Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sandpit for the bunnies?

+2
Lottie
Kate7590
6 posters

Go down

sandpit for the bunnies? Empty sandpit for the bunnies?

Post by Kate7590 Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 am

Yesterday I bought one of those shell sandpit/ paddling pools for the dogs to paddle around in to keep themselves cool.
Obviously now Iv got the other half of the shell not being used so thought I could but some sand and give the rabbits a big sandpit...what do you think?
They have got a VERY large run so this sandpit wont be taking up lots of space or anything.

Any ideas welcome Smile
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

sandpit for the bunnies? Empty Re: sandpit for the bunnies?

Post by Lottie Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:27 am

Rabbits love sand, I often take mine to the beach when it's not too hot.

I think you'd be better off buying playsand or aragonite sad rather than taking sand from outside though, to make sure it's safe.

You could mix it with soil to give it more thickness to burrow in too.
Just make sure the soil doens't have any bugs or those chemical pellets to kill garden slugs in it, that can't be good.

Your buns might enjoy peeing in it though so it will probably end up smelly.
Lottie
Lottie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2010-01-05

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkyfactory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 pm

It would be good to use as a dig box, which is a great toy for rabbits, but I would not put sand in it.

Wood chip or soil would be a better idea, sand is very fine and can end up in their eyes/nose and ears where it may cause problems.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:11 pm

would the wood chips you can get at b and q be okay to use?
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Depends on the type/brand. I bought mine in Focus, there was four types and only one said "no chemicals" so i bought that one, so i would look for one the same.

I wouldnt use sand either. Mine have a dog box of soil and a pile of woodchips and they absolutely love it - well they dont have it right now as its been such horrible weather but once its sunny again without the rain it will be back! x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Sooz wrote:It would be good to use as a dig box, which is a great toy for rabbits, but I would not put sand in it.

Wood chip or soil would be a better idea, sand is very fine and can end up in their eyes/nose and ears where it may cause problems.

This ^

Mine love to roll and dig in things and ive recently revamped their run to make it as natural as possible (I can add pictures if you think it could give you some ideas?)

I asked the same question on another forum and i was told sand isnt all that safe, especially childrens play sand. I think if you stick with what your bunny would naturally play and dig in, you cant go far wrong. I now have soil and bark chips in my run, they dont use it for binkying as its not quite big enough for super sonic nethie speeds but they love exploring and rolling, digging, flopping etc its great to watch Wave

We want pictures when your done!! Very Happy
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 am

I use to use a hooded cat litter as a digging box I just took the cat flap off the door and filled it with straw and the rabbit's use to love it, they would go inside and bury themselves in the straw, I also use to hide treats in the straw so they would be in the box for ages looking for the treats Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate7590 Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:36 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
Sooz wrote:It would be good to use as a dig box, which is a great toy for rabbits, but I would not put sand in it.

This ^

Mine love to roll and dig in things and ive recently revamped their run to make it as natural as possible (I can add pictures if you think it could give you some ideas?)

I asked the same question on another forum and i was told sand isnt all that safe, especially childrens play sand. I think if you stick with what your bunny would naturally play and dig in, you cant go far wrong. I now have soil and bark chips in my run, they dont use it for binkying as its not quite big enough for super sonic nethie speeds but they love exploring and rolling, digging, flopping etc its great to watch Wave

We want pictures when your done!! Very Happy

Pictures would be great!!
Kate7590
Kate7590
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down