Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescuers, what is the true cost....?

+5
Jay
Snowy
Rice
Babybunnies4
Laura
9 posters

Go down

Rescuers, what is the true cost....? Empty Rescuers, what is the true cost....?

Post by Laura Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 pm

I know that rescues call for a basic donation when bunnehs are adopted but I'm wondering what the real cost of caring for a bunny really is?

Say a litter of babies is bought to you that you have to nurture until they are old enough to be neutered/speyed, vaccinate, etc? What that not come to a lot more than the required donation?

I'd like to know so that I can donate a realistic amount when the time comes.
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2356
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Rescuers, what is the true cost....? Empty Re: Rescuers, what is the true cost....?

Post by Babybunnies4 Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Not a rescue being nosey, sorry! Embarassed Laughing
I would imagine its loads more than is asked, even if some bunnies come in not needing anything done the poorly ones must outweigh them?
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Rescuers, what is the true cost....? Empty Re: Rescuers, what is the true cost....?

Post by Rice Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm

I would imagine it's way more that the average person would think. You've got the spay/neuter, vaccinations, cost of food while they're there, toys while at rescue, etc. Plus you've got the rescuers time that's been spent on these rescued animals, which is priceless in my opinion!

So Laura, I hope you save up a lot! Shocked Laughing Only kidding, but I bet if you consider everything the animal receives while it's in a rescuers care it adds up!
Rice
Rice
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2718
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 pm

That's a difficult one, because I would have the neutering cost, Myxo Vacc's and VHD Vacc's, Panacur treatment, then there's medication if needed for things like bloat, stasis and if they have dental problems that can be quite costly, that's before general things like food, hay, herbs and veggies.

I took in Willow and her bill for the first 8 weeks was £517, she was very poorly, all bunnies differ,

Sorry not a lot of help am I!! Embarassed
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:05 pm

Snowy wrote:That's a difficult one, because I would have the neutering cost, Myxo Vacc's and VHD Vacc's, Panacur treatment, then there's medication if needed for things like bloat, stasis and if they have dental problems that can be quite costly, that's before general things like food, hay, herbs and veggies.

I took in Willow and her bill for the first 8 weeks was £517, she was very poorly, all bunnies differ,

Sorry not a lot of help am I!! Embarassed

Laughing at least you tried! okay, how about this - if you had a baby bun with no health issues, that you had neutered or speyed, vaccinated and Panacur'ed, what would that total of that be, for instance? i can kind of guess for food. my guesstimate would have been around £150. am i wrong? right? do i win a prize?! Laughing

poor Willow. Sad see, if i was to take Willow, I'd want to donate the same amount that it took to care for her, if that makes sense?

when people adopt, do they generally give you the set donation or do you ever recieve more?

gosh, i'm nosey today, sorry! Wave
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:11 pm

Speyed, 2 x vaccs and panacured around £75

No, we never get the true cost, and some people are so mean they won't even give the basic £35, a couple of people have given a few pounds extra but not many.

As for Willow, I only collected her for member on another forum Rolling Eyes she said she would pay all vets bills, she never collected the rabbit and she left the forum Shocked Rolling Eyes
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Snowy wrote:Speyed, 2 x vaccs and panacured around £75

No, we never get the true cost, and some people are so mean they won't even give the basic £35, a couple of people have given a few pounds extra but not many.

As for Willow, I only collected her for member on another forum Rolling Eyes she said she would pay all vets bills, she never collected the rabbit and she left the forum Shocked Rolling Eyes

Nice Rolling Eyes not, some people...
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:43 pm

i remember you saying about Willow t'other day, i don't think i was around then so missed it totally. stupid cow, whoever it was. i hope she got a really bad bout of thrush or something!

it's such a shame that people are so mean Sad and don't realise the real cost of caring for the animals they adopt.
Laura
Laura
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by sally1974 Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:51 pm

I really dont thionk some people realise just how much it costs to look after rabbits. I admire rescue's so much
Sallyx

sally1974
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1419

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:22 pm

When I was running a rescue I couldn't afford to vaccinate because the deficit between the adoption fee and the cost of neutering and other vet treatment was too great.

The largest single bills vet fee wise I can recall for rabbits who did go on to be adopted was a £180 bill for bloat & enteritis and a £100 bill for incisor removal but I was very lucky to not have a huge amount of sick rabbits. Many of them had other issues such as Pasteurella and Molar spurs which cost approx. £30 and £60 respectively to fix.

I used to charge £30 per rabbit and pay out £65 a spey and £40 a castrate plus a few pence on Panacuring (bulk buying) but of course there is food and bedding on top of that too.

I was once given £30 with a rabbit I took in and the biggest adoption fee I received was for £150. I would say that was the only rabbit we didn't have a deficit on!
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlights Rabbit Rescue Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:37 am

On a bun with no probs whatsoever about £42.50 being speyed and vacc for mxyi. Ive never recieved more than my set adoption fee, the most i got given for taking in a bun was £50, she was such a lovely woman bless her, was in tears by the time she left Sad The most ive had to spend in vet fees on one bun (ive only been open since December) is prob about £170.
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Starlights Rabbit Rescue
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-07-15

http://www.freewebs.com/starlightsrabbitrescue

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:09 am

God, some people.... I paid £35 pounds donation for Truffles, and signed up to sponsor a cat. Surely if you can't afford to make the donation, you can't afford to keep the bun?

Tibbler's spey came to around £60, which hurt a little. I honestly don't see how rescues manage - even the basic non-bunny overheads must be prohibitively expensive these days. But on the other hand, thank god they do!
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down