Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccinations query

+8
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
marleyNfriends
Thumper2001
icedancer
Dotdot
Big Ears
lizzi_b
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vaccinations query Empty Vaccinations query

Post by lizzi_b Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Ok so its nearly time for Buttons' Myxi jab as his vaccinations were 6months ago, but for some reason my vets also do the VHD jab every 6 months too! Does anyone else's vet do this? Last time I queried it they said it is advised to be twice a year like the Mxyi, but I haven't heard this from anywhere else before! I just wanted to check with you all before I go and argue with my vet!!

Also what do I do if they say they only do it twice a year? because they charge the same amount as the yearly one so It's not like I'm paying the same overall!! There isn't any other vets near to me to go to as I already changed to this one because of the other one near me was shocking with rabbits!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Vaccinations query Empty Re: Vaccinations query

Post by Big Ears Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm

It should defintely only be done one a year, no closer than 2 weeks to the myxi vaccination.

There is however a new vaccine coming out in March that is both myxi and VHD all in one - only needs doing once a year. This might remove any need for you to make a big deal of it with your vets, if they swap to this new vaccine, which they probably will.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Only once a year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Mine only have it once a year.

Myxi and VHD have to be done 2 weeks apart don't they? This time last year Tigger had her first jabs they did both on the same day scratch
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:53 pm

That's what I thought!! Where is the best place to print out some info to show the vet? because my vets wouldn't listen to me about the Cylap jab before until I printed out the info about the side effects and only then they would give him Anivac!!

a double jab? has there been much research on this yet? I'm always so scared about trying new things!!
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:16 pm

The Home Check lady was telling me about it ther other day. Apparently millions of pounds have been invested into it, and they've spent three (I think she said three) years on it. She was raving about it, but did say some "old rabbit folk" were really anti it.

I meant to do a thread on it after she left but I was too excited then forgot Embarassed

But here yes it's only yearly for VHD. Florences Myxi runs out in March, so I'm hoping by the time September comes along which will be her VHD and other Myxi, the one jab will be embedded in.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm

lizzi_b wrote:
a double jab? has there been much research on this yet? I'm always so scared about trying new things!!
I've read some bits and pieces about it and most people seem to be really positive about it Smile

ETA, Thumper was only given the VHD yearly too. Sorry, I can't provide any links.... Have you had a look on th RWAF site?

ETA2, Yep, there's a PDF on the RWAF website about myxi and VHD vaccinations. It says on there that VHD should be done yearly. It even says about the 14 days gap between the 2, so it's a winner Thumbs Up

For some reason, I can't link it Hissy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 pm

How odd, its certainly once a year for VHD. What does everyone think about this all in 1 jab? I think i prefer the current vaccination programme.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm not sure tbh. I like the idea of it being less stressful on the buns. If it's only to be done once a year, that's 2 less jabs than they usually have to endure.

But on the other hand, if you have no reason to visit the vet other than to get the vaccinations, the buns are going to lose out on the routine checks they get at every vaccination.

But tbh, if this takes off as expected, I don't think we will be left with any choice.

I've been pondering over this for a while Hmmm
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I was sort of won over by the way the Home Check lady described it BUT I do like the fact if they go twice a year for jabs they then get a thorough check over twice a year. That would be a massive downside for me, as it would be more expensive just to take them for a check up.

But as I said to the Home Check lady, surely nothing can be worse than Cylap!!!!

On the same topic, slightly, does anyone know if you can get bunnies vacinated before they are due? Only I am assuming that Dougal was done in December (when he arrived in the rescue), so it would be handy if I could get both bunnies vaccinated at the same time. But it would mean his myxi would be done three months early. Is that ok, or am I better off just making another journey?
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 pm

icedancer wrote:I was sort of won over by the way the Home Check lady described it BUT I do like the fact if they go twice a year for jabs they then get a thorough check over twice a year. That would be a massive downside for me, as it would be more expensive just to take them for a check up.

But as I said to the Home Check lady, surely nothing can be worse than Cylap!!!!

On the same topic, slightly, does anyone know if you can get bunnies vacinated before they are due? Only I am assuming that Dougal was done in December (when he arrived in the rescue), so it would be handy if I could get both bunnies vaccinated at the same time. But it would mean his myxi would be done three months early. Is that ok, or am I better off just making another journey?

I think its ok to get them done a month or 2 before their due. Mine are all over the place and with 3 buns its starting to get confusing. Initially it helped to spread the cost over the year but its not a problem now as im working. I almost forgot that Marley needed his doing when i booked Maggie in! Embarassed

As for the all in 1 vacs. I cant see my vets using them unless they're cheaper. The boss is very tight with his money! I also like going 3 times a year, as i can bring up any concerns at the same time, that id otherwise have to make an extra appointment for and because mine were spread out throughout the year, my 3 would have a health check every 3 months! Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Big Ears wrote:It should defintely only be done one a year, no closer than 2 weeks to the myxi vaccination.

There is however a new vaccine coming out in March that is both myxi and VHD all in one - only needs doing once a year. This might remove any need for you to make a big deal of it with your vets, if they swap to this new vaccine, which they probably will.

