Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE"

+7
lizzi_b
Ruffin
woodwench
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
Thumper2001
marleyNfriends
11 posters

Go down

Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE" Empty Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE"

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:32 pm

There is a small animal farm/B&B near me called "Bunny Land". I sent them a letter re small hutches and i feel awful, because its actually now under new management.

The previous owners left the place in a mess. Rabbits and guinea pigs were being over bred and sold for profit, many of them have had to be put down and a lot of them have had bad prolapses and other health problems. The accomodation is far from ideal, the hutches are tiny and the family have been left with vet bills going into the £1000s.

I want to help, but not sure how to. Has anyone got any fundraising ideas? Id love to make something to sell, but im not creative or artistic in any way shape or form.

Any other ways in which i can help would be much apreciated. Im thinking of putting a box of forage together and some of my old things for a start. Also thinking of having a collection of old/unused items and things which may be useful. I know its not enough though.

The rabbits and guinea pigs that are left will be rehomed when they are fit enough too. Im waiting to hear back from the owners, and should be able to give more information, but please let me know if you can help.

Last edited by marleyNfriends on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE" Empty Re: Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE"

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm not particularly arty myself but I took part in a fund raising event for a local rare breeds farm that was threaned with closure by our wonderful local city council Rolling Eyes We did quite a lot of things but they became a registered charity and I'm not sure if you have to be to pull off the things we did.

I will need to give it some thought.....

Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE" Empty Re: Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE"

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:I'm not particularly arty myself but I took part in a fund raising event for a local rare breeds farm that was threaned with closure by our wonderful local city council Rolling Eyes We did quite a lot of things but they became a registered charity and I'm not sure if you have to be to pull off the things we did.

Im intrigued, even if i cant do them. What did you "pull off"? Shocked Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:51 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:I'm not particularly arty myself but I took part in a fund raising event for a local rare breeds farm that was threaned with closure by our wonderful local city council Rolling Eyes We did quite a lot of things but they became a registered charity and I'm not sure if you have to be to pull off the things we did.

Im intrigued, even if i cant do them. What did you "pull off"? Shocked Laughing
Pretty much begging Embarassed lol! Rattled tins in the city centre, begged for money from people at work, convinced a printing company to print off some calendars for us to sell, we even managed to get some branded tshirts printed. We somehow managed to get the rent on the place paid for a year, I forget how though.

It was desperate times, the council really were going to close the place, it would have left a whole heap of animals with nowhere to go.

The fight with the council went on for pretty much a year, it was horrible Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:14 am

im useless with ideas but I hope that something can be done to help.

Let us know if you come up with something I can help with.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:41 pm

I to do not have an artistic bone in my body but if anyone comes up with something for this lovely cause, please let me know and I will do all I can.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 pm

You could go the route of Everyday Fundraising... you know, sponsored walks, car boot sale or garage sale, cake stall, pub quiz, photo show, sponsored leg wax (for the men!), sponsored cycle rides... even sponsored skipping! Maybe getting local pet shops on board could help... hey Burgess are always a good try.
Just check the legal side before "shaking the can" or holding a raffle.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 pm

[b]sponsored leg wax (for the men!), ouccchhh We once had a duck race when I was fund raising for the local scouts was a great way to raise money the kids and adults loved it and the local water board lent us the ducks and advised us on the best place to set them off from
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 pm

That leg wax for men... could get sponsored extra for a chest wax too!!!!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 pm

[b]Chest Wax now that does sound megga oooccchhhhh Laughing
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I love the idea of a duck race - when I have entered these before,my duck always swims straight to the bank and stays there LOL!!

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:10 pm

how about making some cute sock bunny's like they made at the HH meet?! they were well cute!!! you could do a make a bunny kinda thing... just an idea. Im big on arty creative things but its hard to do things that aren't going to cost you too much in the 1st place! where is this place? anywhere near the west country? if so i'd be more than happy to come and help!!! Very Happy
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm

hey hun, I could send you 2 tickets to our mma show worth £25 each, its quite big in the uk and can get you a bit money in if you raffle them off, if your interested inbox me x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 am

Ruffin wrote:[b]Chest Wax now that does sound megga oooccchhhhh Laughing

Mike has done that for a rabbit rescue but said he would never do it again, his poor legs and chest were bright red for ages after Laughing

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:13 am

Hi.

Its a little late, so its just a quick post. I havent managed to read everything yet but ive recently found out that the people who bought bunny land actually bought the rabbits and everything as a business.

So is it right that i raise funds for them when they had a good idea what they were entering into? I know they wanted the B&B and camping facilities, but surely they must have realised that the sheer number and condition of rabbits before they bought the place? Am i being unreasonable now? I mean, they havent even contacted local media to appeal for help. Something just doesnt add up. Hmmm

4390evans, and anyone else who may have offered a generous donation...would you be willing to sell them and donate the money to Barnsley Animal Rescue? If i cant help the buns at BL then im still going to try putting some things together for BARC, and possibly raising a small amount of money.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 am

woodwench wrote:That leg wax for men... could get sponsored extra for a chest wax too!!!!
Count me in - do I get back crack n' sac too? Shocked Wink
marleyNfriends wrote:Hi.

