Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished!

+7
Josephine
Catsknickers
Sixer
Babybunnies4
Becca6
racheld69
buddabun
11 posters

Go down

DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! Empty DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished!

Post by buddabun Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:57 am

Well we have been busy over the last few days making an 'activity centre' for the cats. We saw a fantastic one in the pet shop but it was over $400 (about 150 GBP) and we thought "no way". So we bought some 4x4, some plywood and a power saw/sander (yes, after one day spend sawing and filing we both had sore arms and decided to splash out Laughing) and came up with this. I reckon the bunnies might like to try it one day (supervised of course) as they are adventurous little so-and-sos

Please note - the whole thing is not yet secured in place, just balanced etc and the 'ramps' are not secured to anything and so won't be at such a sharp angle (ha!). They are for illustration puposes only Smile
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4368
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4367
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4366

Aside from that, I have been trying to think of a way to dilute out the horrible white strip lighting we have on the ceilings. Our lamps don't give off enough light if we have people round in the evenings so we have to light a zillion candles Laughing

In the end I came up with this. I am quite proud of it as our stepladder is made of jelly and I nearly fell several times. My fingers are blistered from screwing tiny hoops into the ceiling but I like the end result Very Happy
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4358
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4359

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!

Here is the finished cat/rabbit activity tree thing! It was painted, wrapped in rope and the platforms covered in carpet (colour coordinated to match the rest of the room of course Laughing) and screwed in place. It is just over 5' tall with a 4' x 3' baseboard in case anyone's interested (and it cost us roughly $200 or 80GBP to make).

We are chuffed Very Happy
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4412
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4411

Levels (note the corner level - my baby :luv:):
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4414

All 3 top platforms have lips round 3 sides for kitty snoozings:
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4413

Keeping the upright posts secure with more rope:
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4409

Rope, scratching posts used as ramps:
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! DSC_4406

We had fun making it but are both knackered with skinned hands from all that banging and screwing Laughing

Last edited by buddabun on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! Empty Re: DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished!

Post by racheld69 Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13 am

loving the activity centre! can see them leaping all over that! v. clever with the ceiling - looks professionally done.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! Empty Re: DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished!

Post by Becca6 Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:49 am

Wow I love the activity centre. I wish I could make something like that. The one Ollie has cost me about £70 I think and that was reduced by a lot as they'd had it ages and wanted to get rid of it. I bet the bunnies will love it to.

And I love the things on the ceiling (what would they be called?).
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:27 am

The activity centre looks great, how tall is it?
The drapes (?) look really nice, I would have thought they were professionally done if you hadn't told us Very Happy
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:05 am

OMG - you are so clever.

The cat play tower is brilliant. Are you sure you are not keeping all the kittens Wink

And as for the drapes, what a brilliant idea Thumbs Up

PS Mr B is very clever too!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 am

That look amazing. Wow H, the house is looking wonderful! What a fab idea for the ceiling!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 am

That all looks brilliant. You are so clever and creative. Well done on both your projects.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:33 pm

I must admit the drape thingies were nicked from a shop (the idea, not the fabric Laughing) but it's a right pain in the bum to put up! Makes a difference though. For reference, here is a 'before' shot. This was just after we'd moved in. Maybe 2 weeks?
DIY Chez the Buddabuns - U/D finished! Livingroom

As for the activity centre, there are so many cheap hardware stores around that we reckoned we could do it ourselves. It is currently outside drying off its first lick of paint. It's going to be chocolate brown with dark red carpet on the horizontal bits (if we can find carpet that is!).
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Its like changing rooms. You should be a designer.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by sally1974 Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Looks fantastic Very Happy and your kittens will love the activity centre.
Sallyx

sally1974
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1419

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Catswhiskas wrote:Its like changing rooms. You should be a designer.

PMSL I think not my dear! All we did was buy our own stuff. TBH I HATED the colour of the sofa when we bought it but it was the only one we'd found in a fortnight of searching that was even vaguely comfortable. So we bought it thinking we would have it reupholstered (apparently it's quite cheap) and ended up using it as a 'theme' colour Laughing I would never have pegged myself for a red kinda gal.

Charl I have to say I love your front room - light blues and cream they just go so well together.

I think the kittens are going to have to treble in size before they will be able to use the cat tree - the big timber is 5ft tall! But it is fun making it and the cat might well use it.
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:17 pm

The drapes are great, they really make a difference, the lights looked a bit cold before!
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Just shoed Dame these pics and he couldn't believe the difference! He says that now, it looks like an Indian Palace.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:35 am

Laughing oooh very opulent!

Sadly it's still a tip. can't wait till we have our own dining table and bed then it'll really be 'home'
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:09 pm

check out the new photos on post 1 - we have FINISHED IT Very Happy:D:D:D:D:cheers:
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by coco Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Shocked Shocked thats some handy work! looks like its shop bought! (not undermining your skills Embarassed) its reeeet good!
coco
coco
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1758

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:07 pm

coco wrote:Shocked Shocked thats some handy work! looks like its shop bought! (not undermining your skills Embarassed) its reeeet good!

that my friend is one hell of a compliment!

We are chuffed at how good the rope looks tbh. the bunnies have been on there and love it, Fatty has had a go and was unimpressed as there was no caviare at the top Laughing
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Karina Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:37 pm

blimey thats awesome Helen....I want one of them myself and I don't even have a cat. Its very fancy and really does look like its been professionally made.

Those are some skills you have there Very Happy Thumbs Up
Karina
Karina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1377

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:42 pm

OMG H that looks incredible............ Shocked Shocked
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:13 am

Very Happy

It was bloody hard work building that yesterday and my head is still spinning from glue fumes but we are both chuffed to bits.

And it matches the house. Big bonus Laughing
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down