Oh it will save us a lot of money if that's the case as we have paid over £400 for our Myxi and Vhd as we buy them all together as Mike vaccinates our buns as it would just cost us even more if we had them done at the Vet's and can you imagine the trips backwards and forwards with 23 rabbits ( well 22 Baby Saint can't be vaccinated due to her low immune system) .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Mr C mentioned this combined vac to me the other day, so I think Daisy will be having this next time as he is now directly under Mr C as his main vet and I am happy to be guided by him.

K x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Katieb wrote:Mr C mentioned this combined vac to me the other day, so I think Daisy will be having this next time as he is now directly under Mr C as his main vet and I am happy to be guided by him.

K x

JUST Daisy??? Laughing Havent you forgotten one or two?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:11 pm

I must admit to being a bit scared of the new all in one vaccination because it's new and I've seen discussions with very experienced people being wary of it, not sure if the main concern is whether or not it will be effective or any possible side-effects - possibly both as it's new. But, I'm also quite excited about it because:

Apparently the myxi side of the vaccination is what they've been using in Europe for a while and it is made from the same virus as myxi itself and not a simialr synthetic reproduction that our current vaccination is, therefore it should be much better protection as it is the actual virus. Re side-effects, the new vaccine doesn't require 10% under the skin (intradermal), so the skin reactions caused by this won't be a risk with the new vaccine.

The reason it can be safely given as one vaccine is that it is designed so that both bits react as the same time - they wouldn't be competing as the separate vaccines did before.

So, when FHB talked me through the new vaccine last week she raised loads of really good points about the new vaccine - especially that the myxi part of it should be far better. So, basically, if FHB thinks it's good then I'm happy to go with her judgement.

I admit I like vaccines 6 months apart as reasons stated by others that they get the health check as well. It's funny because I've spent the last two years shifting various buns' vaccs a week or two here and there to line up 8 buns so that the trips are with a few buns at a time and then this new vaccines suddenly changes everything ... in theory just 8 vaccs a year from now on.

Last edited by Big Ears on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 pm

We don't do these vaccinations in the USA. They are actually illegal in some area. Luckily, neither of these maladies is here in the USA. There are very rare cases in the Pacific Northwest, but a mountain range effectively cuts off transmissions. There are strict codes in place to prevent insect migration.

It seems a combined inoculation would be easier on the bunnies as well. I hope those diseases never come here and they find a way to eradicate it all together.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JoeyBunsMum Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 am

Mine have always had the VHD once a year. Very odd that your vets are giving it twice a year scratch

Actually, Joey went for his Myxi today and we were told about the new vaccine, which he will be getting next time.

JoeyBunsMum
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2784
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 am

I think the new vacc. sounds great Smile

Does anyone know who makes it?

I too would still like to have Stewie cehecked over every 6 months. I wonder if the BVA could be persuaded to send out an advisory to their members who start using the combo vacc. that they should also offer a six month check up for very few pounds... it's not like a consultation. I think a 5 minute appt. for say, a Fiver, would be worth doing.

I don't recall that we have any members who refuses to use medicine that's been tested on animals etc. but in case we do, as with the VHD vacc., being a live virus, the new Myxo one will have involved a/many rabbit's life at some point, so you may prefer to request one of the synthetic brands that's currently in use.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

Jay wrote:I think the new vacc. sounds great Smile

Does anyone know who makes it?

I too would still like to have Stewie cehecked over every 6 months. I wonder if the BVA could be persuaded to send out an advisory to their members who start using the combo vacc. that they should also offer a six month check up for very few pounds... it's not like a consultation. I think a 5 minute appt. for say, a Fiver, would be worth doing.

I don't recall that we have any members who refuses to use medicine that's been tested on animals etc. but in case we do, as with the VHD vacc., being a live virus, the new Myxo one will have involved a/many rabbit's life at some point, so you may prefer to request one of the synthetic brands that's currently in use.

It's made by the same people who make the current myxo vaccine Nobivac.

I'm pretty sure I've read *elsewhere* that once the virus has been created to make the vaccine and test it (obviously involves loss of life Crying or Very sad ) beyond this stage they don't have to create the virus in live rabbits to make the virus to use for the vaccine. I don't know all the technical terminology but it's not the same as how the VHD virus is made now, so once it's been made that's it, no more harvesting - so that's both myxo and VHD covered with none of the ongoing harvesting Very Happy

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 am

Oh Ok, well that's better. maybe we can do something in HM, and ask some questions of the manufacturer's.

I know that with VHD it's currently 1 rabbit : c. 4,000 vaccinations. It would be great if this was reduced to a few for the new combo - Not perfect, but then, what is?

Still, may be of concern to owners who prefer not to engage with that system.

Thanks Alison Thumbs Up

Last edited by Jay on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 am

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

Thank-you Maysie Thumbs Up

Am a bit concerned by this
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.
I'm gonna e-mail my contact at the BVA and see what they say about check-ups and the above point.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 am

Jay wrote:Thank-you Maysie Thumbs Up

Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.
I'm gonna e-mail my contact at the BVA and see what they say about check-ups and the above point.

Im sure you will, but do let us know what they say. If this is the case, then does this mean that only young rabbits, who havent been vaccinated before can use it?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 am

Jay wrote:Thank-you Maysie Thumbs Up

Oh gawd. Me too!

I would be really interested to hear what you find out Jay Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

Will do Thumbs Up
Jay