Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice please

2 posters

Go down

Advice please Empty Advice please

Post by Pipstrel Sat May 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Hello,

Hope you are all well. haven't been around for a while but once again I am in need of advice if you wouldn't mind.
I have a neutered female nethie x and a neutered male mini rex x who have been together about 18months and no problems with them except the odd bit of chasing around pellet time and in spring, the male (Mac) does occassionally get chunks of fur out of Florence but nothing major.
About 6 weeks ago I added a 16week old neutered female dutch into the mix which went well, a bit of chasing for a day or two but then everything settled down and they were all quite happy together. I bonded them in neutral territory etc and then put them into their brand new massive hutch and run.
The past week however there has been lots of chasing around, plenty of fur flying although no full on fighting. Mac does chase Florence and Roxy in the morning when we give them the pellets. we have made sure they have got plenty of food at all times, lots of toys etc. However I have just had a good check of Florence and Roxy and they are both covered in scabs, Roxy (dutch baby) is the worst. Mac has not a scratch on him so is obviously doing most of the damage although I have seen both the girls chasing each other at times. I need help! Should I take Roxy back out again, get another big Neutered male or what. Mac is by far the biggest and the greediest so I'm not sure if this has any bearing on it at all.
Any advice as to what I can do would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

H x

Pipstrel
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Advice please Empty Re: Advice please

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 4:49 pm

TBH, although you have seen Mac chasing the girls I would be more inclined to think it is the girls who are fighting. If it were Mac the girls would have turned around and nipped him back at some point - and rex fur is not the best for resisting bites. I would be thinking about initially doing all the best bonding practice - reducing their space, making sure there are enough litter trays, feeding in multiple spots and see what happens. I think it is early days to be considering another boy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat May 12, 2012 5:05 pm

I agree, just take a step back with the bonding process. It'll also give you a chance to observe them a bit more closely and see how the three interact Thumbs Up

How long before introducing them was the 16-week old one spayed?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down