Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you give me the bunny health check low down?

2 posters

Go down

Can you give me the bunny health check low down? Empty Can you give me the bunny health check low down?

Post by senatorvass Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:25 pm

I spend a lot of time with my buns and watching them and checking poos etc and I feel I would see any obvious health problems. I think what has prompted this post is that on one of Theo's rescue threads you were all talking about nails that were too long and I realised I really dont know if mine are or not. Embarassed Am I supposed to be checking them all the time? I read ages ago when I got them that as long as they are living on a variety of textures & have the chance to wear them down they should be fine, but I guess it has highlighted to me that I may not know everything I thought I did, if I am unsure on this issue.

So could you please give me the run down on what I should be regularly checking and doing? I very well may be doing it already but I would like to be sure. Thanks! xxx

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Can you give me the bunny health check low down? Empty Re: Can you give me the bunny health check low down?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Weighing your Bun once a week is a good way to monitor them as unexplained weightloss is often the first symptom of a health problem.

Its easier to check the length of Buns nails if the nailes are pale as you can see the quick. In general the nails should not be longer than the fur on Buns feet. Except for Rexes of course !!

Its a good idea to check Buns Incisors. Any sign that they are wearing down unevenly might indicate a potential Dental problem involving the molars aswell. Feeling along the jaw line for any lumps is another check that needs to be done. The jawline should be smooth. Any lumpiness indicates elongated tooth roots which can lead to mandibular abscesses.

The ears should have a 'look and sniff' check !! Look for signs of excessive wax or inflamation. Sniff and if the ears smell offensive infection may be present, often seconadary to ear mites.

Eyes should be checked for any signs of gunkiness or discharge.

Regular grooming will help maintain a healthy coat and there should be no dandruff, which again may indicate the presence of mites. Grooming during a moult is particularly important to try to minimise the amount of fur Bun ingests.
Grooming will also enable you to check for any 'lumps and bumps' etc

Bum checks need to be done daily, more frequently during warmer weather when flies are a problem.

And some people say Rabbits are 'low maintainance Pets'............ Shocked

Back to top Go down

Can you give me the bunny health check low down? Empty Re: Can you give me the bunny health check low down?

Post by senatorvass Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:48 am

thanks very much for that info!! Very helpful!! I am certainly with you on the 'low maintenance pets' thing... I had to enlighten someone who wanted to get a rabbit as "they were about as much work as a hamster" Shocked Although its been about 2 decades since I have had a hamster I dont remember much of a comparison work wise, though they are lovely I am sure. But either way getting a pet for those reasons is pretty bad!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkatmoo Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:28 pm

My bun goes for me if I try to go anywhere near his bum! He absolutely HATES me touching his tail.

We have such fun! Rolling Eyes
kitkatmoo
kitkatmoo
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by senatorvass Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 am

kitkatmoo you have my total sympathies! My buns accept me as a loyal servant and not much more so I am afraid bum checking is very hard indeed!

senatorvass
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down