Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longterm Penecillin?

3 posters

Go down

Longterm Penecillin? Empty Longterm Penecillin?

Post by Becki Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Rhia has been on penecillin for ages now, Does anyone know how long its okay to be on it or is it alright to be for a long time? Hmmm Should I be giving probiotic or anything alongside it? Shes on other drugs too, but I've got it in my head that penecillin shouldnt be for longterm use, is that right? X
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Longterm Penecillin? Empty Re: Longterm Penecillin?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:21 pm

I am assuming she is not on it daily?

I have had Buns on it for months. Usually starting off as alternate days, then every three days, then every 5 days, then once a week.
The Bun who's been on it the longest is Sarah and she started on it back in March of this year !!

Giving Rhia a Probiotic would be a good idea.
Maybe the Vet will suggest gradually taking Rhia off the Penicillin at her next review.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Shes on it every other day, and has been for months. They are hoping to reduce meds after her next appointment, but Im guessing it'll have to be the dosages lowered really gradually rather than skipping to less frequent injections, as you can really tell when shes ready for jabbing; and the few times I havent been able to get new needles quick enough and shes had to go a day or two longer, shes not coped at all. Shall I get some probiotics for her then? Will I be able to get them from the vets? X
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:51 am

You can buy a good probiotic online which in the longterm will be cheaper than buying from the Vets

I'd suggest Biolapis or Fibreplex from the Protexin Range

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

What dose of diuretic is she on now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:31 am

I would certainly have her on a pro-b. Mine have it alongside any abx and for two weeks after as well.

If you use Avipro, ProC or Biolapis then give it everyday but Fiberplex is given 3 times a day for 3 days and you could use one tube a week. It is much more expensive though.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm

It will have to be something she can have in her water or something, She is very head-shy & impossible to get anything near her mouth (let alone inside it!). I'll ask the guy about those, thanks Smile Jane her dieuretics dose has gone down to 0.4ml twice daily X
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Evo has Bio-Lapis sometimes. He loves it in his water, and will drink a whole bowl twice as fast as he would normal water.

My vet charges £6+ for 5 day's worth, but you can get it cheaper from http://www.furrypharm.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1069&catid=
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:44 pm

Becki wrote:It will have to be something she can have in her water or something, She is very head-shy & impossible to get anything near her mouth (let alone inside it!). I'll ask the guy about those, thanks Smile Jane her dieuretics dose has gone down to 0.4ml twice daily X

I would avoid Fiberplex then, good as it is, it wont dissolve well into water. I use Avipro because it's the cheapest and sold in bulk but Biolapis does seem to go down well.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down