Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!!

5 posters

Go down

Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!! Empty Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!!

Post by isostarmac Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:40 pm

my 4 month old mini lop, Kenickie, was neutered today. I felt it was it was the absolute right time as he was constantly humping his buddy Zuko who is 3 weeks younger. Outwith the humping the 2 are the best of pals and are very sweet together

they were kept together at the vets, however, the minute they got home Zuko, the slightly younger one, hasn't given Kenickie a minute's peace by turning the tables and humping him.! Zuko has never even attempted this before. Poor Kenickie hasn't been able to snooze since he came home

Kenickie keeps jumping away from Zuko and just a few mins ago they briefly turned on each other. I got in there quickly though and now one is in his hutch and the other outside.

they normally are free to roam and jump in and out of their hutch as they please

I wasn't expecting this outcome at all, and am now contemplating getting the date of Zuko's neuter brought forward

I feel I want to keep Kenickie in his hutch for a couple of days to let him recover but worry this will break their bond but worry about their safety now

Ive read the article on castration and behaviour afterwards on this forum, but does anyone have experiences to share?
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Back to top Go down

Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!! Empty Re: Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!!

Post by woodwench Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Kenickie will be under the weather for a few days.. he's probably on a pain killer? He's going to smell of the vets and the operation and this will be strange to Zuco and make him uneasy, and with Kenickie's subdued state Zuko is taking advantage.
You've done best to separate them so that they can still see each other and touch noses but Zuko can't pester Kenickie. If the do start fighting now there is a chance they will continue to do so.
I think neutering Zuco a bit earlier may be a good idea because now he is growing up and his hormones are getting stronger and Kenickie's are going to fade.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!! Empty Re: Kenickie was neutered today- but i need advice!!

Post by gemma997 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am

Rabbits do tend to hump, my female rabbit used to hump my male, I think it something to do with dominance.
Agree with woodwench it is a bit early for him to get neutered and keeping them so they can still smell, see and nose bump each other without keneckie getting annoyed by the wee man

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:52 am

thanks for the replies folks, reassuring me. Kenickie had a peaceful nights rest in his indoor hutch whilst Zuko free roamed as normal. They showed interest in each other through the bars so I let Zuko into the hutch too as they usually share it anyhow. Fed them which was peaceful so then let them both out for a run around. Immediately Zuko was chasing Kenickie around cooing and humping. I had to separate them as Kenickie was bleating in distress. So I guess my plan now is to keep them separated but accessable to each other through the bars of the hutch and take it in turns to let them out each to free roam until its Zuko's turn for the snip. They bonded really well originally by me letting them into each others space separately so i'll need to be prepared to do this again until peace reigns. I really hope once they are both fixed they settle down with each other again, my main aim is to ensure neither hurts the other incase it breaks that bond forever. Oh, take them back to being playful little kits again!!
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:22 pm

They should be OK once he has healed, I would keep them apart until he feels better, can't imagine it to be pleasant being bummed just when you lost your manhood pale
Took soundwave a wee while to get back to normal.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:43 pm

yeah, can't be pleasant at all! especially when you've been top rabbit until now!
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 pm

If they can see each other love, it is still company for them. Hopefuly they will come together again in time.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks everyone xx
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 pm

How are they getting along now?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 pm

Hi! OMG! Ive had a very stressful time of it! Iv been keeping them in seperate areas and switching them around so they smell each other constantly. And each have a turn in the hutch where they nose bump and sniff each other. Kenickie is going for his check up tomorrow and Zuko is booked in for his neuteron Thursday. So ill keep this seperation switching routine for a good few more weeks yet then ill start rebonding them gradually. Praying this will all go well. Good news they are both quite happy individually. Binkys and flops and zooming around again. Thank you SO much for asking and your support xxx
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Sounds like things could be okay. Keeping you busy but if it works then what a reward for the stress.
Yes, it takes six weeks or more for them to be hormone free so you will have a hectic spring.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Good luck for Zuko's neuter tomorrow, I hope that they are both bonded and snuggled together soon!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Thanks guys! Yep im keeping everything crossed that in just over a month iv got a settled household again. Xxx
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 pm

Good luck hun, everything will be fine.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:01 pm

Good luck Zucko... Here's to coming home fit, well and two stone lighter!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks jolovesbunnies and wwaaahhhaaa woodwench!! Xx
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Zuko's back from the vet and glad to report he seems fine. So a quiet couple of days for him in the hutch in the hall and total freedom again for Kenickie till Zuko recovers.
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:02 pm

You are welcome love and I am so glad everything went well today He will just be quiet for a while but will soon come around.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 pm

I have to smile at your two boys.... Grease is the word...!!!!
I'm glad he's okay and "here's to" a bunny bromance in the near future. Thumbs Up
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:08 pm

My little T Birds woodwench!
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 pm

Maybe ... after these vet visits ... more like the Pink Ladies?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by isostarmac Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:08 am

Noooooooo!! Thats so cruel! My poor wee guys haha
isostarmac
isostarmac
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:42 am

Yes, mean of me, sorry. But I bet there are certain bits that are pink at the moment.
Seriously, I hope both are doing well.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:40 pm

ROFL ROFL ROFL

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Yes, me too love.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down