Its a little late, so its just a quick post. I havent managed to read everything yet but ive recently found out that the people who bought bunny land actually bought the rabbits and everything as a business.

So is it right that i raise funds for them when they had a good idea what they were entering into? I know they wanted the B&B and camping facilities, but surely they must have realised that the sheer number and condition of rabbits before they bought the place? Am i being unreasonable now? I mean, they havent even contacted local media to appeal for help. Something just doesnt add up. Hmmm .

Then you need to find out for sure, and decide then. If they are running a business, they could well see you as golden ticket, don't let yourself be taken advantage of. If you are concerned about the welfare of the animals, you could contact the council or welfare agency. Let us know what happens
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Yes, I quite agree, find out more about them. I will be happy to send a donation every so often, but unfortunately I am on a strict budget and it wont be very much at one time. Oh dear, there are so many needing help, I wish I could win the lottery.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Ill keep everyone informed.

My last email to her was along the lines of how many rabbits and guinea pigs she has in her care, if they have appealed for any help or contacted the local RSPCA (you would have thought this would have been one of the first things they did if they have so many animals in such a sad state! - but who am i to judge?) and if they currently have a rehoming policy in place.

I also explained my conntections with a couple of pro rescue forums, and how i may be able to rally around, even if its just a few odds and sods to help her out. I also mentioned rabbit rehome, and the rehoming sections on the forums AND an offer of 3 5ft hutches that are on offer to someone in desperate need.

I havent heard back, maybe she hasnt checked her emails, but its a bit strange.

If and when i hear something though, ill let you know.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 pm

ill sort something out and send a cheque down inbox me your address hun x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Josie Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I actually bought a baby bun from bunnyland years and years ago, i mean about 1998 Shocked

I was totally clueless about rabbits but me and hubby were out for a drive and came across this place, before we knew it we were owners of a 8week old bun which they gave us in a cardboard box Shocked

We had no hutch or knowledge (stupid i know dont slate me) about buns but on way home we went to pets at home and bought everything we needed.

We named him Starsky and he was the most loving bunny you could wish for Love

He was a dwarf lop, fawn and white.

He slept in his hutch but came indoors every night, jumped on our laps, laid infront of tv, curled up around our neck and nudged us then ran to the door if he wanted to go to the loo Shocked

He was by far the most amazing bunny ive ever known Love we loved him so much....

He was fully vaccinated even then but he was always at vets because of his teeth/tear ducts.

Unfortunately he left us before he was a year old Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I couldnt have another bun and got rid of everything as i was distraught!

I only got another bun, Flopsy, when my son was 7 years old and developed transient tics, he needed something to focus on and i really wanted another bun.

Flopsy so helped Jack with his tics and thankfully he's still with us Very Happy

Sorry ive totally took over your thread Embarassed and waffled on so so much but it really brought memories back of my little Starskey Love

My first ever bunny Love Love
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

I too will send something as soon as I can love.

You are doing a great job.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 pm

ive advertised on my fb page some stuff clothes shoes etc I have for sale, and they all putting the payments into a paypal account just for the bunnys. So once everything sold ill send a cheque down xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:24 pm

That is a great idea 4390evans. Well done.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Help with fundraising ideas - please see "IMPORTANT UPDATE" Empty IMPORTANT UPDATE

Post by marleyNfriends Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi There!
First of all, thank you all for much for your kindness and generous offers! Some of them are quite overwhelming and i wasnt expecting such a response. Im not sure some of you have read my previous post though, and think its important you are all aware.

The family who have taken on BL are running a B&B and camp site. They bought the business knowing the rabbits were there and in with the deal. It would be impossible for the owners to have bought the business without realising what kind of condition the rabbits and guinea pigs are in. I have been waiting to hear from the owners for over a week now, and although i can apreciate they may be busy, anyone with so many rabbits and guinea pigs to care for and rehome would not pass up on the offer of help.

I will call them when i get chance, however i would want to know that there is a rehoming policy in place, and would want to know that they are not making profits out of these rabbits, especially if they are being rehomed without been vaccinated/neutered/spayed.

Anyone wishing to help/donate, can they please send me a PM so i can get a rough idea of whats what and how much money/items have been collected.

If i cannot get hold of Carol, and you wish to donate, Im sure the bunnies and piggise at Barnsley Animal Rescue Centre (BARC) will be very grateful for your donations. But if you have local rescue which you would like to support, then please dont hesitate to send donations their way.

Thanks again for all of your kindness and generosity.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

I wish I could win the lottery then I could help so much.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down