Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big dilemma

+2
Jay
NickieM
6 posters

Go down

Big dilemma Empty Big dilemma

Post by NickieM Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:16 pm

The wee bun that I found last Wednesday has been with us nearly a week and no-one has phoned to claim him.

I took him to the vet who said his runny eye was due to dental problems but they would need to do a GA to establish how bad they were. (He was the farm/large animal vet, and I think he thought I was mad to even think about keeping the bun).

But he is such a lovely compliant and contented bunny. I gave him a little run yesterday and it took him 3 hours to pluck up the courage to come out of the hutch. I think it is possibly because he has never been loose before. I don't think he is used to having hay to eat or good quality bunny food. Indeed, that is probably why his teeth are in such poor shape.

I have had the idea in my head the last couple of days of keeping him, but I am terrified in case I am taking on too much financially with a bun with dental problems. I have phoned the vets and asked for an estimate for having him neutered (he has a retained testicle too), doing an dental examination at the same time and giving him a myxi. I also asked them to give me an idea of what the cost of the worst kind of maintenance work would be and very run of the mill stuff.

I hope it isn't too dreadful and that I can consider keeping him as I am not sure that he will get a home with his problems.

I will also face the problem of bonding him with my existing pair as I have no intention of getting a mate for him. Can people please advise me if I am being mad and give me some helpful advice.

I want to make a decision based on sound facts and not just with my heart (which is desperately trying to sway the argument).

Can I especially hear from folk with experience of a dental bun and what it involves. Also bonding into a trio.

Last edited by NickieM on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To make it clear what I needed to know!)
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Big dilemma Empty Re: Big dilemma

Post by Jay Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I can't give you any help Nickie, but I think that practicalities aside, any of us would find it very difficult not to have the sam feelings towards this little guy. He has a very moving story and you are now a part of that.
I agree that you need to be rational about this, you cannot keep an animal that may overstretch your finances in this case.
I'm sure you'll get some sound help from the Hoppers and I'm sure you'll make the best decision Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:17 pm

Is your vet sure the runny eye is due to dental problems? Herbie and a previous bunny Barney, had runny eyes that were due to blocked tear ducts that were not related to teeth. I am no expert but I would have thought an X-ray would be needed to confirm that teeth are causing tear duct problems.

If the teeth are in a bad way then a better diet 'may' help with future problems. Both Nia and Herbie's teeth are not perfect. Nia had a molar burr in November - her first since she arrived in June. She is a massive hay eater but at her mxyi jab last week the vet said her molars are starting to grow unevenly. I expect her needing 6 monthly dentals at £100 ish. I guess her teeth problems are a congenital issue. Herbie had a dental in October 2007 - his teeth are not perfect but thankfully do not seem to be deteriorating. I do not think I would consider a conscious dental with our bunnies as they are all small buns and their mouths are minute.

Your rescue sounds a bonny little bunny. I feel for you as I guess the longer he stays the harder he will be to give up. As for bonding - I am a wuss so have no advice! Wish I could be of more help.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Nickie I am sorry this is obviously very hard for you. I have no experience of dental problems and very little with bonding so cant be much help. Sad

If you think about it logically, can you really afford it. As far as bonding goes, is there someone near you who can help, I know some rescues do a great bonding service.

Sorry I know that isnt much help I just want you to know I understand. If a bunny literally landed on my doorstep I know I would be in exactly the same position you are in.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:04 pm

i would want to keep him too. re: 3 bunnies it can work or it can leave 1 bunny a bit left out. Re: dentals i have one regular dental bun and then 1 that hopefully if he eats lots of hay etc he might not have to go for another one or not very often. anyway, i am not the best person to ask as i was meant to have 2 bunnies but have had 5 due to similar feelings and situations to yours! So if guess you need to look at finances and then think if he doesn't bond with your pair can you afford to get him a friend? but at the same time will you emotionally be able to give him up? i couldn't afford 5 but i manage to find the money from somewhere for these extra vets bills and stuff coz i would rather do that than have to have say to not keep my wildies when i found them or not taken Jigsaw from the freeads - i only had to call and ask about him and then felt like i had committed to him and couldn't let him down! But like i said I am prob not the most level headed person to ask!
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:58 pm

I have just heard back from the vet and they have quoted me £112 to neuter him, do myxi and a dental examination. The receptionist said that the chances were that molar burring would cost about £50 - £60 and front teeth clipping would be less cos it wouldn't need an anaestetic (sp?)

So I think we will be keeping him! cheers cheers
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:01 pm

hooray!!!!!! Are you working up the courage to bond then? I am so pleased for you. cheers cheers

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:10 pm

One step at a time. I need to have his single ball removed first!!! Then when the weather is a little better and hormones have died down we will step into the Valley of Shadowless Death with our fingers crossed!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Just catching up, glad you're keeping him Nickie Very Happy
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 pm

NickieM wrote:One step at a time. I need to have his single ball removed first!!! Then when the weather is a little better and hormones have died down we will step into the Valley of Shadowless Death with our fingers crossed!

You do make me laugh Nickie I love that you speak as dramatically as me you have no idea how much I restrain myself on the internet from saying everything I think for fear you will all go running for the hills!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Erin, you must unleash the Kraakon, my dear. Tis the only way!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Glad you are keeping him Very Happy Has he got a name yet?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down