Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weepy eye

+2
NickieM
Shellypops
6 posters

Go down

Weepy eye Empty Weepy eye

Post by Shellypops Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Hey my newer bunny Carlo is going in for his dental check tommorrow as he has a bit of a teary eye! I just wondered if anyone else has bunnies that eyes do this? And what sort of care do you have to give them?

I try and clean it every day as it seems to need it.. as I mentioned before he's getting checked by the vet anyway so I should know either way whats causing it!

I'm just hoping it's nothing too serious Sad
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Weepy eye Empty Re: Weepy eye

Post by NickieM Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Get your vet to check his teeth. Sometimes a weepy eye is an indication that there is problems there.

My bun Felix has a blocked tear duct, his teeth aren't causing it, but it is always weepy. I just keep an eye on it to make sure it's clean and leave it alone.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks hun! Do you clean it with anything? I have just been using a cotton bud really gentlley and some warm water. I am soo nervous for the little man Sad he hasn't had the best start in life
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Good luck for tomorrow. hope they can find out what is wrong with it. x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:37 pm

I have a dental bunny who also has a permanently damaged tear duct on one eye, it is usually caused by a tooth root interfering with the duct or by an infection or irritation. Long-term damage results if irritation is persistent as the duct will scar and then the opening narrow.

For Fiver I have found the best thing to keep his eye clear is a companion who grooms it for him, but if this is a new condition treatment with a antibiotic drop such as Tiacil or an antibiotic and steroidal drop such as Fucithalmic may be all that is needed.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 pm

me too Love Thanks sweets
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 pm

My vet said to use cold tea to clean it.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 pm

You can also smear Vaseline on the fur/skin the tears track down to stop the salt rotting the fur and making the delicate surrounding skin sore from constant exposure to the wet.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Sooz wrote:I have a dental bunny who also has a permanently damaged tear duct on one eye, it is usually caused by a tooth root interfering with the duct or by an infection or irritation. Long-term damage results if irritation is persistent as the duct will scar and then the opening narrow.

For Fiver I have found the best thing to keep his eye clear is a companion who grooms it for him, but if this is a new condition treatment with a antibiotic drop such as Tiacil or an antibiotic and steroidal drop such as Fucithalmic may be all that is needed.
Well he is bonded with my big doe Bobby! However he grooms her and she is much to important to groom him No .. he gets a lick if he is scared of something, but otherwise he is the one doting on my premadonna Wink

Thanks for responding I have only kept buns as an adult for about 11 months Embarassed And i wanted to be armed with as many questions as I can get when I go in tommorrow. Instead of just going blank Rolling Eyes
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Vasilne and cold tea! Right got it.. he just has a little crusty bit when I get home usually.. and I get rid of it and he grooms me cos I think he is relieved to get rid Very Happy
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oggie Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm

My old bun had this and when I took her to the vets, they gave me eyedrops to give her once a day. she soon got over it Smile
Hope he is ok!
Oggie
Oggie
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 am

hi guys well I had a bit of a day of it yesterday as my other bun Bobby got out and ate loads of dandelions which gave her a bad tummy, she had runny poop and wouldn't eat Sad

Took her and Carlo straight to the vets and they gave her recovery food and something to get her gut going, she is fine and back home now.. Carlo has a few high bits in his mouth which may or may not be the cause of his weepy eye, so they gave me a course of eyedrops to try and if doesn't clear up then he will have a proper dental.

He eats and poops fine, so his teeth don't seem to be bothering him, I just am making sure he eats lots and lots of hay,

Thanks for the advise given, will let you know how we get on with the eye drops Wave
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Glad Bobby's pulled through, it's such a worry when they stop eating. I hope the eye drops help Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks thankfully Carlo is a good boy and getting the eyedrops into his eye shouldn't be too much of a problem! Very Happy

Bobby is almost there now ust eating a little slower than she was, but it takes a while for them to get back to normal
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Bobby couldn't bear to be left out obviously, the old drama queen! Laughing

Felix had eye drops but they didn't really help. I found him as stray and he had a runny eye then. I think it is for life so just keep a check on it.

Hope Carlo is feeling happier soon. At least you know that his teeth are OK.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Sometimes the eye drops work wonders, it really does depend on the cause. Catswhiskas' Chance had a really bad runny and infected eye recently and once he went onto Fucithalmic three times a day it drastically improved and the fur has started to grow back now.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:07 am

NickieM wrote:Bobby couldn't bear to be left out obviously, the old drama queen! Laughing

Felix had eye drops but they didn't really help. I found him as stray and he had a runny eye then. I think it is for life so just keep a check on it.

Hope Carlo is feeling happier soon. At least you know that his teeth are OK.

I think your right about Bobby she is a drama queen... erm I think I may be to blame for that Embarassed Laughing

well his eye actually looks a little better but I have only been using for two days so will see.

His sister had very very bad dental problems thats the reason I was a little concerned as the poor darling has literally twisted teeth Sad
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down