Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dental Help Please

4 posters

Go down

Dental Help Please Empty Dental Help Please

Post by NSD Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 am

I took Josephine and Bruce to the vet this morning. At their last check up and vaccinations, the vet mentioned that josephine's teeth looked like they were getting pointy/sharp at the back, and because of her small head and breed she recommended six-monthly dental check ups in case josephine develops teeth problems.

I wasn't given my usual vet, instead a girl I'd never seen before. She said that Josephine needed a dental, quite soon. She said that Josephine's front teeth overlap, and they would need to be filed down, and that her back teeth are pointy.

Then she offered to look at Bruce. I said - he's just here to learn that being at the vet is not scary - and my usual (and awesome) vet hadn't identified any issues in him. Then she looked and him and said his front teeth overlapped even more - and that his bottom teeth nearly touched the gums of his upper jaw - and he too would need a dental.

I asked her what she meant by dental, trying to test her knowledge, she said they would grind the bunnies' teeth down, possibly under sedation.

So I am left with no choice but to book them both in for a dental. Does this sound normal? Bruce is quite a large bunny with a big head - and perhaps more significantly, his poos are ALWAYS golden brown. The amount of hay he eats is huge. I was perhaps expecting it with Josephine, but Bruce too? They both have unlimited access to hay and cardboard boxes to destroy; chew sticks are more rare but still regular. Also neither of them have changed their eating habits or look like they are struggling to eat.

Side Note: On the vet, I distrust her, which contributes to my uncertainty. I asked for my normal vet (who is amazing, I love her, she loves my rabbits, and very knowledgeable) on the phone, and was told that my appointment is with her. Then when I show up this morning I don't get my normal vet - just this girl. And she's 10 minutes late. The first thing she asked me was whether the rabbits get long - I said yes, they are bonded. She fell silent. What rabbit vet doesn't know what bonded means? She didn't hold the rabbits in a particularly friendly way - there was just something about the way she held them that made them react badly at being touched, even though they're usually OK at the vets. Also, when I asked her whether she deals with rabbits often, she admitted she'd only been out of uni for two years and is starting to get exposure to rabbits through the practice. She suggested that I feel Bruce and Josephine "hard veggies" - this doesn't sound normal? Shouldn't she be asking me about hay and chew sticks?

Needless to say, I am confused. I haven't researched dental conditions much online; does anyone have a dental bunny and have any recommendations? Does it sound like Bruce needs a dental too?
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Dental Help Please Empty Re: Dental Help Please

Post by racheld69 Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:17 am

I have a dental bun and had a really bad dental bun before so I would say you defo can't risk them needing a dental but not having it done. The only thing I can think of is getting a 2nd opinion - the only thing with that is you will have to pay another consultation fee I guess (unless anyone else is due a vaccination or anything?) - with your preferred vet or is there a 3rd vet you think is good even? The last time I took Jiggy for a dental my vet was off sick so I had to leave him to have it with a different vet - I am now glad I did as although my vet is ace and she knows loads the one Jigy saw removed some teeth he thought were poss problematic which my vet hadn't before and basically it was a new, slightly different approach which can only be beneficial - they consult each other alot anyway, sharing views and opinions so it was good he saw Jiggy too and tried some things she hadn't yet. However, it he had been a non rabbit savvy vet then it would have been a whole different story! I think if i were you I would rather pay the £20 something quid and get a 2nd opinion before spending £70 on a dental and putting the bunnies through stress unecessarily. I would just be careful that your normal vet defo knows what over grown teeth are like (my friend's vet didn't and he was a senior partner!!) in rabbits and that the new vet isn't being over zealous.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am

It's awful when you have that slight uncertainty about the vet Nici, I've had that before and it sadly turned out to be warranted. I think Rachel's suggestions are the best way forward, and if it is a problem, it will need sorting.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 am

Once I get paid, I'll make an appointment and I think i'll ask for my usual vet. At least if my good vet gets told that the other vet thought Bruce had a problem, she would consider it more seriously - maybe she did not think they were bad when she saw him last (?)

There's a rabbit expert who is raved about over here, but she is 3 hours' drive away (one-way) so I will go to her if this becomes a big issue.

It's just annoying because dentals + sedation is neither fun for my wallet, my nerves, or my rabbits' moods. I really hope i'm right about her and Bruce doesn't have to go through the procedure, he gets so scared so easily Sad I hate it that vets (and doctors) can have different opinions. I'd much prefer to live in a world where every vet has the same knowledge and skills and every vet gives the best care and they always know the answers. But i guess that's never going to happen, especially with rabbits Sad
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 am

Daisy is a dental bunster - (not to mention other mouth related problems).

I think Rachels advice is very good - the only thing I would add is that if thats the route you are going to take you should perhaps do it asap just in case there are problems there.

We very nearly lost our boy because of his teefs, and I would want anyone to go though what we did.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down