Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what veggies for winter time?

4 posters

Go down

what veggies for winter time? Empty what veggies for winter time?

Post by AlexC Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 am

hi there
i have not been on this in about a year, i made my account when needing advice when my rabbit caught namonia no idea how to spell it, well sadly she died Sad, and i rescued a rabbit from the sspca, a lionhead cross hes massive and hairy lol, named leo but we call him banjo, i am just wondering what do you feed in the winter? as they do not get out as much as the summer especially if we get another winter like last, obvi plenty of there hard feed, and hay but what other things to make there diet more interesting over these cold months? and how do you do it? hiding them etc, i want him to be stimulated as much as possible while in his hutch, also does any1 use that vitamin stuff you put in the water ? or is it just a waste of money, i want him to have a nice happy healty life, and as long as possible, so any of your advice would be great, for keeping him happy for the next few months of cold weather Sad he doesnt seem bothered yet though, hes tucked into his breakfast, and an apple, oh and also what food do you feed? cereal or cubes? sorry dont know the rabbit terms there the horse terms i am used to lol, i dont have a problem with him eating the cereal he eats the hole lot, and we get a massize 15kg bag or sumin like tht from our local horse shop millers
many thanks
alex

AlexC
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

what veggies for winter time? Empty Re: what veggies for winter time?

Post by Jay Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Wave I'm sorry you lost your bun, but nice to hear you rescued another Smile
They don't need any special veg in the winter, just keep on feeding the variety you normally do. Some buns may need extra pellets though to help them sustain weight. It may be an idea to keep a check on Banjo's weight every week and see if he's loosing any.

You can get both wire and plastic treat balls to feel veg and pellets in. This gives him stimulation as he has to work to get the food out.
Here's mine with his plastic one clicky

I don't know what cubes are, but the cereal you refer to I think is what we call Museli mix. This food is generally not the best, for a couple of reasons: 1. Rabbits tend to eat the bits they like and leave the bits they don't, so they aren't always getting the complete nutrition. A 'complete' pelleted food such as Science Selective, or Burgess Excel (Although that can give some buns runny poos) is a better option. This was they are getting all their nutrition.
2. Museli mix isn't generally high in fibre and can also contain sugars and other compressed things that buns shouldn't have. High fibre content is important, Science selective has a fibre content of 19%. Some museli mixes (and I don't know about yours) hve as little as 5%

We've discussed Vitamins ion here a few times, and the consensus seems to be that unless your bun has a need to have them, they aren't of much use, provided they are getting plenty of good nutrition.

If he's outside in a hutch, he'd really benefit from having a friend - is this something that you'd consider?

Hope some of that helps Smile

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am

hi there, im in abit of a rush atm as need to go and try and catch my horse which wont catch :@ erm but yes i would really consider giving him a friend, just need to get mum on our side lol, another rabbit friend or a gpig? ive always wanted to get him a friend but had always been told my pets at home that this was a big nono as they would fit, ill respond to all the other stuff you wrote later on this evening but thanks for the speedy reply Very Happy

AlexC
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:01 pm

He would need another rabbit. I know a lot of people think you can keep GPs with a bunny, but it is not a good idea. Rabbits and GPs speak different languages and often a rabbit will bully the guinea pig. A rabbit needs to interact with another member of its own species.

Introducing rabbits isn't something that you do quickly normally. Rabbits are very territorial and if a rabbit isn't neutered, it can be even more extreme. The best pairing combination is between a male and female (both must be neutered), but you can bond male and male (as I hope to do) or female and female.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:06 pm

hi there, i didint think keeping them together was recommended, my hutch is really only big enough for him and he is not neutered and i dont know how my mum would feel about getting him done with all the other animals i have, and just getting a new horse in a week or so i wouldnt want to ask for anymore money,
to jay
thanks for those tip i will defo try them out, as for the food, i will look and see when i next buy it if they have a pellet form one rather than the musli but he not a fussy eater and eats the hole bowl full everyday,

i am thinking of clearing my shed and mby giving him half of it for the winter so that he has more room to move around than just his hutch, especially as we are in for another winter like last

AlexC
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi,

Getting him lots of space is sooooooooooo important. Bunnies love to spring about stretching their legs and using up all the energy they have. They need lots and lots of exercise, and a friend will be the best thing in the world for him. They love to be stimulated and are very very clever.

