Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Briony has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery

+7
Catsknickers
KatieB
NickieM
Rhianna
ElleyMay
Happy Hoppers
jan
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Briony  has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery Empty Briony has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery

Post by jan Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 am

i need vibes for Briony please.We notice she was off her food yesterday teatime and wasn't herself but every thing went pear shape as my mum been ill and she was rushed into hospital yesterday tea time Sad . so through the night it was a case of keeping her warm and water.Anyway shes seen the vet had 4 injections and fluid feeding her every 1/2 hour both rabbits are in the house at the moment so we can keep her moving/belly rubs etc.I just don't want to over stress her being in the house ?(heating in the room they are in as been turned off) If anyone can offer further advice it would be most appreciated xx

Last edited by jan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Briony  has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery Empty Re: Briony has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am

Have you tried to give her some Infacol and also added probiotic to the water feeds she is getting.....I've found starting with 2ml of Infacol followed by 5-10ml of probiotic infused water and then belly rubs helps. I then give 1ml of Infacol followed by the liquid feeds every hour.

Is she dehydrated at the moment, if so do not try to get her to eat anything besides hay until she has had plenty of fluids so put that off for a couple of hours. If she is hydrated then a mix of warm, moist pellets, probiotic and organic fruit based baby food often gets them going once the pain relief kicks in.

Sending tonnes of (((vibes))) and Hugs.....sorry to hear about your Mum, I hope she is OK too.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Briony  has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery Empty Re: Briony has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery

Post by jan Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:50 am

Sooz wrote:Have you tried to give her some Infacol and also added probiotic to the water feeds she is getting.....I've found starting with 2ml of Infacol followed by 5-10ml of probiotic infused water and then belly rubs helps. I then give 1ml of Infacol followed by the liquid feeds every hour.

Is she dehydrated at the moment, if so do not try to get her to eat anything besides hay until she has had plenty of fluids so put that off for a couple of hours. If she is hydrated then a mix of warm, moist pellets, probiotic and organic fruit based baby food often gets them going once the pain relief kicks in.

Sending tonnes of (((vibes))) and Hugs.....sorry to hear about your Mum, I hope she is OK too.

Thanks sooz
Aneka has given 2 full syringes of fluid (injected in to her) antibiotics.pain relief and something to get her gut going.Also given me pro biotic and oxbow to mix into a paste to feed half hourly also said fresh pinapple juice wouldn't hurt.so would you also use infacol ?? she has got very small spurs on her back teeth but she thought that these wasn't to blame.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 pm

If she has bloat that means there is a build up of gas in her tummy and Infacol will break this gas down. The active ingrediant (simethicone) is chemically inert so is not absorbed into the body and consequently will not do any harm even if it does no good, so yes, I would still use it.

You can mix the pineapple juice in with the paste to make it more tempting, but again you may need to also add something very sweet like the baby food. I was using an Ella's organic apple & strawberry one for Loki.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxx
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleyMay Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Lots of vibes for Briony!! Poor thing!
ElleyMay
ElleyMay
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1551
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Get well soon little bun. I had no idea bloat was so common. Will keep an eye out for it - sounds horrible.

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Briony  has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery Empty syringe feeding not going well

Post by jan Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:09 pm

i'm just lost what to do and i've got to go and see mum at the hospital soon Crying or Very sad
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Sorry that this has happened all at once Jan. Hoping your mum is Ok and that Bryiony makes a recovery soon. xx
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Is she passing any stools at all yet Jan....Sad
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Get well soon Briony.... good luck with her treatment. Thinking of you

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Sooz wrote:Is she passing any stools at all yet Jan....Sad

No none.we put them back into hutch as she gets stressed in the house.so put plenty of straw in but shes just laid in the carrier no signs of poos.i've only just got back from hospital kids have been looking after her.jess says her stomach feels softer i'll check her at 9 when we bring her in to do feeding.Thats not going down to well.shes holding it in her mouth might try her with some moist pellets.tried her with everything i can think of.got tescos veg rack in house
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Vibes for Briony xxxx And you you must be stressed! x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:00 am

Really sorry to hear this Jan. Hope Briony's tummy starts to feel more comfortable soon. It's so stressful when they're ill. Sad

Sorry to hear about your mum too. Thinking of you. x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:05 am

I'm tired so going to bed I'm on duty at 3.Brought both girls in Jessicas bedroom as we thought briony ears was feeling colder.connie exploring the bedroom.briony laid in her carrier but we think we heard gurgling (not heard it before)fingers crossed .feeding still not going well but is taking bigger quantities of water.
still no poos or wee.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:08 am

Fingers crossed for some movement soon. x
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:19 am

I hope Briony is feeling better this morning, poorly bunnies are such a worry.

I am sorry to hear of your Mum and hope there is some good news there too.

Thinking of you xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:24 am

It's good that she is still taking water, as whilst you want her to eat, it's no good if she is dehydrated first. Hoping she has shown some improvement today. Hugs
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Briony  has bloat UPDATE shes well on her way to recovery Empty update.

Post by jan Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 am

well its been a long night.Briony moving around more and seems stronger putting up a fight now with syringing.and not so hunched up,eyes are brighter and fully opened tummy's making loads of noise.1 very very small dropping not what i was expecting as it was full of hay and golden brown?She eaten a very small piece of apple going to try her with some parsley/hay soon
Thinking about putting them back into hutch soon as she may perk up a bit more being in her own environment.
Just hope we turned a corner.

(Connie on the other hand as settled in very well tried her hardest to get up on the bed last night. Had a good wander around went into our room and took over poppy's(cats) bed whilst writing this she stretched out chilling.)
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianna Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 am

Oh what a worry for you. It's so stressful when our fur babies are poorly.

I hope Briony has turned a corner and will soon be back to her usual binkying bouncy self.

I think Connie has decided she wants to be a house bunny. Very Happy

Rhianna
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:11 pm

That sounds promising, hopefully she is turning a corner now. Try and get her to eat some mushed pellets if you can as what her innards will need most at this stage is a good boost of fiber and it's inlike she will be nibbling hay for a few hours yet. Fingers crossed! Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Sooz wrote:That sounds promising, hopefully she is turning a corner now. Try and get her to eat some mushed pellets if you can as what her innards will need most at this stage is a good boost of fiber and it's inlike she will be nibbling hay for a few hours yet. Fingers crossed! Smile

Thanks sooz xxx
I've put them back in hutch shes seems to be moving about more.Will go and do some mushed pellets now.she had some ox bow 1 hour ago along with agood 10ml pro biotic and i'm still doing infacol every 2.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by holidayhutch Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Just caught up with this Jan and hope she'll be o.k

Also hope your mum is o.k too, she's lovely is your mum Smile

holidayhutch
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jan Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:37 pm

holidayhutch wrote:Just caught up with this Jan and hope she'll be o.k

Also hope your mum is o.k too, she's lovely is your mum Smile

Thanks.
jan
jan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd probably stop the Infacol now unless she starts to go downhill again. Smile
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum