Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flooring..?

+2
Jay
LilyGrace
6 posters

Go down

Flooring..? Empty Flooring..?

Post by LilyGrace Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 am

Helloooo👋 Well basically, we are all moving house next year (I live with my mum and step dad and boyfriend)....and they *might* be buying a house bigger than the one we are in now, which means me and my boyfriend can have our own flat on the top floor. YIPPEEE...we were going to be moving out but this means we can sort of move out, but save money and it would've been a nightmare trying to find a place that would let us have rabbits.
Anywhooo what I've been wandering is for people who have their bunnys in their house what would you say was the best type of flooring to have?! Because atm my buns have wrecked the carpet in my bedroom and I know they can't walk on laminate flooring...So would a hard waring carpet be best? Rugs placed on laminate type flooring? orrr carpet squares so if they wreck one I can jst pull it up and put a new square down?
Or does anyone else have any wonderous suggestions? Smile Something they can walk on, but can't chew lol
Luna is the main culprit, she loves a good dig in the corners and a munch on the carpet >_< Laughing

Thankies Very Happy
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Flooring..? Empty Re: Flooring..?

Post by Jay Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Different people have different things, so I hope you get some good suggestions Smile
Firstly, you can train some buns not to munch carpet, by clapping loudly when they do, and saying 'NO' sternly, (I usually gently press on their nose too) then give them a willow twig or cardboard to chew instead, with a treat for chewing it, they will soon learn that chewing what they are meant to chew on is a good thing.
Failing that, with carpet, if you put normal household tiles (shiny side up) in the corners and any other spots they like, this will deter them, You can also buy long plastic carpet edgers that will protect them.

Carpet tiles are another good option. Laminate, vinyl and wooden floors that are slippy are not good as you say. If you do have them, scatter rugs or bits of cut off carpets. Buns do calm down as they get older, but some will always much carpet.

We went the training way with Bertie which was very successful. Thankfully Stewie hasn't touched a carpet yet.... Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Daisy loves a bit of carpet - or rug....especially if its new or expensive.

We found a large rubber backed kitchen rug which is really hard wearing and the pile is tiny. Whicn means that as hard as he tries (and boy has he put his back into it) he just cant seem to remove the fibres. Its also washable which is great.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Oooh okay thanks Very Happy!
Yeah Jay, I try saying no to her and making loud noises, but nothing phases her haha...it works if she spots a wire she shouldn't but with carpet she is so stubborn, loves it tooooo much! You're lucky Stewie hasn't discovered the wonders of carpet yet Wink, god knows why they seem to think it's so tasty, I can't imagine it tastes of much haha.

I'll keep all these things in mind for when we do move, I was thinking a carpet or rug with a tiny pile would be best as we have this in another room they go in and she can't chew it no matter how much she tries - much like Daisy it appears Razz. The tile thing also sounds like a good idea! Cheers guys
Thumbs Up
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi, I use carpet tiles over a peice of taupaulin for Rosie. When I was trying to litter train her i noticed that she only wee'd on the newspaper and not the carpet squares, so I covered the pen floor in squares of carpet and hey presto! a toilet trained Rosie!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Katieb wrote:Daisy loves a bit of carpet - or rug....especially if its new or expensive.

We found a large rubber backed kitchen rug which is really hard wearing and the pile is tiny. Whicn means that as hard as he tries (and boy has he put his back into it) he just cant seem to remove the fibres. Its also washable which is great.

I can just picture him really trying to rip it apart Laughing
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:23 am

Velvet.Tears wrote:
Katieb wrote:Daisy loves a bit of carpet - or rug....especially if its new or expensive.

I can just picture him really trying to rip it apart Laughing

Yep he gets hold of the fibres in his mouth and pulls and pulls and pulls....you can see him putting his weight into his back legs to get maximum leverage. Little Devil.

Saying "No" and clapping etc also doesnt work with daisy....he doesnt care. Makes me love him more for some reason.......
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Is he the devil in disguise? I'm joking Daisy, i'm sure you are lovely really
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Katie, you can't be speaking about the cute innocent bunny in your Avatar?? Axminster wouldn't melt in his mouth. Laughing Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:Hi, I use carpet tiles over a peice of taupaulin for Rosie. When I was trying to litter train her i noticed that she only wee'd on the newspaper and not the carpet squares, so I covered the pen floor in squares of carpet and hey presto! a toilet trained Rosie!

That's ingenious Thumbs Up
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:57 pm

NickieM wrote:Katie, you can't be speaking about the cute innocent bunny in your Avatar?? Axminster wouldn't melt in his mouth. Laughing Laughing

Errrr yep that'll be him!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down