Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit Moult

3 posters

Go down

Rabbit Moult  Empty Rabbit Moult

Post by Shellypops Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:32 am

I think there are a lot of tummy issue buns around this time of year because of the moult, it is almost a year to literally the exact day, that my Bobby had her last episode.

What type of thing can be done to combat the stress that a bun has to go through whilst moulting.

I have heard of Treat ums but have never used them.

Some people have mentioned to me that pineapple juice is a good stimulant scratch I have shyed away from it because of the really high sugar content.

I think that being hydrated is definitley a big factor, as blockages can occur when you have some dry food partially blocking the tract. So I think the most imoprtant thing that actually got Bobby's gut going was the syringed water, I guess it will break down any food? Thumbs Up

I'm just thinking "out loud" here and please feel free to comment on my musings
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Moult  Empty Re: Rabbit Moult

Post by Jay Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 am

It is a worry at this time, and some buns seem more susceptible than others.
Moulting can make some buns go a bit quieter than usual, sort of introspective, but I don't know if this is stress or not.
I'd suggest brushing and combing every day, twice a day when the moult is heaviest - even just for 2 or 3 mins, to reduce the amount of ingested hair. If Bobby isn't into this, then you can dampen your hands and stroke her, and some excess fur will come off on your hands.

Pineapple juice isn't a gut stimulant, but it contains an enzyme called Bromalain which is reported to break down the mucus that than clog the hair together, effectively breaking down a fur ball, although this is the subject of much conjecture. As a preventative to stop the fur clogging at all, it is a recommended thing to do, however successful it may be.
You must use fresh Pineapple, not 'from concentrate', but you can buy Bromelain tablets in the health shop, just make sure you get the Sugar free ones Smile

I had to syringe water in Bertie when he was moultling, he hardly drank any, and I used to put Pro Biotics in it as well, anything to help!

Last edited by Jay on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo 'not')
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellypops Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for your comments Jay, I will try pineapple Very Happy I went and forgot to pick up the pro biotic for Carlo from the vet with all this going on, so will take a trip up there after work tonight
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 am

Is this a lump of fresh pineapple or fresh juice? How would you give it to them, didn't know if you needed to mix it with water or anything.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 am

If they'll eat pineapple, that's fine, or you can juice it or buy the fresh juice, if you're gonna give the fresh juice, personally I'd water it down, it's very sweet Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 am

I can imagine it's quite sweet, I'd pull a face let alone the buns haha. I'll give her a small piece just for preventative i think
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: