Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L

+6
KatieB
Velvet.Tears
Amelia66
Tuckerbunnies
icedancer
troop
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Empty Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L

Post by troop Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

I just had a very neglected bunny brought in thin as a rake, matted so badly we couldnt see his eyes Mad . I actually thought myxi when i saw him Evil or Very Mad
Two hours it took to trim the worst of it off and he is still going to the vets to be shaved and silent castration Shocked Anyway he has the sweetest personality i very bright and alert now he can physically see and move its head. (its neck was totally matted it couldnt even move its head about pale ) . My friend took some photos after half hour of trimming so im waiting for them so i can show you how bad he is but i will update also after his trim, fingers crossed he will be ok. He is currently in a hutch with some shredded paper and lots of food and toys which he thinks are great fun to throw around. My staffy x Amber is also making friends with him we have named the little guy Tangle. Very Happy
I have never had an angora so dont know much about them other than needing special care for long fur,will he need clipping regularly or will brushing be ok?? Anybody??? Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Lily014Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Lily004Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Lily001Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Lily012

Last edited by troop on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Photos)

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-12-06

Back to top Go down

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Empty Re: Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L

Post by icedancer Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Tuckerbunnies has an Angora, in photoshoots there are piccies of her being trimmed.

He sounds lovely, how can anyone let a bunny get like that? I was offered an Angora when I went to the rescue to get bunny2 (Dougal) and I knew I just would struggle with the upkeep of one, even though they are adorable.

I hope he gets on ok at the vet.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Empty Re: Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Oh Bless not another matted neglected Angora, we took one in last year her back legs were matted to her body and she couldn't walk, God knows how long she had been like that she was a right mess, we have to trim her every two week's as her coat grows so quick and it's so thick. Our Angora girl is called Jess and we have to be so careful trimming her as her skin underneath is so sensitive.

Here's our girl Jess.

https://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/t14082-jess-s-coat-is-so-thick?highlight=jess

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:52 pm

If your bun likes grooming then it is possible to manage with a daily rountine - but in hot weather a shave would probably be kindest. There was a fab pic of a well groomed angora on DR today - Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L 20120205_104256

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:33 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:If your bun likes grooming then it is possible to manage with a daily rountine - but in hot weather a shave would probably be kindest. There was a fab pic of a well groomed angora on DR today - Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L 20120205_104256

Love aww its like fluffy pufferfish!
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Amelia66 wrote:
cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:If your bun likes grooming then it is possible to manage with a daily rountine - but in hot weather a shave would probably be kindest. There was a fab pic of a well groomed angora on DR today - Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L 20120205_104256

Love aww its like fluffy pufferfish!

I just giggled at what you said Amelia Laughing
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 pm

We shave Jess in the Summer to make it cooler for her but you have to be so careful as their coats are so thick and their skin is so sensitive, we couldn't get Jess to look like the one in the photo it takes Mike nearly all afternoon to brush her and try and gently comb out any matt's.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 am

Haaa about the pufferfish Very Happy i will post some pics now hopefully with Lily and Pete to. Tangle obviously feels better today now he is able to move properly i couldnt catch him at brekky time Hissy Wink he is booked in on friday morning so fingers crossed.

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 am

Awww they are lovely Love

Little Tangle Love
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:53 am

Awww very cute buns!

Poor Tangle...he looks so lovely!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Are you sure it's an Angora? look's very much like a Lionhead to me Bless him Love

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:01 am

Well its possible he is a cross but he looks very different to how he did before the trim and the breeder who gave him said he is angora ( she breeds angora x lionheads so if she is lying about him being dumped then he is one or a mixture of these two buns) If he is lionhead then hopefully it makes his coat easier to deal with but im just glad he is safe and sound Love

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:03 am

He does look pretty tufty all over. I would get brushing right away though as he still has some long bits. He looks like a newly shorn sheep. Love

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:08 am

I am a bit worried as about brushing to much as his skin is so sore and fragile. He is looking tons better than he did so i am just doing little bit at a time. He is becoming firm friends with my staffy x Amber its so sweet

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

troop wrote:Well its possible he is a cross but he looks very different to how he did before the trim and the breeder who gave him said he is angora ( she breeds angora x lionheads so if she is lying about him being dumped then he is one or a mixture of these two buns) If he is lionhead then hopefully it makes his coat easier to deal with but im just glad he is safe and sound Love

He could well be a lionhead cross as he certainly look's as if he has the Angora fur coat, I've just showed my Husband Mike and he said certainly got some Angora in him, Angora ears are usually a give away as they have those long tufty bit's on. Whatever he's beautiful and Well done for rescuing him and giving him a safe home Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 am

troop wrote:I am a bit worried as about brushing to much as his skin is so sore and fragile. He is looking tons better than he did so i am just doing little bit at a time. He is becoming firm friends with my staffy x Amber its so sweet

Yes this is a problem with our Angora girl her skin is so sensitive, just gently brush a little each day and tease what you can apart. Jess sometimes look's a right mess but if only people knew how difficult it is to brush Angora's it's not like an normal bunny coat it's thicker underneath and this is where it matts. I will put a photo on soon of the matt we got off Jess just after we got her the vet's had shaved her at the rescue but couldn't get this huge matt off because of her sensitive skin. Mike teased a bit away each night and it took about 5 weeks before we could get the whole matt off.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Thank you Tuckersbunnies Tangle did have tufts on ears but i had to cute them off as the matting on his head was all mushed up with his ears so i guess he isnt giving off a full picture of how he looks. Smile can i ask the best brushes and combes to use please?? I have dog grooming brushes like slicker brush and a comb with long and short prongs alo i use a tooth brush

