Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back from the vets... *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!*

+5
BugsBunny
jolovesbunnies
c.bolduan
Thumper2001
FluffSlave
9 posters

Go down

Back from the vets...        *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!* Empty Back from the vets... *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!*

Post by FluffSlave Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:23 pm

...the bunnies went for their vaccinations and a manicure tonight.

The vet also had a look in both of their mouths though and has said she can see tiny spurs on both buns Shocked

I am really surprised about this in Willow - she is a total hay monster and always has been. Mo eats plenty of hay too, but I've always worried about his teeth with the shape of his head and also not knowing what his diet was like before he came to me...

At the moment the vet doesn't want to do anything. Both of them are 100% fine and have actually gained weight (Willow is at her heaviest!) and Mr Mo is at 1.65kg which is heavier for him than usual. They're both eating normally and perfectly happy, so for the moment we've decided we'll just "wait and see". The vet did say that some bunnies can have them without being affected at all and don't need any intervention.

My question is, does anyone have any experience of this (buns existing happily with small spurs)?

I really, really hope this is the case for them both, but particularly for my Willby as heaven knows what I'll do if she needs a GA  Hmmm

THE FUN OF BUNNY WORRIES JUST NEVER STOPS!!  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by FluffSlave on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Back from the vets...        *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!* Empty Re: Back from the vets... *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!*

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:32 pm

It really doesn't, does it?!

I'm sorry I've no useful advice but I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't give them any trouble Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Back from the vets...        *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!* Empty Re: Back from the vets... *U/D - Rather Annoyed!!*

Post by c.bolduan Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Yes love they can. Depending where they are located and of course if how fast they grow. Bertie had his spur for nearly three years and not shown any signs until one day he started to lose weight wouldn't eat his ceothophobes(spelled wron again surely) and had his dental. Afterwards back to all normal putting weight on slowly.
Hence I would say it is fine to observe but if any changes occur it is time to consider a treatment. So yes they will keep you on your toes as usually! But well worth it!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you Thumper2001 Hugs

c.bolduan - that is refreshing to know. Considering they're both the heaviest they've been and are quite happily eating as normal I am happy enough to leave them for now. Will keep a very close eye on them both though. I know their habits/routine so well that I'll pick up on any changes as soon as they happen Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:32 pm

I am sorry to hear this sweets but I have had no experience of this either. Please keep us updated.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Hugs for your worries hun and hope they are okay, I am afraid I cannot be of much help but sending vibes that all is okay.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Yes anti spur vibes for you folks, or at least the bunnies. May the tooth fairy be on guard. Very Happy Hugs

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:26 pm

All mine have had dentals for spurs at some point, only (touchwood) Gabe and Hollie have needed them sorting out this year. That was Hollie's first dental (she is 7) and this was Gabe's second (he is 7 too).

Gabe had his teeth looked at a month ago when I took him back for some more metacam. He is developing spurs again but is absolutely fine and happy in himself and has put on weight. I am sure if all the buns had their teeth looked at there would be evidence of spurs but my vet is not in a rush to do anything about them until they start to cause problems.

Try not to worry about Willow and Mojo. They receive such good care that you will now if something is amiss straight away.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:15 pm

I don't know how i missed this!

I don't have anything of use to offer hun, but I totally agree... bunny worry is never ending. good job they are worth it!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:32 pm

To love something as we love our buns automatically comes worry but the thought of being without them?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Best advice would be to keep a close eye on their weight as this might be your first indicator before you really notice them not eating.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reassurance everybody Hugs

Mr Mo is going in for his usual 'hair-do' on Monday (sedation and full body shave) so I'll get them to take Willow's weight again as well. And maybe have a look in Mo's mouth whilst he's a bit more co-operative...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Cant say I have, but it doesnt surprise me. Dolly can go a while with spurs without noticing any difference. The only symptom she starts to get is gradual weight loss, and an increase in drinking if it starts to get sore, but this very rarely happens. As it goes, their teeth were perfect at their last check up (again, i was shocked, as theyre nethies! touch wood, ive never had a prob with Marley).

Im glad that the little couple are otherwise doing well Smile xxx
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Good luck at the vets tomorrow hun.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks Jo Hugs

Dropped them off early this morning and will ring later to see how he's doing. They're going to try and get a better look at his teeth while he's sedated if they can. Will see what they find.

