Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

slightly odd poos

+3
Dotdot
SarahJane
Jay
7 posters

Go down

slightly odd poos Empty slightly odd poos

Post by Jay Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 pm

for the last 3 weeks or so, and not every day, the bear has been producing these very crumbly dry poops, as well as his normal ones, which are fine and 'healthy'. Other weird thing is that he eats some of them, which indicates (to me) that these could be dry caecotrophs. They look like a good poo pellet when you crush them and it's all like dry grass inside them, which is nothing like a caecotroph, so I'm a bit scratch

It's a bit odd, and I've never seen it before - any ideas befor I take him for a check up?

Thanks Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

slightly odd poos Empty Re: slightly odd poos

Post by SarahJane Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Mine are doing this too! They are normal shaped but they just crumble and often I go into the shed and theres just..dust everywhere where they have just crumbled into nothing. and inside its all grassy!

It might not be the same but I have found them to look very odd!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:26 pm

I have found the odd dusty poo but I don't think they've been eating them scratch
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Jay wrote:for the last 3 weeks or so, and not every day, the bear has been producing these very crumbly dry poops, as well as his normal ones, which are fine and 'healthy'. Other weird thing is that he eats some of them, which indicates (to me) that these could be dry caecotrophs. They look like a good poo pellet when you crush them and it's all like dry grass inside them, which is nothing like a caecotroph, so I'm a bit scratch

It's a bit odd, and I've never seen it before - any ideas befor I take him for a check up?

Thanks Smile

Is he drinking enough water Jay as it sounds like poops that a dehydrated bunny does scratch
Or now reading the bit about 'dry grass inside'them he may just be eating a lot of hay but if you are worried just syringe feed about 10mls of water into his mouth.

Last edited by Tuckerbunnies on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Mmm, I wondered if it was hydration issue, stewie doesn't drink a lot, but he does wee a lot, if that helps...but he does eat alot of fresh forrage and all his food is washed, so I figured he's getting enough water - maybe not.

Is it possible a UTI could be an issue?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Jay wrote:Mmm, I wondered if it was hydration issue, stewie doesn't drink a lot, but he does wee a lot, if that helps...but he does eat alot of fresh forrage and all his food is washed, so I figured he's getting enough water - maybe not.

Is it possible a UTI could be an issue?

Is his wee smelly at all or chalky , if not I'd try syringing the water into him first and see how he goes on.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:
Jay wrote:for the last 3 weeks or so, and not every day, the bear has been producing these very crumbly dry poops, as well as his normal ones, which are fine and 'healthy'. Other weird thing is that he eats some of them, which indicates (to me) that these could be dry caecotrophs. They look like a good poo pellet when you crush them and it's all like dry grass inside them, which is nothing like a caecotroph, so I'm a bit scratch

Thanks Smile

Is he drinking enough water Jay as it sounds like poops that a dehydrated bunny does scratch
Or now reading the bit about 'dry grass inside'them he may just be eating a lot of hay but if you are worried just syringe feed about 10mls of water into his mouth.

should I do this daily, and for a few days, and if there's no change, go to vet?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Is his wee smelly at all or chalky , if not I'd try syringing the water into him first and see how he goes on.

no, will try the water thing for a few days, thanks Smile
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Jay wrote:
Tuckerbunnies wrote:

Thanks Smile

should I do this daily, and for a few days, and if there's no change, go to vet?

Yes do it for a couple of days because if he is dehydrated after a few syringes of water his poops should get back to normal if there is no change and you are still worried then I would contact a vet. Usually if they have a UTI their wee is strong smelling.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Hmmm, this is interesting because I took their bottle away a week ago because now they are using their bowl 90% of the time and they all seemed to prefer it and I kept the bottle in addition to the bowl for a month in case they got confused.

Maybe one of them isnt drinking as much and prefers the bottle. Blimmin buns! ill give them both!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:10 pm

SarahJane wrote:Hmmm, this is interesting because I took their bottle away a week ago because now they are using their bowl 90% of the time and they all seemed to prefer it and I kept the bottle in addition to the bowl for a month in case they got confused.

Maybe one of them isnt drinking as much and prefers the bottle. Blimmin buns! ill give them both!

We always give our buns both, bottle and bowl to be on the safe side Smile

Plus dental buns can't always drink out of a bunny bottle comfortably but they can out of a bowl and will.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I thought id keep them with both but i was sure none of them were drinking out of the bottle anymore. Sneaky buns!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ones Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:33 pm

fine! so fine!slightly odd poos 17

1ones
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:36 pm

I have both bottle and bowl Smile
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 pm

I wonder if it's partly seasonal as well, temperature drops, less water intake to cool down?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm

I can't help with the crumbly poo I'm afraid but IMO i wouldn't be too concerned about him eating his 'regular' poo. Thumper often does this, she always has Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:56 am

Thumper2001 wrote:I can't help with the crumbly poo I'm afraid but IMO i wouldn't be too concerned about him eating his 'regular' poo. Thumper often does this, she always has Smile

Thanks, but as I'm sure you'll agree, any change to the 'norm' is something that should be paid attention to, and he's never done this before, or produced theses types of poo, so I'm naturally on guard!

I spoke to anne about it this morning, and she thought it perfectly reasonable that water intake could reduce as the weather cools, which may have caused less hydration. I'm gonna up the washed herbs and greens, and syringe him each day for a week and see if that stops it. If it does, then I'll just syringe on a 'need to hydrate' basis, whenver I see these crumbly poos.

Thanks for you help Hoppers, will let you know how we go Wave
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:56 am

Jay wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:I can't help with the crumbly poo I'm afraid but IMO i wouldn't be too concerned about him eating his 'regular' poo. Thumper often does this, she always has Smile

Thanks, but as I'm sure you'll agree, any change to the 'norm' is something that should be paid attention to, and he's never done this before, or produced theses types of poo, so I'm naturally on guard!

:
Fair point Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:23 pm

I hope the syringing helps!! I only have a bottle for Buttons because if i put out a bowl he just sits and nudges it till its all spilt on the floor!! Rolling Eyes Oddly, Buttons seems to be drinking more as the weather drops!!! scratch
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:13 pm

^^ as we all know, they are all bloomin different Rolling Eyes It's what makes it so hard to look after them Laughing

Stewie won't touch a bottle, Bertie wouldn't either - maybe it's got somethihnt odo with the shape of the head and mouth of different breeds scratch
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Any poo improvement, Jay?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:45 am

Thumper2001 wrote:Any poo improvement, Jay?

Yup Smile Haven't seen any more since we started giving water. I'm going to up the veg.herbs. grass and make sure it has lots of water on it, and I've been giving him Pro biotics as well.

Thanks for your help Hoppers Very Happy
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Jay wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:Any poo improvement, Jay?

Yup Smile Haven't seen any more since we started giving water. I'm going to up the veg.herbs. grass and make sure it has lots of water on it, and I've been giving him Pro biotics as well.

Thanks for your help Hoppers Very Happy
Yay! cheers
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:49 pm

That's brilliant news Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies