Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chilli giving birth

+9
Jay
Thumper2001
Josie
fall3n-ang3l
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
Sharky87
FarplaceRescue
4390evans
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

chilli giving birth - Page 2 Empty Re: chilli giving birth

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:13 am

I think it is Jay.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 am

NickieM wrote:I think it is Jay.
Sad I do wish people would think about the consequences of what they do when they let animals breed, it's not just the extra numbers of unwanted animals is it? Heartbreaking, I feel so sad for Chilli, how bloomin traumatic

4390evans wrote:Just got back they are going to do an emergency c-section. Think emma nearly fell through the floor when they told her the price and thats just so far. she doesnt mind but didnt think it would cost so much.

you know, nee the wonder animals die in such agony charging ******* rediculus prices!!!

In fairness, Chilli had this situation put upon her. Your neighbour was willing to pay for the kits to be euthanased, which would have cost a fair bit. Emergency vets are always expensive - they work throughout the night and at week-ends. I'm afraid it's part of the responibility you take on, and it's unaffordable, then insurance is a good idea to cover things like this - as is sterilisation to prevent it in the first place.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 am

I think that this is a case of an accidental litter rather than a planned one. The male has been neutered, but it is a case of too late. Just feel so sorry about the outcome for the doe and kits.

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 am

Sure, i was making a general statement about it, as we don't hear about this sort of thing too often on here, I guess it happens a lot Sad
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 am

I know what you mean. There are loads of people who end up with babies because their rabbits are sexed incorrectly or who just don't realise how quickly they get it on and that the deed is done before you know it!
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 am

Just a quick update, Ive convinced chillis mum to just get her castrated while doing the operation after all whats a extra £70 I know Id do it for mine without thinking. I know she has already been in and had both done (kits removed and spayed) so Ill be going through and picking her up as emma is at work till 8.
you know I felt s sad for her last night I had a bit cry, chilli was one of the origional 5 that I got in the beginning but she kept getting through to next door and many times emma turned found and found her sitting in the kitchen with her, so we decided to give her chilli and a friend to keep her company and for the little girl to play with. I know she is in a loving home, although getting the kits pts makes you think but she came round in the end and was going to pass them on to her relative, tbh I think she thought she was doing the best for them as there isnt many rabbit lovers like us especaly round here, although many like them in the pot (bit backwards where im from) and the way she thought of it was that they would either end up dying in a hutch in cramped spaces or in the pot, so I suppose its turned out better for all. - I know it sounds horrible I just dont know how else to word it- . so hopefully fingers crossed she is fine for me to pic up today and be with her bun mum. Thanks to everyone thats helped. She was going to open an account on here but I think she may be scared of the reactions she may get xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://www.mmatotalcombat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Please give your friend our commiserations. She is not the first person whose rabbit who had an accidental litter. She didn't set out to breed them - it was just a mistake. She would be very welcome to open an account on here and nobody would be nasty to her - that isn't what this forum is about and wouldn't be tolerated by any of us. Hugs Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Oh poor Chilli.

How is she doing this eve? What a horrible time she has had of it.

Your friend is of course welcome here, like Nickie said she isnt the first person this has happened to, and wont be the last.

Horrible isnt allowed here. Smile
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Horrible is banned from here. We would love for her to join. Please tell her we would all like her to join here and we are all sorry for the loss of the kits sending hugs to you and your friend.
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

thanks guys, chilli is doing fine she is on a course of antibiotics for the next few days got her check up on monday. we were a bit scratch on how to sryinge feed her when we got back as it looked abit arkward for the poor thing in the end she was liking it off my finger so I got emma just to give her it off a tea spoon to lap up and tbh I think she enjoys the mush lol
She is recooperating in the bedroom so emma can keep a eye on her during the night then when she is at work ill take over.
Glad im on the sick so I can help

The vets at gilmoor were realy nice went out of their way to help us, couldnt ask for more.

Ill get emma to join eventualy as you have all been a massive help since Ive joined seeing what you have recomended for each other, food hay bedding etc if it wasnt for you's my lot would be on musli sleeping on shavings and prob in a cage to small for them. So thanks everyone xxxxx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 pm

All we want to do is to help. It isn't a contest to see who is the best bunny mum, but a community pulling together and offering support when times are rough.

