Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flopsy ideas please

+4
Sixer
jolovesbunnies
FluffSlave
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
8 posters

Go down

Flopsy ideas please  Empty Flopsy ideas please

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Flopsy had a pooey bottom today. A massive clump of soft squishy poo stuck to him. He never has a pooey bottom Sad. The only thing I think could of caused it was the protexin profibre, he had some yesterday after a few months break. Although he didn't eat much of it to be honest. I really don't know the cause. I'm absolutely petrified of him getting flystrike and I check his underneath 2-4 times a day. Tomorrow I go back to college and all I'm going to do is worry about him.

I just don't know what to do anymore for the best. He doesn't eat hay (ocassionally he'll eat the odd strand or two) but other than that - he relies on pellets and oats. He's gone off critical care after being on it about 6 weeks. I have no way of giving him his tramadaol, I used to mix it in the critical care but he's no longer having that. He absolutely hates the tramadol and won't take it even when disguised with Ella's kitchen baby food.

I gave him a bum bath and got off the poo, I also cut the matted fur on his tail the best I could. Due to Flopsy's kidney disease - he has incontinence so wee's everywhere. I also found a sore hock/callous on one of his feet. I've applied sudocrem on his sore hock. He spends the majority of his time in the run that's attached to the shed. The run is on concrete, so I've put down a thick layer of newspaper and hay. The inside of the shed is lino. I would put hay on top of the Lino but I don't want to encourage it to be used as a toilet. The Lino isn't sealed so don't want too much urine going under. He doesn't spend much time on the Lino anyway.

I don't know how people cope with having poorly bunnies. It's so stressful. I just am at a loss of what to do.

He eats very little now, he gets a 15ml scoop of rolled oats and mature science selective pellets offered to him 2/3 times a day but he doesn't finish it all sometimes. He keeps changing his mind at what he likes/dislikes. I honestly don't know what else to feed him.

Any suggestions are really appreciated, I need something to help maintain and build up his weight. He unfortunately doesn't like fibafirst Sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

Flopsy ideas please  Empty Re: Flopsy ideas please

Post by FluffSlave Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 pm

I am sorry to hear Flopsy is struggling so badly Sad

The only thing I can suggest is that you keep at it with the Critical Care. Do you syringe feed him or was he eating it willingly? How stressed does he get when you try to syringe feed him? Ideally you do need to get that Tramadol into him as it will help him.

What are his favourite things to eat? Could you crush/blend them up if they're a bit too hard for him to tackle whole?

I really hope you can find something - you know your boy and you'll know when he's ready, but until then I am sending vibes to the both of you Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Oh sweetie what a lot of horrible and worrying things. I hope something works out and I am sending lots of loves and kisses. Please do keep us informed. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:10 pm

FluffSlave wrote:I am sorry to hear Flopsy is struggling so badly Sad

The only thing I can suggest is that you keep at it with the Critical Care. Do you syringe feed him or was he eating it willingly? How stressed does he get when you try to syringe feed him? Ideally you do need to get that Tramadol into him as it will help him.

What are his favourite things to eat? Could you crush/blend them up if they're a bit too hard for him to tackle whole?

I really hope you can find something - you know your boy and you'll know when he's ready, but until then I am sending vibes to the both of you Hugs

He was eating the critical willingly up until about a week ago. Occasionally he'll eat it now but it depends on how thick/runny it's made! I can't keep up as one minute he prefers it runny and the next he prefers it thicker! I don't want to force it down him at all as it wouldn't be fair on him at all. It's impossible to force anything down Flopsy. At the moment he likes those Russell rabbit carrot bake things. He also likes dandelions. Other than that he doesn't like much anymore.
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:46 pm

I am so sorry to read that you are struggling with Flopsy, you are right poorly bunnies are very stressful.

I find that my buns all really enjoy dried herbs and forage. I have just bought a load of The Hay Experts own branded forage. Also Galens Garden do a range of pellets and dried forage. Mine are also enjoying the Vetcare Plus digestive health formula sticks.

Thinking of you and Flopsy Hugs
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:02 am

Tonight has been a disaster pale Crying or Very sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Oh dear! I'm sorry that it is such struggle and all you want to do is what is best for Flopsy. Sending hugs for you and vibes for Flopsy.
Hugs albino Hugs albino Hugs

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:34 pm

I hope today is better for you love It is times like this when I wish I had a magic wand. Lots of top up loves on their way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:56 pm

I so sorry to hear he is in such a bad way bless him.

All I can suggest is liquidising some fresh carrot and adding his Tramadol to this.

I wish I could offer some more help

K
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I am sending top up vibes yours and Flopsy's way Hugs

How is he doing this evening?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:12 pm

I hope Flopsy manages to eat something and take his medicine, hopefully some nomming vibes will help.
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Sending nom nom good vibes for Flopsy!
gentl
gentl