Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need advice too please

5 posters

Go down

I need advice too please Empty I need advice too please

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat May 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello ladies, I wondered if you could point me in the right direction as I have a bit of a problem. Despite cutting down on Holly's food, she is getting a problem where her pellet poos are sticking to her bottom. I have cut out the fruit and she only as a piece of pepper and cucumber now with her daily salad. She is perfectly fine in herself so I know she isn't ill but she has a bit of a dirty bottom, bob and trousers. It doesn't help that she has taken to lying in her box so her sides are all wee-weey.

I think the only option is to give her a botty bath in the sink with Paul's help. She is going to absolutely hate it but there is too much just to turn her over and pluck at it and that will cause her even more distress as she is a very spooky bun anyway. I also don't want her to get cold as bunny fur is very hard to dry. I could ask the vet nurses to do it when she has her check-up at the end of the month but that seems rather a long time to wait. Any ideas please ladies? Thanks a million. Wave

hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

I need advice too please Empty Re: I need advice too please

Post by woodwench Sat May 12, 2018 3:24 pm

You could cut the salad out completely for a few days to see what happens but I'd be inclined to bring her vet check-up nearer and ask them to do a thorough check of her hips and spine for signs of arthritis. Lying in her litter box could be a sign of reluctance to move as can the dirty bot.... she may be finding reaching under to take a pellet is becoming painful. It maybe an X-ray is needed to give a clear picture of arthritis if the vet suspects that's what wrong and if so you could get them to clean her up while she's affected by the G.A..
Hope she is OK soon. Hugs Hugs Hugs
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Sun May 13, 2018 6:18 am

A lot of vets use a bunny box for xrays now rather than G.A.
So the rabbits are completely concious.

The vets will be able to help clean her even consciously if your insured it wont be covered .

Has there been any chnage in her diet? Is she over weight? If not then I'm thinking the same as woodwench l, possible arthritis.
Let us know how you get on

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun May 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you Woodwench hunni, I think I will cut the salad out altogether and see how it goes, or only put the tiniest amount in so she still knows she is having some. It will be a good idea to take her to the vets even though she is generally on top form.

I have to admit she is a little overweight Gemma sweetie and we are addressing this also. She tries to pinch the cat's biscuits and now we have to pick them up every time puss-puss leaves his bowl. There has been no change in her diet so it may well be arthritis, I try not to think of the age she is.

I will keep you updated ladies and thank you again.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 pm

How is she?

I can only echo what the other ladies have said.

I would cut out the cucumber. It's a hell of a lot of water!

I know I don't need to tell you this but it's starting to warm up. Have you considered rear guard to protect her from flystrike?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 pm

We have this problem with Philip, he HATES botty baths and its very stressful for him but sometimes necessary. I feel awful having to do it but have no option Sad I had the vet clip his bum last night so theres less fluff for the poos to stick to. Our boys get no fruit/veg at all, just the odd dandelion leaf/small handful of grass (daily they just get a few pellets and ad lib hay) to try and keep Philip as clean as possible :/
Good luck with Holly, I hope you manage to find a solution with her diet

Gayle x
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content