Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby bunny feeding questions

3 posters

Go down

Baby bunny feeding questions Empty Baby bunny feeding questions

Post by Magoo Sat May 15, 2010 8:15 am

Our little Peppa and Pippa are just 6 weeks old. In their old home, before they came to us, they were being fed that wagg muesli stuff ( Rolling Eyes ) and also vegetables including potato peel Shocked

Since bringing them here I am slowly changing over there food to SS pellets. They don't like them as much and leave them until last! So I'm trying to change it over quite quickly but without causing upset. Their poos are all normal so I'm hoping the change will agree with them. My question is on the veg. Bunnies ahould wait until 12 weeks old or so before they have veg. I think with Pippin I started giving him really small amounts at 10 or 11 weeks and introduced each veg over the period of a week or so. Although these babies are still so young and I haven't given them any veg, would it be wise to feed them little bits of veg (although obviously not potato peel) as they have already been having it for a couple of weeks now and could be used to it? Or would it be better to still wait until they are nearer 12 weeks?

I just wasn't sure if it would effect them negatively if they suddenly stopped having vegetables Hmmm Thanks everyone.
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Baby bunny feeding questions Empty Re: Baby bunny feeding questions

Post by Snowy Sat May 15, 2010 9:43 am

Hi, those bunnies are just gorgeous!, anyway, if it were me I would feed Excel Junior and Dwarf, it has all the nutrients in that young babies need, SS doesn't, SS has all the nutrients etc for older bunnies but not babies, and they love the taste of Excel J & D, this is what we do with all the babies we have here and it works really well, then around 5-6 months we start changing them over and we usually do it over a 8 week period, so if we start at 5 months we finish at 7 months etc

As for vegetables, all my babies have vegetables from as soon as they can eat, not much and I really mean only a bit and I usually grate it or chop it small for them again depending on their size and age, I have never, ever had a problem with feeding veg that young, I can't believe they were being fed potato peelings Shocked Shocked Shocked , well done for getting them a decent diet now, it will make such a difference to their well being and certainly their teeth.

Good luck and we want loads of lovely pictures Love Love
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sat May 15, 2010 9:55 am

Thank you, that's very helpful Smile

do you think it'd be ok to switch food to the excel junior even though we've already started to give them some SS pellets?
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sat May 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Yep, do it as you would when you were changing to SS, they will love the Junior and Dwarf, all my babies adore it and then at 5-6 months you can change them on to SS and they always accept it better.

Being as the previous owner fed them potato peeling, I think you should go back and get all the rest of the babies Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing then you can give them a proper diet and look after them.

Lots of photos please Thumbs Up
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 pm

God it makes me want to cry to hear about buns being fed on potato peelings.

that makes me think that mum must be being fed like that always. I feel a bit sick.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sat May 15, 2010 10:36 pm

There were a few buns there all in small seperate hutches. It is upsetting. I just wish we had the room here and I would have bought them all home with me!
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down