Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slight panic- Cylap

+4
Sixer
Thumper2001
Happy Hoppers
Dotdot
8 posters

Go down

Slight panic- Cylap Empty Slight panic- Cylap

Post by Dotdot Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm kicking myself right now.
Just taken the buns for their VHD, and I'm sure you can guess where this is going. They've used Lapinject in the past and I just didn't think to question what they were using today. Then I saw that they'd used Cylap and I'm slightly worried.

Tigger is in a right huff at the moment, she won't even take any food from me but I'm guessing she still needs chance to calm down as we have only just got home- or at least I hope it's that.

Last edited by Dotdot on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Slight panic- Cylap Empty Re: Slight panic- Cylap

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Try not to worry! In the rabbits that do experience a reaction to Cylap it is usually very minor and clears up in a few days. Just keep an eye on the injection sites for any swelling/redness/fur loss and also for the VHD limp.

Might be worth asking your vets why they have suddenly changed to Cylap when most vets go the other way...
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm

I agree with Sooz! I'd be asking them why they've used cylap this time.

Have the buns had cylap before and had a bad reaction? If not, don't panic, Thumper had it for years and years and she had no reaction to it whatsoever, so it's not always bad Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:31 pm

It can be quite normal for buns to be grumpy after injections whatever they are. It took a little while for Bruce to develop a limp and then overnight for Flo to develop it as well. I would say keep an eye on the injection site for signs of abscesses developing - other than that there is nothing you can do. It took a couple of days for Bruces limp to go away again and there is nothing the vet can do help or speed it up. He did not appear in any pain with it. Flo's went faster than Bruce's. You need to inform the vet if you are sure there has been a reaction as the drug company are gathering data on problems.

It is worth reminding the vets that there are other options now whilst you are at it. My vet and I have an ongoing cyclical conversation where I say 'I don't want them to have cylap again' and she says ' I have never seen buns reacting before' and I say 'because most people don't pay enough attention to their rabbits' she says 'hmmm' and I say 'they aren't having it again'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Sooz wrote:Try not to worry! In the rabbits that do experience a reaction to Cylap it is usually very minor and clears up in a few days. Just keep an eye on the injection sites for any swelling/redness/fur loss and also for the VHD limp.

Might be worth asking your vets why they have suddenly changed to Cylap when most vets go the other way...

Actually looking in their books they have had either Lapinject or Anivac in the past (the sticker doesn't seem to have a name on it).
I'm just as confused as to why they've gone the other way. I'm thinking it's because they don't get many buns in there receiving vaccinations, and even if they do a lot of owners do not play close attention. So maybe Lapinject costed too much because you have to use it up in a certain amount of time if I am correct? My vet is quite vigilant and over time has built up a good knowledge on rabbits so I think it might be that she has not had any reports of side effects. (She was saying earlier that they are hoping to set up a rabbit awareness week in April because they do not get many buns in for vacs).

Thumper2001 wrote:I agree with Sooz! I'd be asking them why they've used cylap this time.

Have the buns had cylap before and had a bad reaction? If not, don't panic, Thumper had it for years and years and she had no reaction to it whatsoever, so it's not always bad Smile

No they haven't had it before so we will just have to wait and see. It makes me feel better to know that Thumper never had any problems!

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:It can be quite normal for buns to be grumpy after injections whatever they are. It took a little while for Bruce to develop a limp and then overnight for Flo to develop it as well. I would say keep an eye on the injection site for signs of abscesses developing - other than that there is nothing you can do. It took a couple of days for Bruces limp to go away again and there is nothing the vet can do help or speed it up. He did not appear in any pain with it. Flo's went faster than Bruce's. You need to inform the vet if you are sure there has been a reaction as the drug company are gathering data on problems.

It is worth reminding the vets that there are other options now whilst you are at it. My vet and I have an ongoing cyclical conversation where I say 'I don't want them to have cylap again' and she says ' I have never seen buns reacting before' and I say 'because most people don't pay enough attention to their rabbits' she says 'hmmm' and I say 'they aren't having it again'.

Hopefully her stress will calm down later.
Last time they used either Lapinject or Anivac, is Cylap cheaper maybe?
I agree with what you've said, so many people either don't bother with vaccinations or don't pay enough attention to the side effects so of course the vets won't be notified.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:01 pm

How strange scratch

My vets now use Anivac in preference to Lapinject. Using Cylap seems a bit of a backward step.

Two of my buns have had a Cylap vacc in the past with no ill effects. Am sending some healing vibes for yours xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Florences' VHD last year was Cylap, I didn't bother to check as they gave me some leaflets about Lapinject so I assumed that was what they used. The day after she had it she had a sticky bottom, and did limp a bit. She looked so poorly bless her Crying or Very sad

Hope they are both ok.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 am

Preventative vibes for Tigger Love & the ever
bunderful Jeeves Love. Hugs for dotdot
too! Hugs

~holly~
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:24 am

We used Cylap for years without any problems with all our buns so I wouldn't worry but I would like Sooz said ask your vet why did they use Cylap this time, they may have had a reason.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for your reassurance and well wishes. Tigger forgave me last night after her strop but seems quite knackered today, I think it took it out of her. Jeeves is just being Jeeves Laughing the coolest of cucumbers.

Both using the opportunity to be divas with the hay as you'll see in my 'hay issues' thread
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Hope all is well love, positive and loving vibes are on their way.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down