Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myxi Question

4 posters

Go down

Myxi Question Empty Myxi Question

Post by Becca6 Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:18 pm

I'm not sure whether Bella and Tarquin need to have their six monthly myxi vaccination, which is due in September.

Last year my vets were recommending six monthly because of all the outbreaks, but when I took Bell and T on Thursday for their VHD vaccination they said they hadn't seen many myxi bunnies this year, and that unless there was a sudden outbreak in the next few weeks, they felt it probably wasn't necessary to have it again this year.

Any thoughts? Obviously I want to do the best for Bell and T but things are very very tight at the moment, and though I'd put their vaccinations above other things and would find the money, if they can manage without it right now it would help a bit. There's no question that they'll be having the next vaccination in May.
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 738
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Myxi Question Empty Re: Myxi Question

Post by Maizey Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 pm

I personally would have them done six monthly at the moment.We have had a wet summer again which means the mosquito's and biting insects are breding more rapidly and they spread myxi
Maizey
Maizey
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Whereabouts do you live - are you in a 'high risk' area? Would your vet notify you if there was a sudden outbreak?

For peace of mind I would go with the six monthlies.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Sixer wrote:Whereabouts do you live - are you in a 'high risk' area? Would your vet notify you if there was a sudden outbreak?

For peace of mind I would go with the six monthlies.

I'm in Sheffield, and live in quite a busy area, but within a short distance of countryside. My vet said they'd not had many in this year with myxi and suggested I ring end of September/October to find out if there'd been an outbreak. I'd normally just have them done, but thought I'd ask while I was there as I hadn't heard as many reports on forums as there were last year, and with him saying they're not high-risk I don't know whether to err on the side of caution and get it done, or wait and see if there's a sudden outbreak and get them done then. I suppose if we got a very damp August/September the risk may increase again.

They were done mid March so would be due mid September.

Last edited by Becca6 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:38 pm

My lot are all due again in October this year and I have to admit I have only had them done annually this time. My vets have also said there have been very few cases in light of last years epidemic but one branch recommends bi-annual vaccinations all the time anyway.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Sooz wrote:My lot are all due again in October this year and I have to admit I have only had them done annually this time. My vets have also said there have been very few cases in light of last years epidemic but one branch recommends bi-annual vaccinations all the time anyway.

Bell and T are the first rabbits I've had who have been vaccinated for myxi - with Harvey I kept asking and they always said he wasn't high risk and it was up to me so I didn't get it done, though they always recommended VHD, which he had every year. But then when I got Bell last July they suddenly were saying myxi should be done yearly, and then because Bell and T were done when I got them, because of the bad year for it, they recommended having the next one done in March, but again if I remember rightly, it wasn't them saying it really needed doing six monthly, more that they needed stronger protection from March onwards, though I may have got that wrong.
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:54 pm

The Vaccine only gives protection for 6 months

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Personally I could not take the risk of vaccinating once a year. I would never forgive myself if one of my Buns contracted Myxi during the 6 months that they were not covered by vaccination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca6 Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Jack's-Jane wrote:The Vaccine only gives protection for 6 months

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Personally I could not take the risk of vaccinating once a year. I would never forgive myself if one of my Buns contracted Myxi during the 6 months that they were not covered by vaccination.

That's really interesting - thanks for that Smile

But I find it confusing that they say:

"In the present state of knowledge no firm recommendation for revaccination frequency can be made but it is suggested that animals should be revaccinated annually in May/June just prior to the myxomatosis season as most myxomatosis in Britain occurs in late summer, autumn and early winter months. Where there is high risk of myxomatosis infection revaccination every six months is suggested."

Surely they should be saying vaccinate six monthly if it only lasts that long? Hmmm
Becca6
Becca6
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:06 pm

I agree that they should. I just go by what my Vet recommends.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down