Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report

+12
racheld69
Becca6
FudgesMummy
Becki
Catsknickers
thumpersmum
Jay
Bunbuns
March Hare
NickieM
buddabun
Happy Hoppers
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report Empty Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:47 am

My poor little lad has to have his incisors removed next Friday Sad

We've given them every chance to straighten themselves out but now his molar spurs have pushed them further out of alignment, and that coupled with the low grade enamel on his lowers means they are not wearing well at all. As the lowers are so thickened they are wearing so slowly that the uppers have almost vanished and Anita is worried this means that because they cannot grow downwards they will start to grow upwards.....into his skull via root erruptions Crying or Very sad.

So they are all coming out next week alongside a molar tidy but the chances are that the lowers will probably snap and this increases the chance of regrowth to about 25%, meaning they may have to be done again in future.

Bless him, he is such a typical 'Trojan' bunny, you would never know he had dental issues if you hadn't checked....his appetitie is just insatiable.

Last edited by Sooz on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report Empty Re: Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report

Post by buddabun Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:10 am

Bless him.

I really hope all goes well. One of Jack's peg teeth snapped during the op but never regrew so let's hope everything goes smoothly and perfectly for Mackenzie

Thinking of you
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report Empty Re: Rubbish Vets Trip with Mackenzie. U/D: Surgery Report

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks hon, peg teeth are usually the tricky ones and most likely to regrow because the root cavity is so small and it's hard to destroy the pulp properly.

I'm hoping that the roots are not terribly twisted as this will reduce the chances of a smooth operation.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Hope all goes well.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:02 am

Aww, poor Mackenzie. Sad Two of my buns have had to have their incisors removed. Out of all their combined teeth, only one peg tooth has regrown, so that isn't too bad. I will be sending TONS of vibes for your gorgeous boy for his op. xxxxx
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunbuns Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Hope Mackenzie's op goes well xxx
Bunbuns
Bunbuns
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Aww poor Macenzie, I'm sure he'll be happier after this Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks guys, I just hope he dosn't feel too poorly afterwards. He is my least handleable rabbit and syringe feeding will not be fun Rolling Eyes
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 pm

It isn't fun with an uncooperative bun!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am

He should be going into surgery about now.....fingers crossed for my little guy. He's gone on his own because Lexie really isn't well enough to be sitting in a vet surgery for the day for his sake, and they usually spend a few hours each day apart anyway.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:59 am

Hope all goes well.

Mega vibes that all goes smoothly

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:02 am

Vibes for Mackenzie, hope it all goes well Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:19 am

Lots of vibes for MAck today hun xxxxxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Tons of vibes for the brave boy xxxxxx
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Fingers and toes crossed this end for Mackenzie.
x
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 pm

He can come home at 4:30. He was one of the later op's so still very drowsy and I won't know how successful it was until I speak to Anita later.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 pm

lots recovery and anti-woozie vibes for Mackenzie!

big nose rubs too x x
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:59 pm

Any news Sooz? XX
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Hope he's OK. Sending vibes.
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:55 am

how is he?
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:03 am

I went to pick Mack up at 4:30 and due to building work at the surgery had to wait a long time to see Anita ho was consulting when I got there....it was a bit touch and go whether they would release him as he was so very woozy and the general consensus was if he had been anyone elses rabbit they would have kept him in pale , I have never yet had to have a bun admitted so was very suprised.

Anyway Anita said it was the worst incisor removal she has ever had to do and he was under GA for ages....so much so he was on fluid & heat therapy for a few hours post-op to aid recovery. Three of his four incisors had broken below the gumline before surgery had even started so it was a fiddly and tedious job to remove them, also one of the uppers had started to twist towards his skull so we had decided to operate in time to prevent further problems.

The lowers caused the biggest issue, they crumbled everytime they were touched and kept splintering away. Apparently the rotton enamel ran all the way into the root and Anita has never heard of anything like it in rabbits before (apparently distemper causes a similar condition in dogs though). His peg teeth were taken out but were so awful they will probably grow back again.

So he is on Vetergesic for the next two days (then Metacam for the next three) and abx for a fortnight, I also have Hartmans & Metaclopromide just incase but despite being totally out of it when I got him home with a face twice it's normal size the little chap demolished a bowl of mushed pellets within the hour.

I don't think the resiliance of rabbits will ever cease to amaze me.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:33 am

Bless him :luv: :luv: Hope he carries on eating well. Hugs to you and Mack xx
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 am

More recovery ((((((vibes)))))) for Mack.
Glad to hear he is eating so well.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah86 Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:48 am

Aww, bless him, shame he can't influence Poppy, her molars were described as having slight sharp edges and didn't require much burring and that was it she wouldn't eat, I've spent a fortune on baby food, organic carrots with the tops and fresh herbs for her in the past fortnight!

Nose rubs to him, I hope he continues to eat well and his teeth don't cause any further problems.

Sarah86
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 am

Sarah86 wrote:Aww, bless him, shame he can't influence Poppy, her molars were described as having slight sharp edges and didn't require much burring and that was it she wouldn't eat, I've spent a fortune on baby food, organic carrots with the tops and fresh herbs for her in the past fortnight!

Nose rubs to him, I hope he continues to eat well and his teeth don't cause any further problems.

Mack is a so-called 'Trojan' bunny, he is quite resiliant to pain....however at the moment I think the opiates have a lot to do with it. Pippa was very sensitive like Poppy, I'll never forget having to spend £120 to have one flipping spur filled down HBWS Laughing
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next