Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Typical litter habits?

+3
Jay
Rosie Rabbit
ElleyMay
7 posters

Go down

Typical litter habits? Empty Typical litter habits?

Post by ElleyMay Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've got kind of an odd question, but how well litter trained are your rabbits?

Brynn has always been very good, and after her spay she did improve. I've really noticed how "good" her litter habits are now that I'm in a new place. I'll probably jinx it by saying this, but she has not had one accident outside of her cage (not even ONE poo)... and she has free roam of the place anytime I'm home (so she is out a lot). Obviously, this is a very welcome attribute considering my flooring and furniture Laughing. Now, as I'm preparing to get a second bunny, I'm wondering if Brynn is the standard or an exception?

Especially for those of you with indoor rabbits, how "well trained" are your rabbits? and... do you think, when I introduce a second bunny Brynn's litter habits will change (long term)?

Thanks as always!
I suppose I should get off Happy Hoppers and go to work now!.... Laughing
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Typical litter habits? Empty Re: Typical litter habits?

Post by Rosie Rabbit Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Wave

I do think that Brynn sounds very well litter trained (not one poo? Shocked Wow, clever girl! Laughing ). From my own experience bunnies will normally wee in their trays all the time but may leave a few poos scattered round about their living area, usually near their tray. But spaying does help enormously, as you've discovered with Brynn.

You might find introducing another bun will make her leave a few more poos outside her tray for a little while, but then again she may be fine.

Rosie is very good really - she always wees in her tray. So much so that in her younger days when she used to go outside, she would never wee on the grass - she would hold it in until she came back inside and go straight to her tray to relieve herself! Laughing
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Wow, Brynn is a smart bunsta!
Berts always wees in his tray(s) - he has 2 indoors and 1 in his summerhouse outside.
In his bedroom, all the poo goes in the tray, in the lounge, about 50% of it in the tray and the other 50% surrounding it. I think he uses it to mark his patch.
Once he's done that, he stops poooing outside the tray, as soon as we clean it up, he does it again Rolling Eyes Bless Love
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by hanspan Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Fuzz is very well trained, but bonding has made him go a little crazy with the poo markers! I'm hoping he'll go back to only pooing in his tray shortly, and teach Petal to do the same!

hanspan
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Rice Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:26 pm

Piper is very well trained, I can't recall her ever having an accident out of her litter tray besides the occasional poo. Alfred isn't quite as good as Piper, he's had a few accidents here and there. I think it's mostly because he's too lazy to go and find his litter tray when he's chilling on the couch with me Rolling Eyes If I put his litter tray wherever he is he uses it.

Sanford, on the other hand, is horrible with accidents! Although she isn't spayed yet so I'm sure that has something to do with it. It's like she is a rebellious teenager and is just doing it to make me mad! Laughing
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Gloria and Wolfie are outside buns and have a very defined corner where they go to poo and wee. They don't leave poos or wees anywhere else in their compound and will get up and move to that area to do their business.

During the night they use their litter trays and apart from the odd poo in their living area, they leave a little pile of poos in their beds.

Felix is the same.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Briony and connie all wees go in litter tray and a good amount of droppings.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 am

Rosie Rabbit wrote:Rosie is very good really - she always wees in her tray. So much so that in her younger days when she used to go outside, she would never wee on the grass - she would hold it in until she came back inside and go straight to her tray to relieve herself! Laughing

Aww! Bless her! When Tori visits my parents and is allowed outside she will scratch at the door to be let IN so she can use her litter box! Rolling Eyes

hanspan wrote:Fuzz is very well trained, but bonding has made him go a little crazy with the poo markers! I'm hoping he'll go back to only pooing in his tray shortly, and teach Petal to do the same!

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Very helpful!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down