Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos

+6
Laura
racheld69
Happy Hoppers
Lynda
Sixer
Jay
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos Empty Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos

Post by Jay Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 am

About 3 weeks ago we were moving furniture & plants around, when we finished the bedroom, and I put my Madagascan Dragon plant in Bertie's room, for a day, but he couldn't get to the leaves.
About the same time, he has his second stasis incident, followed by a rather nasty runny pooh, and after that he seemed OK. But every few days, he goes quiet, he isn't off his food, but isn't enthusiastic about it either, and nibbles bits at a time. It's usually in the morning, and by the afternoon he's OK. There's only been one slightly runny pooh since, but he's not gone into stasis as such, so we've been keeping an eye on him, just feeding him hay and a few SS each meal, but when I bring just a few veggies back into his meal, it seems to kick it off again.

This morning as I was watering and pruning my plants, I noticed that the bottom half of 4 leaves from my Dragon plant were missing, and had been chewed off. He must have climbed onto something and reached over, I'm not sure how he did it, but it must have happened 3 weeks ago, as that's when we moved everything.

Am I right to think this is connected to what's been happeneing? Does anyone know about toxicity, and what to do? I've got him booked into the vet for tomorrow, but I do like to know some information first before I go there, so I can ask the right questions.
Naturally i feel bloomin terrible about this, it was a stupid place to put a toxic plant, but the leaves are 5 foot off the ground, so I didn't see any danger, but obviously my athletic bun is far more agile than I give him credit for.
Thanks Wave

Last edited by Jay on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : UD)
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos Empty Re: Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos

Post by Sixer Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 am

Naughty Bertie, don't blame yourself, bunsters can be incredibly ingenious when they spot something they want. Gabriel managed to reach our (out of reach) collection of cacti and well and truly stunted them.

I wish I could offer some help and wish I could remember where I have seen a list of side effects to toxic plants. I will keep looking.

Sending loads of vibes for Bertie's tummy.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos Empty Re: Bertie's eaten a poisonous plant - U/D Golden poos

Post by Lynda Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 pm

The majority of houseplants seem to be toxic to some degree, and yes there could be a link to Bertie's troubles. However, I would think that, depending on toxicity, it would take more than a few nibbles to be life threatening. Toxins build up in the liver (correct me if I'm wrong Embarassed , I'm no good with scientific stuff Embarassed ), and over time, if no more is nibbled, should be able to regenerate itself .... I think Hmmm

Here's a linky http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic.htm
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:18 pm

I suspect it is the likely cause of Bertie's issues but rather than the effects being long-term he is simply reacting to every time he manages to eat some and the severity is varying in accordance with the amount consumed.

The only advice I can really offer other than a vets check is to make sure he takes on plenty of fiber & fluids to flush his system (including liver which usually filters toxins from the body) and keep his GI tract running and to invest in either some probiotic such as Avi-Pro or Biolapis or to get him a tube of Fiberplex for a few days.

Hope he is better soon. Smile

Last edited by Sooz on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:30 pm

oh dear - well is good you have discovered it! naughty Bertie!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks for your help guys, I'll get the probiotic tomorrow, I hadn't thought of that Thumbs Up and he sees the vet at 5, so Ill let you know how that goes.
It's awful when they're not well, poor mite. We've been very lucky with Berts, his health has always been brilliant, so I'm sure he'll be fine soon Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

As the plant has upset his stomach it's likely to have caused some damage to the gut flora, the probiotic can help restore this.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Oh, Bertie, you little naughty! You mustn't eat the plant because it gives you tummyache and makes us all do a worry xx
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2356
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:08 pm

Silly Bertie, eating plants he isn't supposed to! Glad you've figured out what happened and hope his tummy is ok! Very Happy
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Evo ate exactly the same plant when he was little (snuck into a room that was out of bounds), and his tummy was never the same after. Sad He was hospitalised at the time with stasis, and after that he could never tolerate any veg ever again. Sad Not saying it's the same in Bertie's case (and I really really hope he will be fine), just letting you know my experience.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 am

rallybunny wrote:Evo ate exactly the same plant when he was little (snuck into a room that was out of bounds), and his tummy was never the same after. Sad He was hospitalised at the time with stasis, and after that he could never tolerate any veg ever again. Sad Not saying it's the same in Bertie's case (and I really really hope he will be fine), just letting you know my experience.

aww, poor Evo Sad I'm kinda grateful you posted this, cos he's absolutely fine when there's no veg, he's fine with a bit of Basil, parsley, and mint, but greens set him off, and now he won't even give it a go. The amount he ate is actually quite small, so I'm hoping the damage isn't too much and he's not permanently affected, but I'll wait and see what the vet says later.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 am

Oh poor Bertie bun! Silly beggar - but at least you know what it is now. Let us know what the vet says.

Tibbs had a good nibble at a fushcia over the summer which left her with a runny tum but not any stasis. The vet gave her a probiotic and had us keep her on hay, blackberry leaves and fresh grass for a few days and she was fine. I know it's a different plant, but I always think buns are tougher than they look!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:18 am

Jay wrote:

aww, poor Evo Sad I'm kinda grateful you posted this, cos he's absolutely fine when there's no veg, he's fine with a bit of Basil, parsley, and mint, but greens set him off, and now he won't even give it a go. The amount he ate is actually quite small, so I'm hoping the damage isn't too much and he's not permanently affected, but I'll wait and see what the vet says later.

I remember a 1 inch square of greens gave Evo the squits that he somehow managed to flick up to the height of the light switches. Laughing

Please don't worry about Bertie going the same way Evo did (I hope I didn't worry you with what I wrote), I'm sure all of his more recent tummy problems were to do with the frequent dentals (and the not eating from tooth pain) and GAs rather than the house plant. XX
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:56 pm

We've got this new Auzzie hunk for a vet...phew, bit hot in the surgery, :luv: I'm just recovering Laughing
Anyway, um, yes, we talked through it all, he really took his time to listen to his heart, lungs and GI, said the organs are fine but the digestion is slow, which makes sense, although we've had him on just hay and a few SS a day for the last 4 days, and the pooh's have looked good, but there's not been as many as usual. He's put him 10 days BioLapse, and we're to introduce veg very slowly in small amounts. He's confidant he'll be OK after, and so are we. Thanks for your help and wishes, and that list really useful Lynda Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm

oh glad the vet was hunky and bertie is hunky dory!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 pm

I had a hot flush Wink
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Ooh hunky vet, how nice! Laughing Glad to hear Bertie is doing good and is going to be ok! Very Happy
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 pm

What are you like! Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:17 am

Maybe Bertie did it just so you could see the hunky vet?? Laughing
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:02 am

Wow....Bertie as flirting assistant....that would be cool! Laughing
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Glad to say that Bertie is now producing the most amazing golden poos ever seen! His poos are usually black, and I think I give him too much veg Embarassed
He's been on hay, SS, Biolapse and mint for the last 10 days and his energy is amazing Smile I haven't tried any veg yet, I think I'm gonna give it a few more days, don't wanna rush it and go back to square 1.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Hurray for golden poos!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:58 pm

That sounds great....even like it may have given his diet & poo production a boost.

I'm so pleased he is OK :luv:.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynda Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 pm

Great news Jay, well done Bertie! Thumbs Up
Lynda
Lynda
Rescuer

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-08-01

http://www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Poor Bertie, his most intimate details discussed in public. Laughing Laughing

So glad that plush wonder is OK and hope he has learnt his lesson

*cue wagging finger*
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next