Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun.

3 posters

Go down

Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun. Empty Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun.

Post by Tammybunny Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 am

Hi everyone Smile

Im new here. My name is Tammy, im 21 and im a nursing student. I have a hamster called Toffee, 7 rats caller Custard, Winnie, Nelly, Doola, Spot, Crumble and Sherbert and i have my lovely little chappy my rabbit Alfie.

I got him in November and he was shortly neutered as he is a house bun. So when we got him he was on his own, and i had always said that i would get him a friend at some point. So now i think this point has come. Although he is happy and doesnt cause too much trouble Laughing but i know my complany is not enough and he needs some of his own.

So we have found a giant girl near us whose owner can no longer have her. She is absolutly adorbale and is spayed. Now Alfie is a normal size bun, average in all aspects other than personality and i was wondering in getting a giant might intimidate him or be a little overwhelming.......

Also found a little 12 week old boy bun but wasnt sure if 2 boys is a good idea?

Any advice would be greatly recieved! Thank you all in advance Smile

Tammy x
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun. Empty Re: Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun.

Post by KatieB Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Tammy

Welcome to Happy Hoppers.

I know that members here have bonded two boys, boys and girls, girls and girls, groups of all sizes and buns of all sizes with other buns of all sizes so it can be done.

The important thing to remember is that its not just as simple as putting two buns together, they need to be properly bonded. Some times this is really easy and sometimes this is a little more complicated and can take time and patience.

Buns are like people and some buns they like and some they dont. Some they will take longer to fall in love with. Its more a personality thing than a sex/size thing.

In all cases, all parties should be neutered. If hormones are in the equasion, then fighting is very likely as they defend territory and this is as true of girls as it is boys.

That said you shouldnt be put off, bunnies in love is a beautiful thing, you just need to be prepared that sometimes it can take longer than you think.

Do you have somewhere you can keep them separated while "bonding" takes place?

The general idea is to introduce the buns slowly, using a few steps including
Initial meetings in neutral territory (a lot of members choose the bathroom)
Stroking one bun and then the other to transfer the scent.

There will be some members along soon who are more experienced and can help you more.

Of course if you do decide to get either (or both) buns we are always here to help you with advice every step of the way.....its what we do.

Again, Welcome. Feel free to get stuck in with postings.

Katie x

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun. Empty Re: Hello, Question needed about a friend for my lone bun.

Post by Jay Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Welcome Tammy Wave
Katie's given you some sound advice - successful bonding is as much down to the willingness of the rabbits to bond as much as it is down to the way that you do it.

We made a video that may help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qraiZ8g6M

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammybunny Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Aww thanks so much guys! I have bonded my rats before and its kind of similar really. Down to the ratt being willing etc.

I love the giant girl she is just gorgeous, but its not just up to me, my boyfriend has to agree as well. So we shall see! Thank you for your help guys! xx
Tammybunny
Tammybunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down