It's so weird not having them at home. Can't get used to it! Laughing
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:04 pm

I've just rang up to see how he was doing, only to be told that they've gone ahead and done a full blown dental on him! No

I'm not annoyed at the fact he's had a dental - if he needed it, he needed it. What I AM annoyed at however is that they've gone ahead and done this without our permission - neither me or mum received any calls asking if it was ok for them to go ahead with this and the bill is now considerably more expensive than I was expecting. I don't necessarily have the money to pay all of this!

It's not our usual vet that has done this, it's our least favourite vet. Whilst he's rabbit savvy he's a total money grabber and will take any opportunity to charge over the hilt that he can. I suspect that's why this has been done. I did also stress that our usual vet is not particularly worried whilst he's gaining weight and happy as he was about doing a dental Mad

Where do I stand here guys? Am I right in thinking that they didn't have the right to go ahead and do this without my permission?

Really angry... I will definitely be saying something about this when I go to collect him.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:23 pm

It's tricky. It's tempting to say that you're not paying it but then you don't know when you might need them again and burning bridges with your vet is never a good idea.

I think I'd be tempted to teach them a lesson though. Tell them you can't afford it all in one go, and you'll need to pay it up. But still pay it as soon as possible. Give him at least 1 night to have a long hard think about it!!!

Did you sign a consent form at all? Did you read it? Just in case it says anything about addition procedures that they deem necessary...
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Yes, I agree, as you didn't consent you shouldn't have to pay. Tell them you cannot afford it all in one go as you hadn't budgeted for it just now. Please let us know what they say love, money grabbing b......!!

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:33 pm

We went to collect him about 6pm and explained the situation. The vet nurse who we spoke to was very apologetic and said that she would only charge us for the original, planned shave and sedation. They're going to ring my mum tomorrow but they seem happy to let us delay payment for the dental and have admitted to their mistake...

I really do love our vets (it's just that one vet I can't stand!) and they are normally very reasonable. They'd be silly to send us elsewhere also as we have been loyal customers for over twenty years and between the buns and the dogs (one who has a very expensive skin condition) we throw a lot of money their way.

I'm not angry that he had the dental. I'm glad it's been done if he needed it. But all I asked them to do was to look at his teeth in better detail whilst he was sedated. As far as I'm aware nothing I signed gave them permission to go ahead with the dental.

It's just annoying as if he needed this done I would have liked to have picked a suitable day/time for it. He's obviously not wanting to eat much and with having to go to work tomorrow I'm not going to be able to keep as close an eye on him as I would like to, not to mention being completely unprepared for syringe feeding etc if it came to that...

I am a bit miffed about it all Sad

Mo is alright. He's very drowsy and looking rather ridiculous after his shave but he's alright all the same. They've been home an hour or so, so will see how he is in a bit.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:18 pm

I can understand why you are annoyed. The flip side however is that it is not always easy to see the furthest molars when rabbits are conscious, it may well be that Mojo's teeth were slightly worse than anticipated when the vet had a good like whilst he was sedated.

The vet may well also have thought it made sense to carry out the dental whilst he was sedated rather than having him back at a later date and sedate him again. In the long run, if Mojo did need a dental in the future it will probably work out cheaper having both procedures done at the same time. I know my vet carries our dentals under a very light sedation - it may well be that the vet didn't want to break off to try and contact you.

I hope Mojo has come round a wee bit now. I have not normally had problems with bunnies starting to eat after a dental. Noo did once but this was also when her kidneys were playing up. Have you any metacam for Mojo?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:53 pm

All of the above is true Sixer, and I'm glad he's had it now rather than the scenario you put forward. It did make 100% sense and if they'd have rung and asked I'd have given them the go ahead. It's just that it was quite a nasty shock when I got the bill! Laughing

I will cover the rest ASAP. I can cover it, but as Thumper2001 said, it's more a matter of principle.

I realise that they only ever have the animal's best interests at heart though and that is what makes them such a great practice.

Mo has picked up and has munched some freshly picked grass. There I was, out in the garden in my pyjamas and bunny slippers at 8.30, picking the lawn in the pitch black - I really hope no neighbours saw me Laughing No
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:27 pm

That is true hun, it is the principle, you know you would have agreed anyway but it would nice to have been asked.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down