Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easter on the mend..yay!!!!!

+11
Tuckerbunnies
gentl
Amelia66
Sixer
icedancer
fiver
Sparky
Thumper2001
Dotdot
Father Jack
Vince the bunny
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Easter on the mend..yay!!!!! Empty Easter on the mend..yay!!!!!

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Easter was spayed today, DH picked her up at 3pm and she has not eaten anything or drunk anything or wee'd or pooped. It;s 7.15pm now. She had nibbled some of a carrot I sent in with her but don't know if she nibbled that before or after the op.

The flippin' caris at the garage again (had to cancel Easter's appt 2 weeks ago cos the car broke down) so I can't get anywhere.

I have tempted her with hay, cabbage, pear, nuggets, parsley and even cherios, but she isn't interested. I don't want to lose her. Can I give her a tiny dose of baby calpol (paracetamol) as she has sucked her sides in a little and doesn't seem to know what to do with herself. She is seperate from Hermione & Boo, as they keep humping each other and I don't want her pushed around by them.

Last edited by Vince the bunny on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 am; edited 3 times in total
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Easter on the mend..yay!!!!! Empty Re: Easter on the mend..yay!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

No - paracetamol is not suitable for rabbits.

I would be looking at trying to force some food into her. If you don't have any recovery type food crush some pellets and mix into a paste with water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Can you tempt her with any herbs or a bit of fenugreek?
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:37 pm

How long can she go without eating before stasis sets in? I'm going to try to stay up late with her, Easter's my little fur baby Sad
I've tried tepting her with herbs, I wafted them in her face as that worked when my other girls were done, would I have to spoon crushed pellets into her mouth?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm

If she will take them that way - ideally you would syringe feed. If you have to use a spoon then using the thin handle end may be easier than the bowl end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 pm

OK, thanks Cheryl, should I do that now or wait till a bit later in the evening? I'm assuming if she doesn't eat overnight, she is in trouble?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

After Tigger's op she had a little food in the surgery but ate nothing at home until the middle of the night. This may be the case for Easter too.

Lots of eating vibes for Easter
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks Dot Dot. Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 pm

You should be able to ring your vets (or a vet) out of hours and speak to someone about your concerns. If it is your own vets then they should be able to give you an idea when she was operated on and what pain meds she has had. This should give you an idea of whether she is in pain or just recovering from the GA. It is a difficult to call as to when you should feed her - too much disturbance could make her more stressed and prone to stasis. Is she warm and comfy - a snugglesafe/water bottle may be what she needs. I reckon Maysie could give better advice as to when to feed, but I think there is no harm in trying now, but don't get too stressed if she refuses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Come on Easter! Get nomming!!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Our Humum has nursed buns through four castrations and eight spays. Some of the buns barely seemed to eat or drink for a good 12 hours after, and then only quite sparingly for the next 12. She would never collect them from the vet's until they had eaten something though (and I don't think our vet would let them go until they had).

As long as there is a good variety of food around for them to choose to eat, she's never worried about them too much, especially once they have started to eat *something*...

Just a thought - is her water in a bowl or bottle? Just that a bowl might be easier for her at the moment.

Have you been given oral pain relief to give her from tomorrow? They should have injected her with something that should last 24 hours or so.

Bear in mind that does can look a bit skinny after a spay, especially when it's the winter coat which has been shaved under the belly.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Another thought - you say she is separate from Hermione and Boo.... is she actually indoors?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 pm

oh dear vibes vibes vibes Hugs Hugs
come on easter Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes, she is indoors in a guinea pig cage. She is bedded down on a soft fleece. I will put a water bowl in for her now.

She hasn't come home with any meds but was given something to last her 24 hours.

Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 pm

I'd be interested in Maysie's opinion, but I wouldn't be too worried overnight as long as she has food and water available if she wants them.

Does she seem bright or still dopey? The GA knocked our Roo out overnight, yet I was running around like a loony within a few hours.

