Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbits feel pain more than most animals?

+3
NickieM
Rosie Rabbit
Jay
7 posters

Go down

Rabbits feel pain more than most animals? Empty Rabbits feel pain more than most animals?

Post by Jay Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm afraid Bertie's been back to the vets for his tummy. We had some good weeks, and now he's back to intermitent pre-statis episodes that can last 2-3 hours. I've managed to ward off full stasis by syringing water and Infacol, and massaging his belly, which brings on poo and then he's fine.
Sunday we had 1/2 a day of it and yesterday we took him to be examined. I was hoping for an X-ray but we've been advised to quarantine him for a week to one room, and remove anything that he can eat in there, which we've done. If there is another episode, then they will do a Barium X-ray. The vet was unable to say if the problem was related to his previous poisoning, or what.

She also said something I've never read or heard before, that Rabbits feel pain more than most animals, so when he is having this discomfort, he will be in pain as well, and has given us Metacam to have in, for when this happens again. I'm a bit surprised that with all the things I've read and listened to, I've not heard this before, but it has made me very aware of handling him when he does do it, and bizarrely, last night, he'd been back 2 hours and it happened again. I was up til 1 with him, he was just laying in his litter tray. After tummy rubs, water and Infacol, he eventually pood, and started eating Hay, and today, so far, you'd not know anything had happened.

I don't doubt my vet, but is this pain thing common Knowledge?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Rabbits feel pain more than most animals? Empty Re: Rabbits feel pain more than most animals?

Post by Rosie Rabbit Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Oh Jay, how disappointing. Sad

Poor Bertie, after all he's been through recently. It's horrible when they are just lying in their tray in discomfort. Sad

Personally I've not heard that buns feel pain more than other animals.

Sending lots of vibes for Bertie's tummy xx
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Rabbits feel pain more than most animals? Empty Re: Rabbits feel pain more than most animals?

Post by NickieM Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm

What a worry for you, Jay. I hope that Bertie's tummy settles down and he gets a bit of relief.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

poor bertie. glad he is better though. i've not heard that before.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:22 am

Not heard that before, but im sending loads of vibes and kisses to Bertie :luv: Hope he feels better soon x

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 am

Not heard that one before. Maybe the vet meant that they react to it worse - like going into stasis / not eating because of it etc???
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:00 am

I think what the Vet may have meant is that Rabbits hide pain a lot more than other Pets. Being prey animals it is in their best interests to do so thus not showing vulnerability to predators. I dont think the Vet meant Rabbits feel more pain as such, just that because they dont show pain some people may assume they dont feel it.

Also, when Rabbits are in pain it triggers a physiological response which causes the slowing down of GI function and a drop in blood pressure. Hence the need to provide additional warmth (heat pad/heat lamp) to a poorly Bun.

I am sorry to hear that Bertie has tummy trouble Crying or Very sad
In my experience Rexes are prone to having a more delicate GI tract.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks for your wishes folks, and thanks for that Jane Wave Yesterday, no problem, so far so good Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 am

Am pleased to hear Bertie is feeling better xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down