Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you think a lone bun is ok?

4 posters

Go down

Do you think a lone bun is ok? Empty Do you think a lone bun is ok?

Post by AprilGirl Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:14 am

I've been reading alot recently about the welfare of buns and that they should be kept in pairs. I'm worried that Shadow is needing a friend but also worried that he may be 2 old or not willing to accept another rabbit now.
I've not been able to give him as much attention as I had been, with a few health and situation problems recently and his territorial aggression in his hutch is getting worse. I think he maybe getting bored and not enough stimulation.
I had a look on BARC's site yesterday and noticed they have a year old black rex female and mentioned it to hubby who went off on a rant about the fact we can't have another rabbit, for one we can't afford one Shocked In my eyes I'd rather not neglect my boys needs.
I know this is a subject that has been covered before and I'm sure I've even asked this question before too. I'm just worried, I'm not providing all he needs!
Thank you for reading my ramble
Emma x
AprilGirl
AprilGirl
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you think a lone bun is ok? Empty Re: Do you think a lone bun is ok?

Post by Jay Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 am

I'm sorry to hear that Shadow's having the grumps. If you honestly really can't afford another, then don't, as you may end up having to rehome one or both of them and as you say, this is is home.
I'm always surprised at how some rescue buns can reach 7 or 8, having lived alone in ia hutch all that time and can still be bonded, so it may not be impossible, but a wiser route may be to introduce Shadow to another bun at a Rescue, have them bonded there and then brought home. This means it's less likely you'll have 2 unbonded buns.

If that's not an option, as the weather is getting better, you could simply spend more time out there with him. Sit and play, spend time out there and give him some company, and you may see an improvevement, but these are just my suggestions, I'm sure there will be more Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 pm

I agree with Jay, if you really can't afford another bun then don't get one Wave

When you say you don't think he has enough stimulation, what toys does he have? I used to bring my single buns inside whenever I was home and just sit with them, so they weren't alone. Even if I was just reading or something I sat on the floor next to them, and I used to spend a lot of time in the garden with them just sitting in their run while they played or interacting with them while they free ranged. Would you consider bringing him inside as a house bun if it meant you would be spending more time with him?

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I have a lone bun Felix who I would love to bond with Gloria and Wolfie but to date haven't been successful. He seems to be quite happy. I give him lots of noserubs when I go out but I think he might have always lived alone (he was a stray) as he is a little scared of other buns (hardly surprising when Wolfie turned into Hannibal Lecter last time :rolls:)

I know that Jay's Bertie is a happy bun and he's a singleton. You just have to give them lots to do and keep changing things in their run so they can do lots of investigating and exploring.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down