Chilli is lucky to have the two of you to look after her and hopefully she will make a full recovery and live a really happy life. xx Hugs Hugs Hugs

We look forward to welcoming your friend when she feels ready to join.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:54 pm

thanks hun xx
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:13 am

Oh so glad Chilli is ok but sorry about her kits Sad
Yes tell your friend Emma to join as she will enjoy it on here as it's a really lovely friendly forum, we are like one big happy Family Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:18 am

To be fair, you yourself made a fairly damning thread about Emma's response to the kits arrival. You were outraged and upset, understandably, and so were we, understandably.

We are not a horrid forum, we are respctful and try to understand and help when things go wrong. As this whole issue has been relayed to us, we have only had your input.

Emma is very welcome here, she's a bunny owner Smile and we will do as we always do, and welcome and help, so please don't worry about that. But I hope you can see that our response was only down to what we were told at the time.

The situation came to a horrible conclusion that nobody would wish on any owner or rabbit, and Chilli won't have to go through that again, so i hope we can help Emma help Chili to have a better life Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 pm

yeah most i agree we have had some arguments about what I posted but she knows i was angry bout the initial arangements for the kits. Were just glad the worst parts over with. she knows I feel guilty because I gave her them and angry cos I would have took the kits on no probs at all, but now its all calmed down were fine now. She knows what I write on here cos she reads it when she comes over, but were still mates. Just venting my fury lol x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Kool, glad you're still mates Smile Personally I'm very careful about posting about other people, apart from that they might see it, it can only be a biased point of view.

I bet you both just want to put the whole sorry incident behind you, and that's the best thing to do, but I hope lessons have been learned from it, not just by Emma, but by all of us - breeding (and I know it wasn't deliberate) has dangers to the rabbits. As much as we go on about the rescue numbers etc, this is something that should also be taken into consideration.
One of my local rescues used to breed (before they were a rescue) and stopped because they lost their original pet rabbit to exactly this scenario.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:05 pm

How is Chilli doing?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:43 pm

yeah I agree jay, I do get carried away when im on a rant lol

she is doing fine, still on soft mushed pellets and taking her meds very well must taste nice, smells nice i know that lol.
she is still sitting in her box she got out this morning when she was dropped off then just sat there, dont think she could get back in even though its only its only a inch step. must be in so much pain. She has this powder to go in her water which I hope she drinks as its only for today 50mls.
she is still sitting sleeping etc in one spot must be sore to move but we will get there, she is staying at mine tonight as her bun mum is on days her gf is on nights so ive offered my assistace while she is out. Just worried im becoming to attached lol x
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Its not right that she should be in pain hun I dont think. Have the vets given her any pain killer at all?

Id make sure she is nice and snugly warm. No wood shavings as they could get into her wound....a nice soft blankey would be best.

Glad you are taking special care of her.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm

i dunno if she is on painkillers,ill look on the label in a bit see what it is im giving her, she has drank her powder booster stuff.
I recon ill get emma to take her to the vets tomorrow if they are not pain killers as she stretched today and looked like it hurt. The wound it pretty bad like!
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Really? That doesnt sound right to me hun.

I hope she is okay bless her.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:35 pm

After Hazel had her spey she was in a bit of pain and sat with her sides sucked in all hunched up. Does she look like this?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 4390evans Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:51 pm

yeah she did but she is calling me a liar now, cos I just took her out to clean here cage and she hopped straight for the dog. Think she has had us going like!!! scratch

Happy she is up as this is the first time she has propper been out. cheers

The meds she is on is baytril. anyone had theres on this?? just wonder what it is? scratch
4390evans
4390evans
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Baytril is broad spectrum antibiotic.

Glad she is feeling a little better. Rabbits do tend to recover from their operations fairly quickly and you can't really compare it to human hysterectomy. Both operations are done completely differently with human procedure involving cutting horizontally through muscle tissue which is why it takes so long to recover. In rabbits, the incision is made vertically in between the muscle tissue, so the recovery is much quickly and easier.

Your bunny will most likely have been given a pain killing injection which will last 24 hours when she came round from the operation. If she is eating and moving about, chances are, she isn't in any pain and is on the road to recovery. You need to watch that she is pooing, peeing and eating.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:26 pm

As Nickie said Baytril is antibiotic and if you have small animals it is the most common medication you will probably be given. It often seems to be the vets reflex action. The most common painkiller you are likely to come across is metacam which is often used in gut stasis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next