Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny's Dirty Feet

+2
Velvet.Tears
Magoo
6 posters

Go down

Bunny's Dirty Feet Empty Bunny's Dirty Feet

Post by Magoo Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:02 am

Hey everyone. Since all 3 bunnies started living together, all 3 bunnies seem to have really dirty feet. They don't feel wet but I'm worried they are going to get worse and cause problems for them and sore hocks. I know it's because of the litter trays but I don't know how to keep them cleaner and dryer than they already are. They are cleaned out every day and they use 2 large litter trays. Should I be cleaning their feet somehow? I know baby talc could harm them but what about another type of powder? Maybe something made for rabbits?

They are lovely clean bunnies with beautiful coats (updated pics to follow when I get a chance!) it's just their feet that are the problem Embarassed
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Bunny's Dirty Feet Empty Re: Bunny's Dirty Feet

Post by Velvet.Tears Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 pm

For my rabbits i used this powder that is made for rabbits, I got mine from pets at home and I can't remember what its called if I find the bottle i'll let you know but you can buy it in PAH. And as for their mucky feet try using some grooming wipes for rabbits which can also be bought from PAH.

Last edited by Velvet.Tears on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm really having a job spelling properly today)
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi emma

I use an absorbent litter for daisys tray. Its really good - its called Smartcat and its made from recycled paper so its not the end of the world if he has a nibble of it. Its really good.

A massive bag is about £9 and it works a treat.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Wooden cat litter is what I use and like Katie B, it works a treat!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I must admit when I tried bunny litter I didn't get on with it. It was very absorbant but when I tried to take out the poo and clumped bits like when I do the cats litter tray I couldn't do it properly. The poo fell through the holes of the scoop so I ended up emptying the hole lot so the litter only last 2 days which worked out quite pricey.

Maybe I should give it another go though. Thanks for the replies Smile
Magoo
Magoo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1193
Registration date : 2009-03-25

http://bellasbunnies.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:25 pm

I use something similar to Katie's.

I use something called Breeder's Choice (it probably isn't available OS) but it's recycled newspaper litter in pellet form. It's meant for cats but bunnies can use it. It's good at absorbing and smells nice when it's peed on.

Re: poo, i scoop it out every day, but i am not pedantic about it - often i'll leave a few poos in the litter tray because it was too difficult to get everything.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie Rabbit Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi Wave

Not sure what litter you tried, but I use Megazorb (with hay on top). It's about £6 or £7 for an 85 litre sack, which lasts ages. You can just remove the damp litter quite easily too, making it quite economical.

I've never used any kind of powder or wipes on their feet, so can't really comment on that.

The only thing which has occurred to me is that I wouldn't use wipes on the bottom of their feet too often as it might flatten down their fur, which is the only protection they have against getting sore hocks.
Rosie Rabbit
Rosie Rabbit
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2016
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:08 pm

I think just a little bit of a wipe if they get really mucky can't do any harm. I remember when Stacy had sore hocks she had no fur on her bottom feet and covered in abscesses the poor girl. What the vet prescribed aswell didn't help I ended up bursting the abscesses thoroughly cleaning them myself and they went and I used to put baby socks on her paws, She looked so cute.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down