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm

troop wrote:Thank you Tuckersbunnies Tangle did have tufts on ears but i had to cute them off as the matting on his head was all mushed up with his ears so i guess he isnt giving off a full picture of how he looks. Smile can i ask the best brushes and combes to use please?? I have dog grooming brushes like slicker brush and a comb with long and short prongs alo i use a tooth brush

We use a slicker brush and the comb with long/short prongs , look at the state of her here after so many hours of trimming...poor girl but Mike had to stop as she was getting so stressed and her skin was getting sore Embarassed
Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L 25-10-1110

This is her before a trim.
Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L 2-7-1102111

This was the dreaded matt that took 5 week's to get off, it was on her chest and it's so thick I've kept it to show people and they are always shocked to see how thick the matts are.
Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Photos022

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Photos023

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Photos024

Angora bunny another rescue bunny.... Pics of Tangle + P&L Photos025

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Puffer fish is a good description! ROFL
Angoras are lovely bunnies when well cared for but.....

The following is just my opinion so please understand I feel you have
a right to yours as well Smile This has bothered me for some time.

I wonder sometimes if all the breeding to get the exotic breeds that need such intensive care is right. A neglected bunny is always tragic, but to be in such a state that the poor creature cannot turn it's head or even stand just because of a trait that was bred into it! Even a well groomed one would be limited as to running and playing in clean areas. Forget a romp in the garden or a roll in the leaves.

Other animals are often bred to extremes as well, but these beautiful fluffy bunnies are much more delicate and dear. Love But since good quality Angora fiber can cost around $ 10 - 16 per ounce (35 to 50 cents/gram) the race for even fluffier Angoras is on. Crying or Very sad

You might find a market for that mat Mike. Wink
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 pm

I would agree with extreme breeding its unfair on the animals and a growing issue with all manner of critters. Sad very sad.

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 pm

gentl wrote:Puffer fish is a good description! ROFL
Angoras are lovely bunnies when well cared for but.....

The following is just my opinion so please understand I feel you have
a right to yours as well Smile This has bothered me for some time.

I wonder sometimes if all the breeding to get the exotic breeds that need such intensive care is right. A neglected bunny is always tragic, but to be in such a state that the poor creature cannot turn it's head or even stand just because of a trait that was bred into it! Even a well groomed one would be limited as to running and playing in clean areas. Forget a romp in the garden or a roll in the leaves.

Other animals are often bred to extremes as well, but these beautiful fluffy bunnies are much more delicate and dear. Love But since good quality Angora fiber can cost around $ 10 - 16 per ounce (35 to 50 cents/gram) the race for even fluffier Angoras is on. Crying or Very sad

You might find a market for that mat Mike. Wink

I think nowadays Angoras are bred for showing, though a couple of years ago pet shops were selling Angoras , Jess came from a breeder who when the RSPCA got there 15 of them were crammed tight in a small hutch and some of the bunnies including Jess had no water or food Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:50 pm

well the girl that had Tangles breeds these crosses for kids pets the friend that picked him up said the cages were all the tiny hutches that you get from pet shop no room at all. I have a book which says angora bunnies make great kids pets as they are so placid and quiet but nothing about how difficult the coat is to care for. My first rabbit (Smokey Bacon) was like Lily bunny and complete sweety my brother had a dutch bunny cant remember her name scratch she was evil Laughing i still loved them though. I remember coming downstairs to feed Smoke before i went to school and just knowing he woulde be gone by the time i got home Sad i told my best friend he will be gone when i get home and he was curled up in the back of the hutch when i returned we were both in tears when we buried him i had him for years he was my 10th birthday present and was the start of my bunny Love

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:08 pm

troop wrote:well the girl that had Tangles breeds these crosses for kids pets the friend that picked him up said the cages were all the tiny hutches that you get from pet shop no room at all. I have a book which says angora bunnies make great kids pets as they are so placid and quiet but nothing about how difficult the coat is to care for. My first rabbit (Smokey Bacon) was like Lily bunny and complete sweety my brother had a dutch bunny cant remember her name scratch she was evil Laughing i still loved them though. I remember coming downstairs to feed Smoke before i went to school and just knowing he woulde be gone by the time i got home Sad i told my best friend he will be gone when i get home and he was curled up in the back of the hutch when i returned we were both in tears when we buried him i had him for years he was my 10th birthday present and was the start of my bunny Love

Oh no not kids pets, can you image the poor bunnies coats Sad I was hoping that breeders didn't sell them as pet's anymore due to their coats No

I'm so sorry about Smoke Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by troop Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Victoria that was dutch buns name lol
Thank you Smoke was very special Vicky was such a funny grump bun she loved Smokey Bacon though

troop
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:14 pm

troop wrote:
Victoria that was dutch buns name lol
Thank you Smoke was very special Vicky was such a funny grump bun she loved Smokey Bacon though

We had a Dutch bun called Poppet she was a lovely bunny but she did once grab my leg and wouldn't let go I still have the scar where her teeth went into my leg, Mike stood there laughing his head off as I was going round in circles with a bunny attached to my leg Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next