Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sucessful trip to the vets

+3
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
Josie
7 posters

Go down

A sucessful trip to the vets Empty A sucessful trip to the vets

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 am

Bruce and Flo were both due their myxi jabs this morning so we went to the vets with some trepidation - on our last visit 2 weeks ago both rabbits ended up with the dreaded Cylap limp (it is your excellent info on it that led me to join HH). I had spoken to the vet at the time to report the problem but got a bit of a 'well i've never seen it before' repesponse. So I was prepared for a bit of a lengthy discussion about it. Well she was great. Th be fair she does have a particular interest in rabbits so she had obviously done her research. She asked about how long it had taken for them to recover and conceded that most people probably either don't notice a problem or assume a limp is due to a fall or bad landing of a jump. So I asked if I would be able to get Anivac in the future and she said, 'actually we are discussing changing to it anyway' - so she has obviously paid attention to her research. But in anycase they would get it in for me next year. So I was a bit A sucessful trip to the vets Bounce016 about that. Then they agreed to put up the RWAF poster from RO and they are giving away free samples of a new Science selective vetcare plus food which comes in 3 varieties - digestive, obese and urinary tract - and they gave me some of the digestive and obese to try as they are seeing whether their clients like it before stocking it. And the jabs were done no probs, Flo did not do her lets see what high things I can land on trick and even allowed the vet to put the neede in her ear without any fuss (highly unusual).The only downer is that Bruces teeth are just starting to spur again so I give it 3 months max and we will be back for a dental. I really wasn't sure about this vets when I moved to Bodmin but they are coming along quite nicely! A sucessful trip to the vets Bounce016

Back to top Go down

A sucessful trip to the vets Empty Re: A sucessful trip to the vets

Post by Josie Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 am

Its good to find a vet that understand your buns and their needs Thumbs Up Very Happy
Josie
Josie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1574
Registration date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 am

Thought I'd add a bit and say I've tried out the Vetcare plus as a treat for the buns. It is a different looking food as it is in long sticks.

A sucessful trip to the vets P1000183

According to the info on vetuk they are both quite high in fibre although it says it is suitable as a monoforage diet (are they suggesting no hay no veg? hopefully not). It costs £4.45 for 1kg of digestive health and £4.01 for the Weight management! (£4.86 for urinary tract which I wasn't given) Supreme seem to be suggesting 25g per rabbit per day.

Here's the important bit - The rabbits seemed fairly pleased with the digestive health stick, chasing each other for the scrag ends of it. But the were not keen at all on the weight management. Flo took it initially and then after one bite left it behind. When offered again both rabbits had a sniff then declined to take it - not even a chinning. Actually I don't blame them, I gave it a sniff and to my untuned nose it smelt slightly like christmas pudding where as the digestive health smelt a bit like raisins.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Must be such a relief to have a bun savvy vet - they are few and far between!

Sounds like they are going to be fab. cheers

Hmmmm ... worth looking further into the food...I dont think that there should be any substitute for hay really.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm

We are lucky too love, we have a bunny savvy vet at our practise.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I can't help but giggle at Bruce. I left the weight management food whene the buns left it in case they wanted to try it again. The alloted pellet food for the day has been eaten, as has the veg. Bruce has got the evening munchies and he keeps trying the weight management stick but he clearly does not like it. He has a bite then moves away from it then 10 mins later he is back again tkaes another bite then drops it again quickly and most of his mouthful ends up on the floor.

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 pm

What a funny coincidence, i took buttons to the vets for his Myxi jab today too and my vets said they only have that Cylap VHD jab too and gave me the whole, well ive never had any problems with it, so i made sure i printed out the info sheet on it about the effects and that it effects 50% of rabbits etc, she gave me a funny look and went an got the info leaflet that comes in the Cylap box and was shocked to see it said the exact same things i told her, so she is also now ordering me in Anivac, for when Buttons had that in 2 weeks!! Happy Dance I think we all may be finally be getting through to vets!!! (I'm also applying for a job there as a receptionist! so fingers crossed please people!!!) Very Happy
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Hey there, so I might seem a bit dime but can someone explain what happends? ive got roman twinkle and jasper booked int for there injections next week, what my tiny brain can grasp is your saying sometimes there is side affects of the bun limping??? xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:15 pm

There are quite a lot of side effects associated with the VHD injection called Cylap. If you type Cylap or VHD vaccination into the search box at the top right of the page you should be able to get some good information. Bruce is 7 and has had Cylap every year and this is the first year of any side effects. Most buns just get a bit off colour. Others get a limp in the front leg like mine did. There was no pain reaction in the leg it was just a limp. As I understand it it is caused by the mineral oil the vaccination is suspended in leaking down one side of the body. Other rabbits end up with scabby wounds on the entry site - and worse. But the really bad pics I have seen have been when non-vets have given the jab. The good news is that there is a new vaccination out there called Anivac that is not suspended in mineral oil and therefore does not have the problems associated with it. So phone your vet tomorrow and ask them to order it for you. You should not be having the myxi and vhd vacs together anyway - there should be a couple of weeks in between so if you have the vhd injection second it give the vets time to get it in.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:18 am

yeah he said they get one one week and the other 2 weeks later, but while im there today with roman i might see what he says about the Anivac jab thanks for the info cheryl, still learning but want the best if i can get it for them Very Happy x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:54 am

i got a phone call from my vets confirming they will order in anivac for me for buttons jab in 2 weeks! Smile get the vet to read the info that comes with the cylap one, it has all the horrible side effects in there!! thats what convinced my vet!!! Very Happy
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:45 pm

That's brilliant news. Thumbs Up
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil & Ron's Mum Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:38 pm

You had better look than me, we swapped vets last year when I had a fall out with them _long story_(they used lapinject) when I went to our new vets yesterday for their myxi I asked if they could get lapinject or annivac they said 'NO!' so I told them I was going elsewhere for their VHD jab. Rang round all the vets in Barnsley and theres only 2 that don't use Cylap, my old one who I fell out with and another one which I don't know what their like (but I WONT give the one I fell out with the pleasure of my custom! Hey o!)

Lil & Ron's Mum
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 pm

What idiots! How can they say no? I guess at least you will find out who is the best rabbit vets in your area though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down