Bunnies love company, it is definitely recommended but they need to be neutered. Its not very expensive and they need some TLC afterwards for a few days.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 pm

hi there
well atm i cannot get him in the shed for mby another month as i am very busy moving my horse to a different yard, getting my terrapins in for the winter, and then ill do him but for the time being i will put his big run up on the paving so he can get out, but i wont put him on the grass as my garden is very wet and he will just get minging, i have spoken to my mum and atm she doesnt want to get another one, i will keep on at her tho lol, but i will be home alot more now aswell so i will give him alot more attention now he cannot go out as much, he seems to like my dogs company tho lol following him round the garden lol, oh and i was just wondering, in the summer he gets 1 bowl of food aday, im not 100% sure but i think the jug i use is half a litre nd he gets 1 aday should i be giving him more? or just make sure his bowl is nice and full for him at all time? i just wont him to go hungry lol,

AlexC
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Ahhh how lovely that he plays with the dogs. he sounds like such a gorgeously friendly chap.

The run sounds like a brilliant idea for when he's not out and about. Thumbs Up

I wouldnt feed him all the time as you need to make sure he is still eating his hay because its so good for him buns will nibble whatever is most tasty and maybe leave the hay.

I dont have an outdoor bun but I know some of our members give their buns a bit extra in the winter, just to help them out a bit. But I dont think its a massive amount more.

Someone will be along soon who will know more about this than me though.

Give him a cuddle from me....cant wait to see pics!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexC Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:03 pm

hi there
he is very cute lol, altho he runs up to the tennis ball and sits on it and when toby goes to get it he chases him lol,

ill get the run set up hopefully 2moro or in the next day or so, as tomro is extremly busy, i have to cut my horses field into a tiny paddock as she is not catching lol, then i need to get my terrapins in asap or theyr going to die and then i have to packi my horse stuff up lol
im going to go to the farmer and get a bale of hay as its better and you get more for your money and a bale will last me ages, mby the hole winter,
the help you are giving me is great thanks
pics.... i know i keep forgetting lol ill get some on soon, and the rest of our gang
ill post pics of the:
cats, dogs, terrapins, tortouises, fish, horses, rabbit, chickens, avery, and my new horse when i find him/her Smile lol

AlexC
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 pm

If you do change him onto pellets, you need to make the change gradually. Rabbits have a very sensitive digestive system and big changes can be dangerous. You should do it over 10 days mixing in 10% of pellets into his museli and add more each day until you have completely changed over within 10 days. That way he gets used to the new food gradually.

If you look on the side of the pellet bag, you will see how much they recommend that you feed. I generally feed my buns 1/2 a teacup each and a bit more in the winter. The objective is to get them to each much more hay or grass than pellets. They really need to eat lots of hay to keep their gut healthy and help to grind down their teeth that never stop growing.

Generally, a day for one of my buns is as follows:

1/2 teacup of pellets and fresh hay put onto their litter tray
A selection of veg - usually three - in the evening when they go to bed.

During the day, they are loose in their compound and can nibble grass and branches.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:12 am

Perhaps your mum could be persuaded by some facts Smile
Pets at home do not sell neutered animals, so I suspect they wouldn't advise pairing on the grounds that the animals wouldn't be neutered?

Friend of the forum Dr. Anne McBride (who is a bunny behaviourist author and patron of the Rabbit Welfare Assoc.) says this
"Ideally two rabbits – one of each sex – should be purchased. They should be of similar size, and breed, the easiest option is a litter brother and sister. In this way the rabbits will have constant companionship in a natural group, with none of the possible problems associated with introducing strange rabbits to each other at a later date. As soon as possible both members of the pair should be neutered, reducing the likelihood of any seasonal aggression and unwanted youngsters."
Source: Click here

Once they are adult, they can (depending on the bunnys nature etc) be bonded to the same sex as well. Anne was just giving an 'ideal' as most buns are bought as babies from the pet store.

The RWA site says this
"Rabbits are social animals Rabbits live in colonies: you'll never find a wild rabbit living alone. Pet rabbits need company, either from you or another rabbit."
Source: Click here

Both articles are a good read, as are the articles and videos we have produced here Smile
Once you get Banjo neutered (this is in his best interests anyway, as he will be a frustrated little bun) you'll need to wait a couple of weeks for the testosterone to leave his system, then perhaps you could find a local rescue to get him a friend. This is a good option, because Rescues are more likely to have a bun his age, rather than getting a new baby from the pet store. Many rescues will also bond your bunny for you. You take Banjo along for a week, they do the bonding, you pick them both back up happy Smile

I think he would really appreciate the shed space and it will give you space to be with him.

You sound as if you really love you animals, following all the advice on here will really help ennsure Banjo's life is as happy as it can be and that is all that, as pet owners, we can do Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down