Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics

+6
icedancer
Sparky
Father Jack
Thumper2001
marleyNfriends
Vince the bunny
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics Empty Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics

Post by Vince the bunny Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 pm

I have decided to move the guinea pig boys out of the rabbit's playhouse. It doesn't feel right anymore having pigs and buns together, especially since Buddy is so small, I worry about him. So, I'm going to build a hutch and put them in the aviary on top of the bun's hutch in there.

I will need to use recycled wood from Ikea as I have no funds for a hutch, so how do you go about building a hutch from scratch? Do you need to build a frame first or can you just whack the sides together with nails or screws? I'm a bit stumped with this one Laughing

Last edited by Vince the bunny on Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics Empty Re: Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics

Post by marleyNfriends Thu May 10, 2012 4:48 pm

There are all sorts of ways to do it, i think the best way is to build a frame and then add the wood, but if you havent got the funds, then i guess you could just whack them together! Laughing A piggy hutch i got for free was done in this way, and it was really solid and sturdy!! I would use screws though rather than nails.

Im not the best person to ask though! Maysie's Mike builds their hutches, maybe ask Maysie for some advice??
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics Empty Re: Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics

Post by Vince the bunny Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm

I made a nest box in the playhouse by wedgeing in the sides, no screws at all! It is so tightly wedged there is no danger of it collapsing (unless the pressure causes the playhouse to burst Laughing Shocked )
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu May 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Vince the bunny wrote: I made a nest box in the playhouse by wedgeing in the sides, no screws at all! It is so tightly wedged there is no danger of it collapsing (unless the pressure causes the playhouse to burst Laughing Shocked )

Shocked scratch Im intrigued! Laughing How did you do that???
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu May 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I know nothing about hutch building, but OH is a joiner and I know you should def use screws rather than nails. Screws will get a much better hold than nails, so it will be much more secure Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Yeah, I will use screws, experience has taught me it's better that way Smile

In the play house I put in a front with a cut out for them to get in and out, then put in the back, they were a very tight fit, I then measured two sides and wedged them in and put a roof on it so Icould clean it out. It fits flush with half of the play house.
Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics 003-13
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Thu May 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Thats fab hehe. I tried to make something similar, but it didnt go very well! Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm

PM me a list of what timber you have got in what sizes and I'll get hudad to design something for you with a cutting list Smile
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Thu May 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Thank you, I will be going to Ikea either tomorrow (friday) or monday next week so it greatly depends on what they have in their recycling bin as to what I can make.

It will be sitting inside an avairy and pigs don't really chew on stuff like the buns do. It will need to be no bigger than 5 and a half feet wide so it sits on the buns hutch safely.

thank you Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Thu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

If it'as for the piggies, it doesn't need to be very tall. Hudad thinks 12"-14" should be plenty for height if that helps in your selection of timber.
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri May 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Father Jack

I got some laminated chipboard stuff from Ikea this morning, 3 long pieces and several short pieces. I measure the long bits to 5ft 8 inches as then it would fit in the avairy. It was kinda obvious how it was going to go together so I scewed a back top and bottom together (right barrel of laughs that was when you are trying to do it by yourself Rolling Eyes ) Then I measured up 2 side bits and built a frame with some spare timber I had on to which I can hinge some mesh doors onto.

It's a bit 'homemade' looking Laughing but it'll do for the pigs inside the avairy. Just need to pop to Wickes tomorrow for some extra bits of timber and 2 wire panels,and they will be able to move in! I had some spare lino so put that in the bottom to protect the base.

I will post a photo tomorrow when I have done it. Thanks for offering to help me, I got carried away with the moment once I got the 'wood' home Laughing I love building things Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics Empty Built It!!

Post by Vince the bunny Sat May 12, 2012 9:13 pm

I built it! I'm really pleased how it turned out, I haven't ever built a hutch before so all in all I'm chuffed with it. My main priorities was that it was big (it's 5ft 8inches so it would fit in the avairy), airy and bright and easy to clean. I put some textured lino on the base, and as it is in the avairy, rain won't get on it.

Here it is

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics 026-10

It's just pieces of laminated chipboard screwed together, with a frame built on the front to support 3 opening doors for easy access/cleaning, and mesh at the whole front to aid in ventilation and to keep it bright and airy.

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics 027-7
Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics 030-2

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics 028-3

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics 029-4

The best bit it it cost me nowt to make! Well, I did buy 2 mesh panels and 3 pieces of wood, but that only came to £8. I got the wood from Ikea's recycling bit in the car park, and the hardware I already had.

I've added a towel to drape over the front overnight, and I may make some little hidey holes for the winter to keep them warm (I'll cover it with a duvet or something anyway for extra insulation)

The boys seem to like it Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat May 12, 2012 9:21 pm

That's really impressive Very Happy

Hudad just said 'I thought she said she had limited skills' - high praise indeed from such a power-tool freak Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Wow, very impressed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 pm

LOL, I have limited tools, a knackered old saw that needs sharpening (can you sharpen them?) and some over used screwdrivers that I bought for using on the motorbikes donkeys years ago.
I do have unlimited imagination though Laughing I'm already looking at building Vince and the girls a hutch to match it.... hmmmmmmmmm. I feel another trip to Ikea coming on.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat May 12, 2012 9:53 pm

It's fab! And the boys seem very impressed!
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Shocked I was not expecting that!! Its fab!! Very Happy Lovely and spacious, i bet the piggies love it!!! And for £8 Thumbs Up Its spot on Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun May 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Blimey! Thats amazing!

Im speechless!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sun May 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Vince the bunny wrote:LOL, I have limited tools, a knackered old saw that needs sharpening (can you sharpen them?) and some over used screwdrivers that I bought for using on the motorbikes donkeys years ago.
I do have unlimited imagination though Laughing I'm already looking at building Vince and the girls a hutch to match it.... hmmmmmmmmm. I feel another trip to Ikea coming on.

If your saw is a hardpoint saw, hudad says to bin it, they can't be re-sharpened. He recommends getting a Bacho 244 (blue handle) for about £7-£8 from any local builder's merchants. He uses them himself and they last forever.

Homemade hutch ideas please BUILT with Pics Logo%20bahco%20244
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun May 13, 2012 4:18 pm

That's brilliant and Mike think's it's great Thumbs Up

Mike has those saw's Father Jack they are very good he said Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Sun May 13, 2012 7:40 pm

I will have a look for one of those saws, thanks for the tip. My current one is getting to the point where it wouldn't cut through hot sh** No

Can you buy screwdrivers on a ratchet? That would save my poor wrists.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sun May 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Yes you can but hudad would recommend a cordless drill driver. He'll have a look on eBay and Amazon and recommend a few Smile
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotdot Mon May 14, 2012 12:28 pm

How fab is that!!! Well done!!
Dotdot
Dotdot
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fall3n-ang3l Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 pm

omg,how did i miss this thread Shocked i love your projects,it looks amazing
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Guess what??? I'm building another one!!

Vince has been chewing his hutch and has almost chewed the legs off Shocked The hutch I have made is quite solid and heavy so I decided to make another one. So I went down to Ikea again to get some more materials. There's no stopping me now! Laughing Must buy some decent tools though.

I'll post another piccy when I have finished it. It should look real smart in the avairy now, with two matching hutches Smile
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next