search on there using the word 'forage' and it will give you lots of nice clear piccies of things buns can eat. A good excuse for a nice walk... you could send Annie Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:15 pm

i have no advice but poor guy sending him and you hugs HugsHugsHugsHugsHugsHugsHugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Well dinner was just horrible! He threw his bowl of grass at me and went and sulked in the litter tray while Annie tucked in ( of course) . So he's eaten nothing really.  I've ordered a selection of hays from a Selection of places to see if he can be persuaded to munch something. 

I'm going  to call john in the morning and ask about forage and I'm also going to weigh him as well so I can make sure he doesn't lose to much.  

I've been out in the shed with them, he has made it very clear I am no longer his friend.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Would it do any harm for them both to go on the hay and greens diet?

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:28 pm

They are both on Hay and Grass only, the problem is Charlie just eats so little of both..... The diet will do no harm at all to Annie, she needs to lose a lb or two.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 pm

I am wondering whether you could cut the hay to different lengths to see if one length suits him better?

You could try wetting the hay to see if he prefers that. 

Do you add in dried herbs or forage- Rose petals go down a storm with my pair as do brambles. 

Have you tried the fibafirst?

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 am

Im going to ring John later and ask about him eating other things.

The impression I got was that he was ONLY allowed grass and hay, which is going to prove a problem as there are clover and dandis in my garden anyway and I dont really want to keep him locked in for two weeks...he'd be miserable.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 pm

I am sending lots of healing vibes too hun.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 pm

oh no, I am sure just hay and grass will be really healthy but they might think they are being punished! 
hopefully lots of cuddles will make up for lack of veg
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 pm

What did John say, Katie? Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 pm

I didn't get to speak to him today :-(  Charlie seems ok though, sulking with me and putting on a sad face but I just caught him binkying around the garden
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Katieb wrote:I didn't get to speak to him today :-(  Charlie seems ok though, sulking with me and putting on a sad face but I just caught him binkying around the garden

Oh no Sad

It's all for show Wink

Willow would do exactly the same!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Ha ha, i think he was hoping to binky without your seeing him LOL!!

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel&Nibbler Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't have anything to suggest but I hope he forgives you soon and starts tucking in more!
Rachel&Nibbler
Rachel&Nibbler
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2379
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down