Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info

+7
NickieM
Big Ears
Rice
proudmummy
Happy Hoppers
Sixer
Jay
11 posters

Go down

A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info Empty A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info

Post by Jay Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:32 am

I was a bit surprised the other day when I took Berts for his booster that there was absolutely no info in reception on bunnies, but there used to be.
Since I joined that vets, their bunny awareness seems to have decreased, as have their savvy vets. Everything was about cats n dogs. I wondered about sending them some info, either RWA lefalets or something about HH to give out.

Is it the same at your vets, have you tried leafletting them before and is it effective?

If we were to produce leaflets about HH, would you consider giving them to your vet?

thanks Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info Empty Re: A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info

Post by Sixer Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:41 am

Our vets has a large bunny awareness display - RWA leaflets, info on flystrike and vaccinations. I do have a suspicion the vets are not as clinically bunny aware as I would like them to be though. Hence I only trust them with jabs and when the buns are going into stasis. If I suspected anything more complicated I would be off to KayJ's bunny savvy vets despite the distance.

I would certainly send your vets some RWA leaflets and I also think I would ask my vets if I could leave them some HH info. Most knowledge I have gained has been through forums.

Maybe your vets, if they have some free wall space, would let you produce an information board?
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info Empty Re: A couple of questions re: vets and bunny info

Post by Happy Hoppers Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:33 am

I used to take my old Rabbiting On mags in to leave in the waiting room but both my vets have large wall displays which feature rabbits and lot's of posters and leaflets, perticularly on diet, vaccination, teeth, digestion and what constitutes an emergency.

What is lacking is EC, housing & exercise and quite importantly behaviour related literature.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by proudmummy Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 am

Hi our vets has quite a few leaflets, to be honest, haven't noticed if any on bunnies Embarassed

I think there is one or two and they have a board with loads of places to put buns if you are going away.

I'd be happy to put some info about HH there xx
proudmummy
proudmummy
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2271
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:29 pm

My vet has loads of things on cats and dogs, as most vets do, but she also has quite a lot about exotic pets. There's not much specifically on rabbits, but there is at least one flyer in her waiting room.

I'm actually surprised, come to think of it, because my vet owns rabbits herself and loves them as pets. I would think she would want more information for her clients as well scratch I would definitely feel ok about taking in leaflets! Very Happy
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:52 pm

There's loads of stuff on bunnies at my local vets. I'd say about equal each for cat, dog and bunny. There's loads of leaflets re housing, keeping them with companions etc. Posters on flystrike, worming etc, quite comprehensive. This seems to have happened in the last year or so.

Not really sure the vets' knowledge lives up to the expectation from the waiting room though - some are still fairly useless Rolling Eyes

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:26 pm

I was in there this morning and they had a few leaflets about vaccinations, some Excel free samples (picked up a sample for mature rabbits - sorry Gloria!) and a really good leaflet by Burgess that covered a lot of good ground and said all the things that we say on here.

However, having said that, it is very dog and cat orientated because that is probably their mass market area.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:41 pm

NickieM wrote: (picked up a sample for mature rabbits - sorry Gloria!) .

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Our vets used to have a wall display with rabbit information but I have noticed its come down recently, although the last few years they have had a display up about fireworks around this time of year so they might just be changing it to that

Even without the wall they have lots of leaflets around about rabbit care and they also stock quite a good range of bunny stuff like food, hay, treats and toys Very Happy They give out these packs as well to rabbit owners with information on vaccinations/housing/feeding/fly strike and so on, I think they also include RWA leaflets in these folders. Now I am thinking about it I think there is actually more info on rabbits in my vets reception area than there is on cats and dogs! x

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 am

My vets are pretty good with posters and leaflets about bunny care, I would certainly take in a poster and ask them to display Thumbs Up
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by thumpersmum Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:30 pm

I would certainly pass them to my other vet (the one I use for the dogs) as they have very little bunny info.

thumpersmum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Sooz wrote:
NickieM wrote: (picked up a sample for mature rabbits - sorry Gloria!) .

Laughing Laughing Laughing

And no, it wasn't a toy boy Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for your replies, will get back to you re: printed info Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:47 am

I sometimes feel like rabbits are second class citizens when it comes to vets. I took my bun to a well known "animal hospital" (hint) in London recently and they don't even bother to get in rabbit vaccinations anymore. Meanwhile about 30 bull breed dogs were sat waiting for their vaccs!

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down