Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!!

3 posters

Go down

Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!! Empty Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!!

Post by Lola_Lotta Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on for AGES !!!!!

Anyway, I have to take the rabbits back to the vets tomorrow because I keep witnessing Lola trying to hump Lotta !!!!!

Am now worried she is a he !!!!!! The vet said that it's common for them to get it wrong when the rabbits are young (there were 8 weeks old when I took them and had them double checked as bought them from a pet store).

She also said that she could be female because females do sometimes do this still, has anyone else come across it ?

They are now 6 months old.

Thanks
Jenny x
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!! Empty Re: Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!!

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 pm

I've come across lots of females who do this because as much as mounting is an act of copulation, in rabbits it is also an act of dominance and the appearence of hormones will not only make young intact rabbits want to mate but to state their place in the warren too.

That said, it is sadly very common for young rabbits to be mis-sexed and as they are obviously now mature it is well worth getting them rechecked. Females can become fertile & developed enough to bear kittens as young as 4 months but it puts tremendous strain on their little bodies to do so.

Have you had a look at them yourself? At 6 months a little boy should have obvious testicals.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!! Empty Re: Rabbits going to vets tomorrow to be resexed !!!!

Post by Lola_Lotta Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for replying, its reassuring to know that females do this too.

No, I haven't looked at them myself because it's quite hard to do as they are still jumpy with me and don't want to stress them out or risk biting me, lol.

Will keep you posted as to what the vet says.

Thanks again

Jenny
Lola_Lotta
Lola_Lotta
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:30 pm

My females still mount their partners and they are about 3 years old and have been spayed. So it is obviously very common.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down