Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After spaying - how long before going back with male?

3 posters

Go down

After spaying - how long before going back with male? Empty After spaying - how long before going back with male?

Post by jo-pop Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:38 pm

So i have a 3 yr old neutered male and a 6 mth old female. They have always got along wonderfully until the last few days when he has been chasing and nipping her back end. Yesterday he had drawn a little blood Sad
She was booked in for a spay next week so I have brought it forward and she is being done today as i think the problem is probably that she has reached maturity and may have a different scent which is affecting him.

I have arrange seperate living space for them but rightnext to each other so they can smell and touch (just about) is this a good idea or not? How long should i wait before they go back together?
Normally they get on great until last few days. He never mounts her, just chasing and nipping of late. Its always him who starts it.

Can you offer any advice on what to do going forward please?
jo-pop
jo-pop
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

After spaying - how long before going back with male? Empty Re: After spaying - how long before going back with male?

Post by dizzylynn Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:54 pm

I think its 6 weeks possible 8 weeks, males are 6 but females might be wee bit longer, but I might be wrong.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

After spaying - how long before going back with male? Empty Re: After spaying - how long before going back with male?

Post by NickieM Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:58 pm

I usually keep any does on bed rest for a week or so after their spay. I have a hutch that I bring into the back porch so they are rested before going outside.

I would also try to introduce them again when she is recovered on neutral territory (like a bathroom) just to make sure that everything is OK. She will have reached sexual maturity so that is maybe why he is reacting the way he is. You need to make sure that the dominance order hasn't been affected by the operation. Take it slowly and I am sure it will be OK.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down