Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!

3 posters

Go down

Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!  Empty Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:22 pm

I hate them Hissy

There were 3 in Molly and Junior's room last night when I put them to bed. THREE!!

Is it possible they're coming out of the bag of hay??? There's a mosquito net over their bedroom window so I can't think how else they're getting in!

Am I an idiot for letting them bother me?! Will they bother Molly and Junior??

Last edited by Thumper2001 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!  Empty Re: Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!

Post by woodwench Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Sorry ... but, yes, you are being ... well, shall we say, a bit daft!
They won't hurt you and as certain as eggs is eggs they won't bother your buns.
Do you freak out over butterflies?
Moths are just night flying butterflies. Look at them closely, they have fantastic markings, even the brown jobs.
They may come out of the hay if the hay is recently cut but it's unlikely they would survive in cuts from several months ago.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!  Empty Re: Questions about moths and rabbits U/D it's the hay!!

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:08 pm

I love moths and butterflies and hold them whenever I can, they are so lovely and soft.  Don't worry hun, they will not bother the bunnies.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:37 pm

woodwench wrote:Sorry ... but, yes, you are being ... well, shall we say, a bit daft!
They won't hurt you and as certain as eggs is eggs they won't bother your buns.
Do you freak out over butterflies?
Moths are just night flying butterflies. Look at them closely, they have fantastic markings, even the brown jobs.
They may come out of the hay if the hay is recently cut but it's unlikely they would survive in cuts from several months ago.
Butterflies don't come in my house Laughing but if they did in sure they'd freak me out too! I hate bugs!!!!! Hissy

Thumper was terrified of spiders and used to wake me in the night to remove them so I guess I'm in remove-all-bugs mode Laughing

It's a new bag of Ings hay from hay for pets, I'm not sure if they just bag it when you order!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:37 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:I love moths and butterflies and hold them whenever I can, they are so lovely and soft.  Don't worry hun, they will not bother the bunnies.

Hugs
Jo xx
Thanks Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Yep! The months are coming from the bag of hay. I've just seen one moving about in the bag Hissy

I'm assuming it's ok to still feed it to them?!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:37 pm

It's fine to feed. This must be a species of moth that feeds on the grass/hay.
There must be thousands of moths, bugs in every field of hay... just think: grasshoppers, thrips, greenfly, stag beetles, ants..... no end of species.
No one, human or bun will suffer.
Feed in peace!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Thank you, Dee for putting my mind at rest. I'm working tomorrow but maybe on Friday I'll take the bag out in the garden and give it a good shake, see if I can get them out!

They are certainly moths I've never seen before. I'll try and get a pic for you Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Good .. maybe I can identify them. Try and get them with something alongside for size comparisson.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down