Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relaxing your rabbit..?!

+4
Babybunnies4
coco
Laura
Haltom
8 posters

Go down

Relaxing your rabbit..?! Empty Relaxing your rabbit..?!

Post by Haltom Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi, we are Haley, Tom and new continental giant rabbit Harry! Tom and i have been together 5 years and have always had cats but since moving into a flat with no outside access we have decided to welcome Harry into our home. He is ten weeks old and have been with us for one week. He was born in a shed in a litter of fifteen He is a light steel colour with one permeantly lopped ear. I was a little nervous of him at first as i havnt had a rabbit since i was five and being awear of those sharp teeth scared me a little. I didnt really know how to hold him (and still wonder) so ive done a bit of reading up and have had to figure it for myself. Harry was very shy at first, but we did our research and took things slowly, picking him up just once a day, not entering his sleeping area and not forcing ourselves on him. As ive only ever had cats in the past i felt a little bit cruel leaving him all alone at such a young age because if he was a kitten i would smother him with attention. I have bribed him out with treats and stroked him about three or four times a day. He now comes to us for treats when called and will come over and nudge us for strokes. Last night i brought him to bed with us for a little while and he lay happily grinding his teeth while we stroked him. Horray!!! So..early days yet but its already lots of fun. Any advice/tips are welcome i really want Harry to be as relaxed as possible. I have a persian cat called Chino, (currently living with my mum so he can enjoy her garden) who will let you pick him up any way you like and who will lye on his back and is just all floppy and very placid. I would like Harry to feel comfortable enough to behave like this! Have you seen Thor the Giant Rabbit on YouTube? Thats what i mean! Anyway, thanks guys and hi from us! X Wave
Haltom
Haltom
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Relaxing your rabbit..?! Empty Re: Relaxing your rabbit..?!

Post by Laura Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 am

He sounds pretty relaxed to me!! Especially as a babie settling into a new home. Making sure he has some nice hiding places for privacy (my little man likes to go under the sofa or under the telephone table!). When you see him "hoppy flop" on his side or stretched his legs out behind him when he sits down - that means he's ultimately relaxed and comfortable in his surroundings. Wave
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2356
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 am

sorry, totally off topic, but we need pictures of your bunnieeee! that avatar isnt enough! Laughing

edit -

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Is this the one? Is Thor on steriods or something?! He dwarfs my giants!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:44 am

If that is the video you mean then the reason Thor is looking so "relaxed" is that he is scared, being a prey animal when rabbits are turned over often they will "play dead" to get the "preditor" to leave them alone.
So unless you need to turn Harry upside down (to check bits etc) then I suggest you leave him the right way up and give him head/nose rubs.
He does sound very relaxed and happy with you already so you wouldn't want to scare him by flipping him over.
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:38 pm

Blimey, Thor is enorrrrmous!

He is probably pooping his pants being on his back.
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Haltom Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Aww, thanks Guys!! Great to get some feedback, well, sounds like little Harry rabbit is doing really well then. I've seen him doing the back legs out behind him things a few times, lke streched chicken legs, really cute! I didnt realise he would be scared on his back! Poor Thor! I guess i have to get used to Harry being a rabbit and not a cat, like i'm used to. He will go behind the sofa now and again if we move too quickly or we are being too noisey for him!
Hmm, I think i might have over done it with the spring greens the last day or two because harry's poo isnt quite as solid as it once was... i've given him lots of hay and dry food and we're going to lay of the greens for a day or two...ooops!
HTH x
Haltom
Haltom
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonA Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Hello Wave Where are all these Essex people appearing from all of a sudden Very Happy

There's a really cool little book called 'the relaxed rabbit' - it's a book of bunny massage techniques. It's a bit stick-picturey but I really like it and some of the techniques have worked really well for me, especially on foster buns which have arrived really tense. Might be worth trying to get hold of a copy Very Happy

AlisonA
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:29 pm

As he's only a young 'un, I'd probably cut our the spring greens for now and wait until he's a little older. Babies tummies are so delicate. I think it's best to start introducing veggies at about 5 months. I might be wrong though.
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi Wave We had a similar situ to you with Bertie, it took ages, but this site was a real help. You have to be prepared to lay on the floor having twitching sessions, which is funny, but it may work. He'll come to you if you let him, and try and hold some feed on your hand at ground level. It may take a few tries/days, but when he eats off your hand, that's quite a breakthrough Very Happy

Where's the pics of Harry :luv: Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:15 am

Thats a brilliant site Jay, not seen it before
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:12 am

The manouver where rabbits are placed on their backs is often referred to as 'Trancing' because the rabbit goes into a defensive state where they are so scared they literally 'play dead'. It's often mistaken for a sign of relaxation because the rabbit keep so still and adopts a position that a human would consider comfortable and relaxed in our own body language.

Whilst trancing is not somethign to be undertaken regularly it does have it's place such as during nail triming or when sexing a rabbit so long as the rabbit does not remain in the position for any longer than is strictly necessary.

A rabbit who lays with 'chicken legs' is however an extremely happy one Wink
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down