Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding...?

3 posters

Go down

Bonding...? Empty Bonding...?

Post by Kate7590 Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:23 pm

My fiance has just suggested that when we move with Charlie [German Lop] to Canada, we should get him 2 [!!] girlfriend buns.
If we go ahead with this, which I actually quite like the idea of, I would hopefully get 2 girls from the same litter.

Am I correct in thinking perhaps a young [8week old] girl will be much easier to bond with Charlie than an older lady?
I must say that when I handreared 2 baby buns last xmas they lived with my nuetered nethie boy, and got on fine...is that coz of the age ??

I quite like the idea of a trio!! Very Happy:D:D

Kate x
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Bonding...? Empty Re: Bonding...?

Post by Kate7590 Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:44 pm

ALSO- Can bonding begine before the girl bun is nuetered? Such as at 10weeks of age??
I would of course get the girl/s nuetered, but thought Charlie could go with them to vets so they wouldnt loose their bond...??
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Duchess Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 pm

I'd say yes, and yes (but personally don't particularly like to do it)

I have found it easier to bond babies as they haven't learned anything about peckiing orders, how to be naughty or grumpy like the oldies....

You can bond youngsters before they are neutered but you do then have to watch like a hawk for the time to neuter them as if you miss the signs of hormones developing and maturity beginning, you might well end up with fighting and a broken bond. This isn't always the case, but if this isn't managed well and they do break up, you may not be able to rebond.

We bonded a 10 wk old boy with our old lady fudge as she wouldn't accept a boy of her own age or even close. We felt she might accept a baby as her own rather than as a friend/lover). She did and the bond went like a dream. We managed this by looking for the signs (in our case chasing started) and got the boy off to the vets the next day. We didn't split the buns up when they went to the vets or came home, but did keep them confined to a smaller area than normal. The continued to live happily with no further chasing. But, I have had a friend recently who had bonded an unspayed female and one day out of the blue the fighting started and she had no choice but to split them up. The rebond wasn't plain sailing (although it did happen) but they have still been having scuffles, so they aren't quite as close (yet) as they once were.
The Duchess
The Duchess
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Babies always seem to be easier to bond with a grown up! Duchess, I love your avatar.
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down