Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single house bunny

3 posters

Go down

Single house bunny Empty Single house bunny

Post by Karen1980 Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:45 am

Hello!

Just thought I would ask a question, Milo is a single house bunny and not sure if we should find him a friend?

We had Lily as a single house bunny but she was more relaxed and less into things and wanted cuddles more.

Milo is independant and bouncy bets describes him.

He went for bonding on Saturday and she ripped him to pieces big chunks of fur it was awful.

He's the most innocent trusting bunny ive ever met, he's very stuipid and just wants to be friends.

He has fixed his weeing problem and now has full run of the house at night as he doesnt chew.

Any ideas to determine if he's lonely?

I feel deep down he might be as he's a bit of a loner and often sits on the stairs on his own.

Not sure what to do for the best for him?
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2008-08-07

http://www.myspace.com/newzealandbunnylover

Back to top Go down

Single house bunny Empty Re: Single house bunny

Post by Jay Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 am

Poor Milo - hope he's ok after the scrap Sad

It's a tricky one really. I spent the majority of Bertie's life fretting over this, when he was actually perfectly happy here.

I'm doing the same, to a lesser extent with Stewie, but I think each bun needs to be assessed individually.

I spole to Anne about this (re: Stewie) at length, and she said that it would be unlikley that he'd accept another bun here now, and it may cause more upset than solve a problem. She also said that the mantra of every bunny should have a partner is neither always true, or applicable - and a rabbit that is living in the home as part of the family, with company and interacton is not 'suffering', and is far better here than in either a hutch outside or in a rescue - so from a welfare POV, he's better off with you.

I also spoke to the rescue that gave us him a couple of weeks ago, and she said that he was one of only a few buns that she recommended liveas a single house bun, becuase he's too into people, and bullies other rabbits.

I'm still not sure though.

I don't know of a way to determine lonliness, but if he isn't very interractive with you, it may be that he would, or wouldn't be with another bunny. He may be a loner, he may be lonely...

If he gets plenty of attention from you, then you are in some way fulflling his social needs.

You could try more bonds, just becuase this one didn't work out doesn't mean another won't, but you may have a potential problem when you bring the new bun home. The bonus of going to a rescue is that you can return the new bun if things don't work out.

Sorry I can't be more definitive, just really passing on what I've been thinking/talking about too.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtek85 Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 am

Hi
Take at look at my thread "Violent bunny towards new arrival" in the Infirmary. Sounds a lot like what we are going through/went through with Radar and Splash.
Generally speaking, we thought he was lonely before we got Splash, but it turns out he's just like that anyway. He's fairly independent and prefers his own company 70% of the time. However last night, for the first time since we got her, he licked her nose through the bars. Considering he tried to tear out her throat last weekend I find this a positive step Very Happy
Bob

Last edited by bobtek85 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extended text)
bobtek85
bobtek85
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 am

Karen, rabbiting on did a article in the winter 08 issue on being a human companion to a single rabbit to make sure they get all the interaction they need. Like Jay said, just because this bond did not go well doesn't mean another won't, or he might just take time to accept another bun. I know I have said this a lot on here but I will say it again - It took Bruce and Flo 6 months of daily attempts to get them bonded. I am sure it wouldn't take that long for you but I am very sceptical of these weekend bondings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen1980 Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks guys, he's always into trouble and bouncing around somewhere.

I had Lily as a lone bunny and we were companions.

I guess in a way im looking to bond him with another bunster so that I dont get so attached to him if thats makes sesne?

Its the second time we've tried bonding the first time was kind of a success but the girly looked like she wasnt very into him, he was obsessed but she didnt seem too bothered either way.

a good match for him would be a bunster thats into trouble like him, ive done a couple of bonds before on bunnies ive known so have known temperements etc before hand if that makes sesne? to be able to know they'll be good relationships.

The bunny at the weekend she attacked him and he had been licking her face.

He's a real licky bunny and constantly grooms me bless him..
Karen1980
Karen1980
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2008-08-07

http://www.myspace.com/newzealandbunnylover

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:51 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Karen, rabbiting on did a article in the winter 08 issue on being a human companion to a single rabbit to make sure they get all the interaction they need. Like Jay said, just because this bond did not go well doesn't mean another won't, or he might just take time to accept another bun. I know I have said this a lot on here but I will say it again - It took Bruce and Flo 6 months of daily attempts to get them bonded. I am sure it wouldn't take that long for you but I am very sceptical of these weekend bondings.

I think as an introduction to see if the bond is possible, they have validity, but I agree with you essentially. Whan we filmed Brian & Mindy's bond, it wasn't a fĂȘte accompli, but they showed enough positive signs for them to continue at home. and thankfully all worked well.

It can take that long, but sometimes buns just walk straight into it,so i don't think there can be any sort of template, it's down to the buns as much as anything!

It's worth remebering that bonds are not 'real' in the natural rabbit world, but are partly our interpretation of a rabbit that wants to spend some time with another bunny, and given the limited space we offer most rabbits, this becomes an act of pleasant toleration. It lasts a lifetime, usually because there is no other rabbit to hop off onto. If we could give a group of domerstic buns a firld to live in, it's unlikley there would be any fighting, and the groups would pair off, and those pairings would be volatile, as the males move around the females in the group.

There is a potential problem with house buns that have had the house and owners to themselves for a prolonged period, that shouldn't be overlooked, but I believe that rabbits should be given the opportunity, if they seem bored, unhappy, non-interactive, and not interested in their owners, extensively.

I do believe that Stewie would be very upset and territorial if we brought another bun into his home, but that said, it is not impossible, and by de-scenting the balcony, getting a new hutch and fence etc, it could work outside, with time then to introduce inside, gradually. For this reason, I've put off any ideas about it until the spring, when the weather becomes warmer and would allow this to happen, but I'm not gonna force it, I'm listening to what the experts say, and monitering his behaviour towards us.

Cherly, do you still have that 08 copy? I'd be interested if you could just bite size it for us?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down