Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nia needed a dental

+2
Happy Hoppers
Sixer
6 posters

Go down

Nia needed a dental Empty Nia needed a dental

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:18 am

Our little Noo stopped eating overnight on Monday, given she is a little pigster normally, I had her straight down to the vets.

Her molars, particularly on the right side were in a bad way so she was kept in and had them burred.

I had her back home by 2.30 and as soon as I waved a basil leaf under her nose, she ate it. She is such a star and was then eating hay straight away.

Poor duck tho, I hate to think of her maybe being in discomfort for some time. She must have been so relieved to eat without pain. Regular checks are now on the cards. She is a really good hay eater - especially Timmy and is on Timothy hay pellets so I am not sure what else we can do Hmmm

Gabriel was so pleased to have her back, he groomed and groomed her.

Good news is that the pair have moved into the conservatory, it is so good to spend more time with them Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Nia needed a dental Empty Re: Nia needed a dental

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Bless, her I'm glad to hear it was all sorted quickly though.

People are probably sick of hearing me say this but there is definately two types if dental bunny, the 'Trojan' bunny who will eat and eat and eat even with a mouth full of spurs, lacerations, ulcers, the works and then there are 'sensitive' bunnies who will stop as soon as they get one little sharp edge. I will never forget my horror at having to pay £120 to have ONE spur removed from Pippa's back tooth.

Given Nia's diet it sounds like it must be inherant rather than dietary so other than regular dental checks there wont be much you can do except be thankfully she isn't one of those very sensitive bunnies.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:37 pm

£120 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Glad to hear that Nia has got over her dental, Sixer. Very Happy
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Oh poor Nia... glad to hear she is ok now, even if the wallet had to take a bit of a dent Sad! Yay for Nia cheers
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:39 pm

£120 Shocked

I was expecting a three figure bill so got off lightly with £93.97 Laughing Laughing Laughing Hmmm

Nia's myxi jab is due in January so we will obviously get her teeth checked then. The question is at what point will the teeth need more treatment. When there are signs of spurs or if and when she stops eating again? I am sure she must have been uncomfy before this week. The idea of frequent anaesthesia though does not thrill me. (I am resigned to the cost and didn't quite tell OH the whole cost Embarassed ) The vet's I used this week do not carry out conscious dentals and to be honest with Nia being so tiny I wouldn't want to try anyway.

Any thoughts?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:55 pm

jomart wrote:£120 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Glad to hear that Nia has got over her dental, Sixer. Very Happy

Yup. I nearly had to be scraped off the floor Embarassed.

Personally I wait until mine actually show signs of discomfort, none of my current 3 dental rabbits are particularly sensitive souls and I am lucky enough to have an otoscope to check their teeth with myself. Other than that they get them checked when they go to the vets for other things.

I don't think Fiver hasn't had to have a dental since last year so it's only been Lexie & Mack so far.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Foxglove has to have hers done every 6 weeks so she is just booked in for 6 weeks after last one. Basically after the first one she went back every few weeks for checks until they looked like they needed doing which was 7 weeks later and then coz they don't want the roots growing (ie the bottom/root of the tooth grows if there is no room in the mouth) we settled on 6 weeks which is open to review.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by March Hare Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Awww, poor Nia. Sad But it is GREAT news that she came through it so well and hasn't been put off her food! Very Happy Give her big (gentle!) noserubs from me! :luv:
March Hare
March Hare
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down