Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slight panic sorry of covered already.

5 posters

Go down

Slight panic sorry of covered already. Empty Slight panic sorry of covered already.

Post by bearess2002 Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi guys

Ive just got in from work and decided to put the rabbits out to graze and like a always do i check them over especially around there private areas for things like fly strike. I am a bit of a novice with rabbits and i do find myself panicing over the siliest of things so i do appologise if this has already been covered.
Basically ive taken a look at Caspers genital area and ive noticed a slight tare where is testicals should be scratch on closer inspection it appears dry and doesnt look like a sore as such more like a cut or tare. He has been castrated a while back and apeared to have healed nicely from that i didnt notice anything yesterday, and he has an appoitment at the vets on Wednesday, but im stressing incase its something serious pale if i can add some pictures ill add them on but can anyone put my mind at rest or have any suggestions as to what might be wrong with him.

Thanks
Louise x
bearess2002
bearess2002
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Slight panic sorry of covered already. Empty Re: Slight panic sorry of covered already.

Post by Catsknickers Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi sweetie, sounds like nothing much to me. It could be that he has nicked it at some point. Bless him. Don't worry x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Slight panic sorry of covered already. Empty Re: Slight panic sorry of covered already.

Post by Snowy Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Does he hump the other bunny?, sometimes if they do it to the other bunnies head then he could get a little nip?
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 pm

If it has scabbed over and isn't swollen, red or weeping then don't panic as it dosn't sound infected and he won't need to see a vet urgently, Wednesday would be fine.

As Theo has said, it would be worth trying to establish if it is damage caused by his partner because it could indicate further problems in future.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bearess2002 Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks to everyones advice and kind words. Thumbs Up

I had Casper to the vets today just to be sure and ease my worry, and well i feel a bit of a fool now Embarassed the hole that i saw on my rabbit is in fact his anal glands Embarassed and it is perfectly normal. I feel such an idiot but the vet was so good bless him but i bet inside he was laughing so hard.
Anyways he is fine and ive nothing to worry about, i just have to remind myself its all alearning curve. cheers

Thanks everyone
bearess2002
bearess2002
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 am

Oh dear, the do tend to look a bit like a scab when they are bunged up with waxy crud! Glad it was nothing to worry about.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 am

Sooz wrote:Oh dear, the do tend to look a bit like a scab when they are bunged up with waxy crud! Glad it was nothing to worry about.
Is it advisable to clean this area frequently. I usually give them a wipe with a piece of damp cotton wool but am not sure if I should leave it for the bunnies to clean themselves. It can get very smelly though. pale
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:24 am

As a general rule it isn't thought necessary to clean the area frequently but what I have noticed myself is some rabbits seem to get pretty messy down there and others don't.

Of all my bunnies Fiver is the only one whose scent glands I clean for him and in terms of frequency I tend to do this when I cut his claws so probaby about every 10-14 weeks.

Damp cotton wool or a cotton bud is the best thing to use.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josephine Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks for that Sooz.
Josephine
Josephine
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3380
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down