Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat?

3 posters

Go down

should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat? Empty should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat?

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:28 pm

we have a big bad of peanuts in their shells, each of our degus gets one each as a weekly treat. It helps wear down their teeth getting them open then they get a little treat inside. We were wondering if we could do the same for the rabbits, but as they are considerably larger than the degus, how many and how often? If at all? xxx

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat? Empty Re: should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat?

Post by Rosie Rabbit Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:44 pm

I *think* it's probably best not to feed peanuts, even as a treat, as they are high in protein and fat, and not a natural part of a bunny's diet.

Not 100% sure though, I'm sure someone else will know.

How are you feeling today? Hope you're a bit perkier Wave x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat? Empty Re: should rabbits be allowed peanuts as a treat?

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:50 pm

thanks! I knew someone would know better than me! I am a little better today though Alex is worse so its 6 of one half a dozen the other! Smile But its ok. Smile How are you?

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 pm

They can be fed as a very occasional treat (unsalted, monkey nuts being best) but TBH I have only fed peanuts to bunnies I needed to bulk up as they are high in protein which can lead to digestive disturbances.

Last edited by Sooz on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm

ah well then, thanks sooz! these are unsalted monkey nuts. But I dont want to get my little blighters fat.

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down