Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about house rabbits?

+5
peppersmummy
Jay
Catsknickers
racheld69
Kate7590
9 posters

Go down

Question about house rabbits? Empty Question about house rabbits?

Post by Kate7590 Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:04 pm

I dont have a house bunny, but I just have a question.
I have 4 bunnies but they are outdoor buns.

What breeds make the best house bunnies? non destructive/calm/easy to litter train??
The reason im asking is because in a couple of years ill be moving to canada with my OH and would really LOVE a house bunny, or nuetered pair.

I know im looking way ahead but I thought it would be nice to know so I have loads of time to research the different breeds etc.

Thanks to every answerer in advance x
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Question about house rabbits? Empty Re: Question about house rabbits?

Post by racheld69 Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:23 pm

hmmm - i think it is all personality based rather than breed. and making sure they have lots to play with - although with mine they weren't interested in toys - they just wanted the curtains!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:53 pm

LOL, sounds like my sort of luck that!
I figured that larger breeds would be calmer in a house environment.
I would love a nutered pair....I dont think more than 2 bunnies together really works does it?? Like a trio?
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:09 pm

I think larger breeds tend to be calmer. I also think that older bunnies are alot less destructive. Personally I find Netherland dwarves and Dutch bunnies to be naughty little so and so's no matter what their age lol.

Trio's can work however I think a duo is easier to bond.

xxx
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:50 pm

It's good to get a smart bun too, you can train them not to go places and chew cables and to use trays etc. My Bertie's very clever, he's a mini Rex, I think Rexes are quite smart, and he lives free range, doesn't have a cage at all Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by peppersmummy Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi, im new to all this so hope ive posted in the correct place. i need some reasurance. we have just adopted a bunny. we are keeping her as a house bunny. she has a lovely big cage with 2 floors in the kitchen but i would like her to have free run of the house eventually. i keep letting her out for half hour stints throughout the the day. every time she looks like she is going to wee i put her in the litter tray. but she is so not getting it. she is only about 4 months old and i have only had her for 5 days. am i expecting too much too soon or will she get the hang of it all of a sudden. she is clean in her cage. i will persevere because she is so lovely and i wont give up on her but i could do with any tips or advise as i dont want to confuse her by getting it wrong. thanx in advance. xx
peppersmummy
peppersmummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:04 pm

A better bet with litter training is to put litter trays in the places that your bunny chooses to wee in, ours prefer corners. With time you can then cut down on the number of litter trays that are scattered around Very Happy
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by peppersmummy Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 pm

i have put a tray in the corner of the kitchen that she prefers but now she just try s to go somewhere else so i keep picking her up and putting her in the tray and she just hops out and does a wee next to it. im sure she laughs at me afterwards! lol.
peppersmummy
peppersmummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Peppersmummy Wave You could be expecting too much too soon, your bun has just arrived, and will probably be quite scared of whats happened to her and needs some time to settle in. If you're going to let her out for 1/2 an hour, then you may need to give her a boundary, so put the cage across a corner for example, and let her explore slowly. You could put a used litter tray from her cage into that corner, but be careful which corner you choose, cos once they get into the habit of one corner, it won't matter if the tray isn't there or not, that's where she'll go.
Gradually expand the space she can move into until (over 3 weeks or so) she can explore the whole kitchen. If you give her too much freedom too soon, she'll struggle to remeber where to go to the toilet, and if she develops bad habits now it's tricky for later.
If she starts using a tray in the kitchen, and then stops, reduce the space again until she starts using the tray properly. Put hay and maybe her fave treat in the litter tray to temp her in!
You need a lot of patience, she will do it but giving her too much space too soon won't help her. Buns are naturaly very timid and wary and need a bolthole to hide if they get scared, certainly until they feel secure in your home. Smile When I was opening up the place to Bertie, we always had a cardboard box for him to run into as well as the cage.

I hope all that makes sense! Smile

Oh and check the 'Story so far' section of Bertie's site, might give you some tips Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by peppersmummy Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Thankyou sixer and jay. putting the tray in the corner of the kitchen is starting to pay off as she has started to use it. not everytime but there is hope. we just let her in the living room for half an hour and she loved it running around and leaping and twisting then she sprawlled out and rolled on her side had a little rest then she was off again. very cute. x
peppersmummy
peppersmummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:20 am

That's great, she sounds very cute Very Happy The leaping twisting thing is called a Binky!
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FudgesMummy Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 am

< realises she got very lucky with Fudge and house training!

Pepper sounds an adorable wee bunster who if doing Binkies and Flopping sounds like she is starting to settle and feel secure x
FudgesMummy
FudgesMummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post by peppersmummy Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 pm

she seemed to settle in the day we got her. she's so confident and sociable with a cheeky attitude. i love her to bits already. once we get this litter training mastered (which is looking alot more promising today no wee wee on the floor so far, just a few poos) she'll be perfect.
peppersmummy
peppersmummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:20 pm

They tend to pick a place where they want to do their business. If this starts to happen, move the litter tray there then gradually move it to where you want it to be. I have three house bunnies but only two are bonded. All in all they have been great with regards to chewing. Just once did Rory chew an electric cable. The power went off and he just sat there with a black mouth while I cried and cried. If you house is bunny proofed you should be ok. I love having them in the house as you really get to see their personalities. They follow me to the fridge for a treat, flop out in front of the tv and jump all over me when they think I have food.
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by peppersmummy Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Just thought id update you all on Peppers litter training progress. Its not good.she uses her trays but allso uses every where else. If i give her something new or some one visits she wees and poos on it or near them. everytime i catch her wee i pick her up and say no and put her in her tray. she tends to just poo constantly as she is hopping around so thats harder to manage. i just invested in a big play pen for her so she is safe whilst im out but can still run about and she has weed and pooed all over it. im wondering weather to just give up untill she has been neuterd or will this make it harder. should i just keep going? HELP ANYONE!! please. xx Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad
peppersmummy
peppersmummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Maybe a big cork!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by peppersmummy Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:30 pm

ha ha, mmm very tempting! its a good job she is so good in every other way. albino
peppersmummy
peppersmummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down