Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeling Bunny Broody

+3
FudgesMummy
Kirsty&Lola
Happy Hoppers
7 posters

Go down

Feeling Bunny Broody Empty Feeling Bunny Broody

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Anyone else feeling bunny broody at the moment?
I have vowed to let my numbers drop but there are so many gorgeous bunnies looking for homes at the moment and I have a real craving for a frenchie Embarassed thankfully the one I had my eye on has been reserved but it is so hard to fight this feeling....every other time thus far I have given in and adopted a new rabbit.

I must not look, I must not look, I must not look.... HBWS HBWS HBWS
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Feeling Bunny Broody Empty Re: Feeling Bunny Broody

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:53 pm

do it!!! Laughing i'm no help at all am i??? its so hard to resist all the gorgeous bunnies.angies got a gorgeous frenchie cross in at the mo...he's scrummy!
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:29 pm

I know....I saw him this morning. I was smitten with Pickle at Fat Fluffs Embarassed too.

Maybe once the wedding is over, it's not like there will ever be a shortage of poor bunnies needing homes. Sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirsty&Lola Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:33 pm

thats very true! Crying or Very sad i'm hoping that after the wedding we might get an outdoor bonded pair with a shed and run. or we might wait until we move. I would love to give all bunnies a home Sad
Kirsty&Lola
Kirsty&Lola
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1016

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm

I am very bunny broodie at the moment but know that my little fella is so bonded to me and we have a special relationship that bringing in another bun to potentially upset the balance really isn't fair so isn't an option. I discussed the possibility of a friend for fudge but he says fudge is very much one of the rare buns who gets so much human contact as a single palace bun that it wouldnt be fair to make him share....so looks like its destined to be me and him alone until fate decides otherwise....
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm not sure Broody is an adjective that should be applied to a man (!) but yeah, completely...afetr having a chat with Jill-Stepanie Beecham-Honeybunny at the meet about exploring different avenues with bonding Bertie, I'm looking...and brooding Laughing
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by DixieLuBun Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:50 pm

I get very Bunny Broody every time I see one in a pet shop but have to keep telling myself I can't afford another. Its ok fostering the bunsters I have even the little baby bunsters who WILL be up for adoption soon Wink . If I had the money nothing would stop me having more bunnies to love and cuddle up to.
DixieLuBun
DixieLuBun
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 638

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 pm

FudgesMummy wrote:I am very bunny broodie at the moment but know that my little fella is so bonded to me and we have a special relationship that bringing in another bun to potentially upset the balance really isn't fair so isn't an option. I discussed the possibility of a friend for fudge but he says fudge is very much one of the rare buns who gets so much human contact as a single palace bun that it wouldnt be fair to make him share....so looks like its destined to be me and him alone until fate decides otherwise....

i wouldnt let that stop u getting another bun, no matter how bonded he is to you i doubt he would say no to a friend Very Happy:D

i dont think its like it wouldnt be 'fair' im sure he would like it! havign someone to snuggle too! Very Happy
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:22 pm

Me too! Some friends of mine think their one of their Buns is preggers and it has got me wondering if I should get my Johns a companion, albeit there will be 6 month age gap. Mind you, got to persuade DH first!

Is getting another one recommended? Should I get a male or female? How do I introduce it to my little lord of the manor Smile

My only gripe about my friends is that her DH picks them up by the ears - I thought this was WRONG?!!!
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:23 pm

FudgesMummy wrote:I am very bunny broodie at the moment but know that my little fella is so bonded to me and we have a special relationship that bringing in another bun to potentially upset the balance really isn't fair so isn't an option. I discussed the possibility of a friend for fudge but he says fudge is very much one of the rare buns who gets so much human contact as a single palace bun that it wouldnt be fair to make him share....so looks like its destined to be me and him alone until fate decides otherwise....

Fudge looks soo cute in that photo - his blanket looks like its covered in smarties Smile
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:39 am

Picking rabbits up by the ears is very wrong, there are much safer and more comfortable ways to hold a rabbit....maybe you could advise your friend of this.

Two rabbits are definately the preferred way of keeping them, there are very few that will not bond with any other rabbits, but it does need to be done carefully.

The best combination is neutered male to neutered female and age is not usually an issue....6 months is certainly a negligable amount and of course if you adopted from a rescue you could find a rabbit of a similar age who would already be neutered and vaccinated. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:47 am

That is what I thought. They had bunnies before so I would assume they would know what to do. I tactfully mentioned to my friend that I'd seen her DH do it - she said she doesn't like him picking them up like that but that her DH assured her that as long as their botty is supported, it is ok. Get a feeling she agrees with me but obviously doesn't say anything to him. I was pleased to see her kids don't pick them up like that though.

Thanks for advise re getting another - I am thinking about getting a rescue rabbit - so many poor bunnies that need a good home. Be nice to have one of same age too, as you say, if it has already been neutered and vaccinated. Johns has been vaccinated but not neutered. I don't know whether to get Johns done or not? A lot of people say its a major op and doesn't need to be done really.
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:52 am

Neutering is an easy and simple op in a male and a good rabbit vet will see it as a routine procedure, anasthetic techniques have come a long way and are very safe....to give you an idea I used to run a rescue and must have taken at least 60 rabbits to be neutered and lost 2 under a GA, one had a heart defect and the other a belly full of dead babies Crying or Very sad...both were female which is much more invasive.

Neutering a male means their behaviour improves and they make cleaner & tidier pets as they don't spray and are much less territorial. The constant urge to mate can be very frustrating to them and stress them out quite a lot, most rescues will also not let a female live with an intact male even if the female is speyed because he will drive her to distraction trying to mate which can cause fights.

You can read about neutering HERE.

The key is finding a good vet first.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:57 am

Thanks for that info - really helpful, much appreciated. I have been thinking about getting Johns done, especially as when he does venture indoors, he now ignores his litter tray and goes on the mat in the hallway and has now left 3 dark stains which DH not happy with!!!

Johns is 6 months now so that means he can be neutered. Our vet is great and did recommend it to us, although he didn't say it was necessary. Think gonna book him in asap.

Are two males good to have together? Don't know why but I prefer the idea of 2 male bunnies.
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:01 am

In my (and most rabbit keepers experience) two unrelated males, even when neutered, are the WORST combination. They are quite likely to fall out at some stage even if they have previously been fine....I've been on the receiving end of such an incident and it was not pleasent.

I would never advise it as a primary choice and certainly not to a novice bonder.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:02 am

Oh really? Okay thats useful to know - looks like I am looking for a lady friend for him then Smile actually it will be nice, think he needs a lady to look after him Smile

I'll be posting on here about getting them to bond, if and when I get another!! Mind you DD says she doesn't want Buns to have a companion, she says she is his big sister x
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down