I'm a bit surprised you've not been given any more pain relief for her Hmmm we all had Loxicom for the next two days. It might be worth querying that with the vet in the morning...
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 pm

I was never given any extra pain relief for Tigger after her spay. She was knocked for six, but by the morning she was quite bright, her food had been eaten and pooing had started.
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm

When Florence was spayed, for a couple of days she wouldn't eat anything unless I handed it to her. It was good fun!! The day she came home she also would only eat hay, despite having all her favourites in her bowl. She was a right diva with it.

I hope Easter is ok

Hugs
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Sparky wrote:Our Humum has nursed buns through four castrations and eight spays. Some of the buns barely seemed to eat or drink for a good 12 hours after, and then only quite sparingly for the next 12. She would never collect them from the vet's until they had eaten something though (and I don't think our vet would let them go until they had).

As long as there is a good variety of food around for them to choose to eat, she's never worried about them too much, especially once they have started to eat *something*...

Just a thought - is her water in a bowl or bottle? Just that a bowl might be easier for her at the moment.

Have you been given oral pain relief to give her from tomorrow? They should have injected her with something that should last 24 hours or so.

I had just written this but Sparky beat me too. Neither Hollie or Rosie really started eating until the morning after. They had a heat pad, their fave foods and a bowl of warm water as buns seem to like it warm. By morning they were both eating normally. I am sure they had an injection of Metaclopramide before they come home too to help keep their tummies moving.

Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:06 pm

i would probably suggest making sure she is somewhere warm and quiet and leaving her alone to recover, checking her often. Make sure she has a choice of food to nibble should she want too, i know a lot of does aren't interested in food for a couple hours after their spay although im no help as too the maximum time they can go without food before stasis starts
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Agree with all of this really.
Even the stress could be stopping her from eating a while, Tigger had her VHD earlier and she came home in an incredibly bad mood and would not eat a thing, not even her favourites. She just needed some time to chill out. Rolling Eyes
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:35 am

Is it possible to put Easter right next to the pair
so she can see and smell them. She may be
lonely on top of everything else. Poor little
mite. Love
Come on Easter and nom non REAL good for your mommy.
Poop REAL good too. Mountains of it!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:18 am

I find a lot of bunnies that are spayed/neutered don't eat the same day we have had a few in our time, usually they start to eat the next day so I wouldn't worry just yet. Bunnies are a bit like us when they are feeling a bit off colour they don't fancy anything to eat plus the GA make them feel sleepy and groggy. I think you will find by tomorow they will be eating.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 am

agree with everyone else,spike ate some herbs almost right away and was poo'ing and walking about been naughty but snowflake,all she did for about 2 days was sleep,she hardly ate anything,it took a full day to see some poo's,i was never given anything for mine ither for pain relief,how is she today?
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:59 am

Thank you all for your help and vibes Thumbs Up

Overnight Easter had eaten some parsley and wee'd. By 8am she had done a grand total of 3 poops! cheers
I thought she might be lonely so I put Boo in with her but all he did was tip her water bowl over and eat all her noms Rolling Eyes she turned her back on him, so I removed him.
After the school run I put the pen up on the patio and she is with the others now. She started to move about more and ate some more parsley and nibbled on her hay. Yay!!!!!

I was worried about Hermione as she is still very grumpy and hormonal and she kinda chased her a lttle at first but all seems ok now. Boo has been a gentleman (well apart from earlier - ahem)and is being kind to her, such a gentle bunny.

Hopefully she will be ok now, I can't tell who's poops are who's but she has company, fresh air (it's a sunny day here in Bristol) hay, herbs and Pip and she is moving around and taking an interest in her surroundings. I'll keep checking her this morning and check the wound site too.

I feel mean putting her through this, but it is for the best in the long run.

Thank you to everyone for replying to my post, I was real worried last night. Even DH was crouched down talking to her and offering her treats Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am

I'm so pleased to hear that she's better this morning Very Happy

I'm with you, putting them through these things makes me feel awful but you are right, it's all for their own good Thumbs Up
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next