Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poorly hock - what now??

+2
Happy Hoppers
rallybunny
6 posters

Go down

Poorly hock - what now?? Empty Poorly hock - what now??

Post by rallybunny Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Evo has had poorly hock for a while now. It is not sore hocks as such, but he makes the callous bit on the bottom bleed when grooming it a bit too enthusiastically - I think he gets itchy! This has happened twice now, the last being 2 weeks ago this Wednesday.

He has had Dermisol cream for it, but from what I have read recently, this might be a bit too harsh now??? It's not bled since, and he's left it alone. Should I continue with the Dermisol, or try something else or just leave it now?
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Poorly hock - what now?? Empty Re: Poorly hock - what now??

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Is Dermisol a corticosteroid preperation like Fuciderm? If so I can understand why it may be making matters worse as corticosteroids thin the skin by 'stripping' away damaged tissue thus making the area more delicate longterm.

When Pippa had sore hocks I treated them with a liberal application of Sudocrem and a circular elastoplast over the top....though I wouldn't use that in a rabbit that showed an interest in chewing it.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:16 pm

My Vet went to a Bunny Seminar and one Vet there said Dermisol was a no-no for Sore Hocks but I cant remember why..... Hmmm

I wonder if some Aloe Vera Gel may help. It rehydrates the skin thus reducing itchiness. But it does not make the skin too soft and likely to break down.
http://www.aloe4.me.uk/Products/AloeVeraGelly.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 am

Sooz wrote:Is Dermisol a corticosteroid preperation like Fuciderm? If so I can understand why it may be making matters worse as corticosteroids thin the skin by 'stripping' away damaged tissue thus making the area more delicate longterm.

When Pippa had sore hocks I treated them with a liberal application of Sudocrem and a circular elastoplast over the top....though I wouldn't use that in a rabbit that showed an interest in chewing it.

Well, it says on the packet that it gets rid of necrotic tissue, so it certainly sounds like it.

I had thought about the Sudocrem, but it's not really sore any more - just a bit pink / red, and I think that might be the Dermisol. Sad

Jack's-Jane wrote:My Vet went to a Bunny Seminar and one Vet there said Dermisol was a no-no for Sore Hocks but I cant remember why..... Hmmm

I wonder if some Aloe Vera Gel may help. It rehydrates the skin thus reducing itchiness. But it does not make the skin too soft and likely to break down.
http://www.aloe4.me.uk/Products/AloeVeraGelly.htm

Aloe vera sounds great - does it have to be that particular one?
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 am

i use aloe vera gel on barney's hocks - just a tube i bought from holland and barrett.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 am

I use sudocrem on Treacle when she gets sore, silly mare will stand on her cat litter and thump No
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rallybunny Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am

I have this - already. Do you think there are too many nasty additives in it?

Ingredients are: aqua, alcohol denat, glcerin, polysorbate 20, carbomer, triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis, Imidazolidinyl urea, parfum, iodopropynl butylcarbamate, benzophenone-4, ci 19140, ci 42090.
rallybunny
rallybunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 am

rallybunny wrote:I have this - already. Do you think there are too many nasty additives in it?

Ingredients are: aqua, alcohol denat, glcerin, polysorbate 20, carbomer, triethanolamine, Aloe Barbadensis, Imidazolidinyl urea, parfum, iodopropynl butylcarbamate, benzophenone-4, ci 19140, ci 42090.

I try to avoid using anything with alcohol or perfume in

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:30 pm

OOo I am glad I saw this thread. Rory has poorley feet and I was wondering what to do about it. I have just bathed them as the looked a bit dry. They are not bleeding but very red and the strange thing is the sores are not on the hocks (heels) where he has had them before but in the middle of his feet. Is this because his heels were so so he has compensated by using a different part of the foot I wonder.
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by racheld69 Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:07 pm

i use sudocrem as well as aloe vera gel.
racheld69
racheld69
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:39 pm

Tracyuk wrote:OOo I am glad I saw this thread. Rory has poorley feet and I was wondering what to do about it. I have just bathed them as the looked a bit dry. They are not bleeding but very red and the strange thing is the sores are not on the hocks (heels) where he has had them before but in the middle of his feet. Is this because his heels were so so he has compensated by using a different part of the foot I wonder.

That is a possibility. Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of a hip/spine problem. So whilst its obviously important to treat the sore hocks is also important to try to establish if there is a skeletal problem else-where.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracyuk Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Oh, I hope not but thanks Jane, I will keep an eye on him.
Tracyuk
Tracyuk
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1335
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maizey Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Please could you tell me at which point in treating a sore hock would you start using flamazine opposed to sudocream of aloe vera gel?
Maizey
Maizey
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down