Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start?

+5
lopz
NickieM
Jay
Catsknickers
Karina
9 posters

Go down

Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start? Empty Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start?

Post by Karina Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 pm

I've kept bunnies for many years now, but over the past 4 years I seem to have become "obsessed". I cant quite figure out what it is that I like about them so much. It certainly isnt the fact that they like to destroy my home, or the fact that Dodge loves to annoy me by chewing though every cable he can find Hissy I love their smell and would happily sniff their lovely fur for hours. I love how their personalities are so different and they all show affection in some way (some more than others admittedly) I love how clever they are (well not all the time, I hate how they can outsmart me) I love it when they come running even if its just because I'm bringing them food.

My fat fluffs make me happy albino Love
Karina
Karina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start? Empty Re: Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start?

Post by Catsknickers Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 pm

I often ask myself why I keep them, as I have not luck and just seem to get heart ache and strss. But something keeps me coming back for more.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start? Empty Re: Why do you keep bunnies and where did you start?

Post by Jay Mon May 25, 2009 7:33 pm

I got Berts for a few reasons, when I was little someone dumped a blue giant on our door, my old man built a hutch, which was far too small, I was on;y about 6, and he died a few months later. When I was older I was horrified at how we'd kept him.
I was brough up on a farm, and the first rabbit I saw in the wild had Myxi, then there were hundreds of them. The old man used to shoot them to put them out of their misery Sad It was in the 70's and Myxi was rife, and it wasn't every farmer that wanted this disease.

So I have a huge guilt trip towards the bunny Sad I've been in this personal relationship for 13 years, I think it's going to last a while longer, so about 4 years ago we started talking about it and Bertie arrived 18 months later. A bunny was the perfect pet as we could be here when he was awake and out when he's alseep, and I didn't want a carnivorous pet, that was a big deal, so again, Bunny fitted the bill! I have spent so many many days in total looking into fields watching rabbits. It was meant to be Smile I love my little guy Love
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon May 25, 2009 9:00 pm

We too had a New Zealand White bunny when I was a kid and I cringe about how she was kept. She was really grumpy and I now know it was just cos she was unneutered. She also was extremely territorial and a dreadful ankle nipper. The cats were terrified of her!

I took pity on Holly as friends had her and wanted to rehome her (I didn't realise that they were on the verge of splitting up). I ended up with Wolfie as a companion for her and then she died. Wolfie seemed so upset and lonely that we got him Gloria and then we found Felix. Now it gives Wolfie someone to hate. He and Wolfie had staring contests at each other and it is a bit like the 37th parallel in Korea.

I do enjoy them and find them fascinating. I love watching them and just seeing what they are up to. Gloria is a sweetheart, but Wolfie is like a really naught toddler and it is a bit of a battle of wills between us. Love
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by lopz Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm

I bought my daughter a bunny when she was in her early teens, she called her Lola.
When her father and I separated, I took the bunny and took care of it the time my daughter was with her dad.
Lola died in my arms one day.
Later, I was given a bunny by my then boyfriend, that was Marylou, it was 1997.
Always had buns from that day. When I had to put to sleep my beloved Obi and Amy, I couldn't have buns for a while, I really missed it.
Now I fell in love with French Lops, they are so charming!!
lopz
lopz
Banned

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by alex31702 Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 pm

We promised the kids a rabbit once we had moved in to our new house. We have a nice big garden and as we lost our dog just before Christmas, we didn't want to replace her just yet so rabbits seemed the best thing for the kids. We moved here in April and the kids have been moaning for weeks. After reading up (having never had a rabbit before) we decided to contact a friend of mine who breeds rabbits for shows. I went and saw him last Sunday and asked if he had any buns to keep the kids quiet and put our names on 2 of them for when they are ready to leave their mummy.

While we were there another rabbit breeder saw how upset my daughter was at not being able to take a bunny home on the day and offered us a look at his netherland dwarf who was 10 weeks old. They guy only opened the box up he was in and I knew he was coming home with us. Still have the other 2 coming in a couple of weeks, so we went from none to 2 and now to 3!
I know Felix belongs to the kids but he is so my bun, he loves it when mummy comes and talks to him and tonight he was sitting on my lap having another cuddle, and he started licking me. Didn't know rabbits did this, was really cute.

I guess we all start somewhere, but we all end up feeling the same........
I love being a bunny mummy

alex31702
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Thu May 28, 2009 10:53 pm

My mom got a bun from my brother for her birthday a couple of years ago. I thought he was adorable and when I bunny-sat him for a week while my parents were on vacation, I fell in love! I didn't want to give him back when they returned Embarassed Laughing

I knew I had to have one of my own so along came Piper a few weeks later. About six months after that I wanted to try getting a friend for Piper so I got Alfred. Needless to say they absolutely hate each other Laughing Laughing Laughing

I love all animals and would have a right zoo if the hubby would allow it Laughing It's just the rabbits for now though, and I couldn't think of any better animal companion to have!
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Fri May 29, 2009 11:01 am

Jess and Ryan wanted one for years but we said no until we got a bigger garden.so as soon as we moved they started to save up.
Kept rabbits now for allmost 3 years and got the bug.I'm happy to say that the kids still do their bit but its me whos smitten.i would have more if i could (watch this space Laughing )
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubysbro Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

We started when mom went into the pet shop and she fell in love with thumper at first sight. we got ruby because thumper needed a friend and we thought ruby would suit him and she did. Now all of us love them and look after them. Love

Rubysbro
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down